Status
Not open for further replies.
img_1777.jpg

3P Preshave
Simpsons Duke 3
Mongoose
Captain Sharp Blade (1)
Myrsol Plastic Shave Aftershave

Found a rack at the boot sale today. The Beaudelaire is a complex strong scent but I do like it. I can see it would be one that's not for everyone though, get a sniff of one if you can.

20150920_214846 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor Head: EJ DE89
Razor Handle: Solid stainless steel length 100mm, weight 92 grams
Blade : Polsilver SI
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Shaver Heaven Neroli
Post Shave: Pino Sylvestre AS
Three pass shave. The handle is heavy so I am careful with it but the result was a no irritation no bleeding shave. Post shave feel is wonderful.

Altough longing to return to the "ease" of a Western style straight, I've determined that becoming proficient on the kami will only come if I spend at least 3-4 weeks of daily use.

Talk about having the right attitude and expectations @Dale.Whiley! I know for sure you'll be keeping me company in Kamisori land mate. Good luck with your endeavours. You'll also find out in a few weeks that your your all-round technique (western straights, even DEs) improves enormously as a result of sticking with the Kami and the traditional shaving style. Happy shaving!

150921_zpsijj1lrnv.png

Face Wash : PAA Menthol Pre-Shave Soap
Pre Shave : @Draco Noir Pre-Shave Oil
Brush : Shavemac Custom Silvertip
Soap : La Savonniere du Moulin
Razor : Kamisori (Hoshi Tombo Symmetrical Grind)
After Shave : L'Occitane Cade AS Balm

This morning's shave was sublime. I've been waiting a while to try this razor out - and boy the wait was worth it. It delivered a magnificent shave : very sharp but totally smooth and comfortable. The up-curved handle sits in the hand beautifully and permits a high degree of control no matter what kind of stroke is needed - up, down, forehand, backhand. The effortless glide of XTG and ATG strokes had me amazed, to the point where I started to be concerned about getting overconfident...

The supporting cast of soap, brush, balm etc were marvellous too but the undoubted star of the show was the Hoshi Tombo Kamisori :)

Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap Shaver Heaven Hubba Hubba
Razor Gillette Slim H2 (6)
Blade GSB
Post Shave Argan Oil & Madre Labs Unscented Witch Hazel (alcohol free)
Aftershave Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

After a wonderful Spring weekend, Melbourne is returning to cloudy weather. I think I might have to put the Clubman Special Reserve away for the warmer weather - it was a tad cloying this morning for 5 minutes or so until it dissipated somewhat.

Quick two pass face lather and ready to face the new week

img_1777.jpg

3P Preshave
Simpsons Duke 3
Mongoose
Captain Sharp Blade (1)
Myrsol Plastic Shave Aftershave

Found a rack at the boot sale today. The Beaudelaire is a complex strong scent but I do like it. I can see it would be one that's not for everyone though, get a sniff of one if you can.
It's in the travelling box, ai many should be abke to dample it.
BTW, where did you obtain yours from ?
Am in the market for a tub or two.

20150921_SOTDSSpace_zpswjwcdxdr.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, warm water
Razor 1st pass: Universal Shavette
Blade for Shavette: Derby Extra (1)
Razor 2nd-4th pass: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade for DE: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon 2-Band
Soap: Mike's Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

OK shave with the shavette - almost no blood, but some irritation...this is really hard. Wolf and Ladas made up for it though and Mike's oh Mike's - what a fantastic (dare I say perfect?) soap!

Quite the eclectic shave this evening. Kamisori for the adrenalin rush, Australian soap and scuttle for stability, Turkish brush because it works, GEM G-bar with blades from England to mow down the rough patches away from the fairway with my main weed wacker tonight the 1958 Tanifuji Japanese straight I got recently. I took the bull by the tail or somewhere close to that and hung on as I went for the top lip, chin and throat. The steel in the blade was amazing, everything just popped in fear. Whiskers surrendered with such dignity tonight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121440857844?item=121440857844&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

I didn't pay anything like that price.

I was thrilled how the Tanifuji honed up. I reset the bevel, removed a tiny chip and worked up to the finishing stone. I really appreciate the Gold Dollar I got from @Mark as I at least have a true standard to aim for. Honing is almost as much fun as shaving with the straight.

If you see a Tanifuji at a reasonable price, grab it, the blade is sensational.

Steve

Kamisori: Inoue Fujisuke
Razor: Ever-Ready 24/14
Blade: Personna Gem (1)
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Bald As Olive Oil
Aftershave: Myrsol Antesol

Wielding the kamisori is getting easier with every shave. I love the sensation as it cleaves off the whiskers. It's a gentle shave that leaves the skin feeling unmolested. I'd concur with @Draco Noir's observation that the skills developed using the naked blade transfer to the use of safety razors. The kamisori forces corrections in technique that the safety razor does not.

Problem areas: right below the bottom lip, around the Adam's Apple, and the right side of my neck.

Quite the eclectic shave this evening. Kamisori for the adrenalin rush, Australian soap and scuttle for stability, Turkish brush because it works, GEM G-bar with blades from England to mow down the rough patches away from the fairway with my main weed wacker tonight the 1958 Tanifuji Japanese straight I got recently. I took the bull by the tail or somewhere close to that and hung on as I went for the top lip, chin and throat. The steel in the blade was amazing, everything just popped in fear. Whiskers surrendered with such dignity tonight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121440857844?item=121440857844&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

I didn't pay anything like that price.

I was thrilled how the Tanifuji honed up. I reset the bevel, removed a tiny chip and worked up to the finishing stone. I really appreciate the Gold Dollar I got from @Mark as I at least have a true standard to aim for. Honing is almost as much fun as shaving with the straight.

