Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
150924_zpsxwtc4sst.png

Impressive brush Draco. Is it a custom (i.e. you installed the knot on an existing handle) or bought the whole shebang off the shelves at Romera? The turning of that olive wood looks superb.​

1vw9X6Y.png

A Stirling Shave

Pre-Shave: Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Simpson Duke 3
Soap: Stirling Ozark Mountain
Razor: Weber PH with Bulldog handle
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Post-shave: Stirling Coniferous Witch Hazel, Stirling Sharp Dressed Man

1. Wonderfully rich lather made for a wonderful shave. Never gone wrong with Stirling soaps.
2. The jury is out on the Stirling Witch Hazel. No risk of knocking Thayer's off my shelf.
3. Stirling Sharp Dressed Man is a damn fine aftershave. Nice longevity.

Last edited:
Kamisori: Inoue Fujisuke
Razor: Ever-Ready 24/14
Blade: Personna Gem (4)
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Bald As Olive/Lanolin
Aftershave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

@bald as came around this evening to drop off his latest soap and a couple of freshly honed razors for me to try. The soap has the same base formulation as before but now with a healthy dollop of lanolin. It test lathered just as easily as the last soap (i.e. really easily) and had all its predecessor's stability.

It painted on luxuriously. On the face the 'horse's saddle' scent was quite noticeable. I happen to enjoy that smell a lot but some would find it off-putting. It would be easy to mask with essential oils though. It gave an excellent shave with superb glide but I can't say with certainty that it had more glide than the vanilla base. Having said that, my kamisori skills are not yet developed so take that observation with a pinch of menthol. The post-shave was brilliant. I think it is incrementally better than the vanilla in this regard.

One small downside is that the soap is now a bit 'friable'. In both the test lather and the shave a couple of small pieces of soap came off into the brush. This is not something that adversely affected the shave but it must be taken into consideration.

I'll very much enjoy using this soap over the next month or so and making up my mind whether it surpasses the vanilla. I'll give the razors a go some time next week. Thanks very much Steve!

Tell you what Adelaide is quickly climbing the ranks in the 'wet-shaving place to be', with the likes of @khun_diddy , @bald as , @alfredus , et. al.

Not meaning to detract from other cities living in the dim shadows...like Darwin and Canberra. Yawn!

I shaved all out cut throat tonight with only one small nick. I used a Bengall 5/8 round nose and it handled beautifully. Under the nose and the chin took awhile but still ended up with a very clean result.

Soap was a test batch with Shea Butter
Plissone brush
Bengall 5/8
2 passes DFS

and ------- time will give me the lessons I need !!

@khun_diddy thanks for the feedback on the soap.

12049435_10203677772983328_4760039068100921653_n.jpg

NE1410S?

Been away for a few days travelling with carry-on luggage only.
You know what that means? No checked baggage.
You know what that means? No straight, no DE
You know what that means? No happy hunter of stills.

Was a work trip so had to shave. If you fellas ever need to appreciate your gear again use a cartridge for a few days. Used some three blade lubricated thingiemejig and it was awful. Tugging away, clogging up, pure mindlessness.

So what a relief to be back.

Since I packed up some samples last night I stumbled on my old favourite Speick again and wondered how it would go with a straight shave. In one word: "fucking superb"! Well I know that's technically two words but not how I say it and think it. Often easy to overlook the staples when you got the likes of MdC, Caties Bubbles, etc., in the cabinet. There was absolutely noting I could fault the lather on.
If you got some Speick at home, then give it a whirl, you might be surprised.
If you don't got some, then splash out the $8 and get yourself a stick from MensBiz (http://www.mensbiz.com.au/shop-by-brand/speick/speick-shaving-soap-stick.html).
If don't got some, are curious, but are also a tight arse then shoot me a PM and we'll get a few shaves out to you.

Oh yeah, how good was the whole shave overall? Best straight shave yet!!!! No fucking doubt. I know I only say that after shaving with a quarter hollow, but the edge, feel and weight of this Solingen full hollow is perfection....yeah and @Mark 's honing might help a bit too I suppose. I'm sitting here with 80% BBS, zero irritation and a smile the size of a man whose landed on a desert island of women who've not seen a man in decades.

....F/Extra is the cherry on top.

Fucking Fantastic Friday!

Been away for a few days travelling with carry-on luggage only.
You know what that means? No checked baggage.
You know what that means? No straight, no DE

Used some three blade lubricated thingiemejig and it was awful. Tugging away, clogging up, pure mindlessness.

If you got some Speick at home, then give it a whirl, you might be surprised.
Was thinking of carrying on a loaded Schick injector next time I travel with hand luggage. Anyone know if that would get through security?
+1 on the Speick. A constant in my travel kit.

Was thinking of carrying on a loaded Schick injector next time I travel with hand luggage. Anyone know if that would get through security?
If the blade is removable then I'd think not
....and hope not. As painful as it is not being able to carry on my preferred shaving kit I'd hate to think what someone could do in a plane with a pack of blades and nothing but the end in mind.

I thought the Speick in your photo looked odd @stillshunter. I hope you didn't lather up the Speick deodorant stick!
Nice pick-up @possumbelly . This is a DIY pop-up job. Beats contending with how the shave stick comes natively. Turns to shredded foil and slop pretty quick I found.

20150924_215059 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 head and Windrose handle
Blade: Personna blue
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Post Shave: Proraso Green
Three pass shave. These blades don't really agree with me, little bit of tugging and pulling. The soap is wonderful. Looking forward to the Melbourne boys meetup

Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush Vie-Long Horse Hair 13066
Soap B&M Black Label: Rosemary & Mint (from the PCTB3)
Razor ATT H1 (from the PCTB3)
Blade Persona Lab Blue (US)
Post Shave Aesop Moroccan Neroli Post-Shave Lotion (from the PCTB3)
Aftershave Floid Vigoroso (from the PCTB3)

"Holy Blade Gap Batman!" - Above The Tie list the H1 as "the most aggressive of the solid bar line with a .91 mm blade gap" and they are not kidding. You could park a VW beetle in that gap!
Also it probably wasn't my brightest idea to follow the Slant of Death with the ATT H1, only got through 2 passes before I went to the PAA Double Open Comb for clean up. DFS but feeling a little raw and exposed. Fortunately the Aesop Post-Shave Lotion took care of most of the raw feeling and after a good feed the Floid Vigoroso topped it off.
Looking forward to meeting up with @alfredus and the old Melbourne clique for lunch.

150925_zpstnnmvzee.png

Face Wash : PAA Ice soap
Pre Shave : Draco Pre-Shave Oil
Brush : Vie-Long Epsilon (Horse)
Soap : Tim's Signature
Razor : Hybrid Kamisori (Zubari Hashimasa)
After Shave : Fine Platinum

This week ends as well as it started shave-wise. The Epsilon could make a great lather from flat beer I get the feeling. With just a modest loading from the Wonderful Tim's Signature soap, I got enough perfect lather for way more passes than I could possibly manage. The Zubori Hashimasa shaved like a dream - it has a single bevel grind, but feels more like a hollow on the face. It has definitely finessed its way into the "inner circle" of my rotation. A liberal splash of Fine AS put the finishing touch on a fantastic shave :)

Status
Not open for further replies.