If you see a Tanifuji at a reasonable price, grab it, the blade is sensational.

Steve
Well done Steve, I see you're very passionate, Tanifujis are great, that's not to single other Japanese razors out. Just about 99% of the ones I've honed and shaved were sensational!

SOTD Saturday, September 19
5F440C93-4D11-43A9-AAF7-88A263E7B3CA_zpslt6dnsgu.jpg

Cold water shave.
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Drogon Noir. Face lather
Brush: Edwn Jagger badger
Razor: Inoue FujiSuke kamisori (thanks @Mark)

Picked up the Kamisori from the PO this morning, went to Men's Shed and got home around Midday. Staight into the shave den and with a lot of trepidation I lathered-up for my first shave with a kamisori.

Altough I found some of the angles a little difficult at first as I purposed to "stay traditional" and only use one hand, I found the kami a dream to use. Without doubt the kami is sharp. The only knick I had was old faithful, a mole on my neck that if I forget to shave around, it reminds me it is there.

I feel that the kami, the blade being shorter in length than a western style straight, requires less skin stretching and technique to achieve a close shave. I was surprised with how user friendly the kami is. As I learn the one-hand shave technique and different angles of the shave the pleasure in using the kami will only increase. The kami has already replaced my straights as my favoured blade after just one shave. It really is a joy to use. Over the Christmas break I intend to take off the plastic handle and replace it with leather lacing to make it look "more traditional".
Fourth day: same photo: same setup.

Day 4 of my kamisori adventure & all the glimpses I had of a truely great shave came together this morning. No doubt aided by a great soap, this blade performed flawlessly. My shave was as close as I have had with any straight or DE and I know with more practice I will find the angles and techniques for traditional one handed kamosori shaving easier to perform.

I thought straights were the ultimate for enjoying the "whole production of wet shaving" but kami's take it up a notch. These are a shaving weapon.

Preshave: @Draco Noir preshave oil
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Shavemac 177
Soap: St James of London Founders Reserve
Post Shave: 4711 AS spalsh
Two pass shave with a clean up. The St James cream is an adequate performer with a very nice scent. No irritation no cuts. The replacement Shavemac brush has not lost a single hair and is a beautiful brush to use. I have been in the zone for the past two weeks as the shaves have all been excellent .
20150921_230952 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

150922_zpshpqrpv2m.png

Face Wash : Shower
Pre Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Paladin (kindly loaned by @Lifes a Peach)
Soap : Saponificio Varesino 70th (thanks to @StueyB)
Razor : Western Style KikuOkan 77
After Shave : Fine Orange Noir

@Lifes a Peach very kindly loaned me this brush at our weekly lunch last week, and I've been avoiding it ever since. The rationale is pretty simple - I don't want to fall in love with something that is pretty much impossible to get. I was reassured when I took it out of the box - it felt for all the world like an old coir doormat, suitable for exfoliating a pet rhinoceros. After soaking in warm water while I showered however, it transformed into a much softer feeling beast. It made light work out of producing a beautiful lather from the SV 70th Anniversary soap, and was totally comfortable while lathering the face up.

Another first-time razor from the small batch I recently received back from @Mark, and yet another delightful surprise. Although having no Kamisori atttributes per se, the short (55mm) blade length felt very familiar and comfortable. This razor features a much more hollow grind than most of my little family - I'd put it at 1/2 - full hollow. A very different face feel, but also very pleasant. I'm looking forward to exploring this particular razor a lot more.

A quick splash of Fine Orange Noir (a particular favourite of @Draco and @Lifes a Peach), and I'm a happy camper :)

150922_zpshpqrpv2m.png

Face Wash : Shower
Pre Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Paladin (kindly loaned by @Lifes a Peach)
Soap : Saponificio Varesino 70th (thanks to @StueyB)
Razor : Western Style KikuOkan 77
After Shave : Fine Orange Noir

@Lifes a Peach very kindly loaned me this brush at our weekly lunch last week, and I've been avoiding it ever since. The rationale is pretty simple - I don't want to fall in love with something that is pretty much impossible to get. I was reassured when I took it out of the box - it felt for all the world like an old coir doormat, suitable for exfoliating a pet rhinoceros. After soaking in warm water while I showered however, it transformed into a much softer feeling beast. It made light work out of producing a beautiful lather from the SV 70th Anniversary soap, and was totally comfortable while lathering the face up.

Another first-time razor from the small batch I recently received back from @Mark, and yet another delightful surprise. Although having no Kamisori atttributes per se, the short (55mm) blade length felt very familiar and comfortable. This razor features a much more hollow grind than most of my little family - I'd put it at 1/2 - full hollow. A very different face feel, but also very pleasant. I'm looking forward to exploring this particular razor a lot more.

A quick splash of Fine Orange Noir (a particular favourite of @Draco and @Lifes a Peach), and I'm a happy camper :)
Splendid looking shave @Draco Noir!

tXjy5OI.jpg

4 day growth here - enjoying being a bit of a bum this week!
Started with a couple of my straights - A Gotta (pretty dull edge - sold as "shave ready" - definitely not - lots of tugging).
Moved to an Old Wade and Butcher (bought from Whipped Dog) which faired much better but still seems pretty blunt compared to the Ralf Aust I have.
I know my straight razor technique needs a lot of work but there appears to be a vast difference between the 3 straights I own. I have been very careful with my stropping so I don't think I've affected the edges. The Ralf Aust is much much keener every time I've tried it.

Eventually reached for the ATT H2 which felt great. I seem to have found the correct angle!

Proraso pre
Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Omega Boar
ATT H2 Razor on Kronos handle
Myrsol Antesol
Myrsol Emulsion
Tom Ford Oud Wood (sample)
Triumph & Disaster Gameface

Always a BBS when shaving after >2-3 days of growth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.