Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some new products in my Den.

MDC Original was a great addition to the fougere, thank you @Nightguard

The Shavemac is an excellent all round brush, although just a small step below my Saville Row 3124 it still performed extremely well, very soft tips with little to no lather hogging which is a great combination to have in a badger brush. Will definitely be getting the good workout that it derserves, this one is a keeper for me, thank you @stillshunter

My newly acquired Filarmonica #14 is a great blade without a doubt, the hype speaks for itself, only difference between that and My Fili #13 is the size, this one is a 8/8 and a pleasure to use.

000_3358-1_zpshzr0klgi.jpg

The Shavemac is an excellent all round brush, although just a small step below my Saville Row 3124 it still performed extremely well, very soft tips with little to no lather hogging which is a great combination to have in a badger brush. Will definitely be getting the good workout that it derserves, this one is a keeper for me, thank you @stillshunter

My newly acquired Filarmonica #14 is a great blade without a doubt, the hype speaks for itself, only difference between that and My Fili #13 is the size, this one is a 8/8 and a pleasure to use.

That razor looks out of this world!

Kamisori: Inoue Fujisuke
Razor: Ever-Ready 24/14
Blade: Personna Gem (2)
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Wickham Southsea Spray
Aftershave: Myrsol Metilsol

I received my first wound from the kami tonight. It would be unfair to call it a weeper. It was, of course, entirely my fault. Basically a combination of insufficient of skin stretching and incorrect angle of attack. A good learning experience. I'm sure there will be more to come.

The soap 'sample' was from @Nonick and it was my first Wickham experience. It lathered exceptionally well and gave a good shave. The scent is a bit chemically for my taste, reminiscent of mid-90s air freshener.

Last edited:
What can I say !!!!!!! A full 100% no training wheels cut throat shave.
I wanted to see which razor was comfortable so I used a Gold Dollar 300 I recently got from China as a teaching aid for honing but the thing honed up so well I have put it in my rotation. Left side of the face was the GD, right side was my Tanifuji and the great advantage of knowing zip about cut throats they were very similar. Smooth and sharp. I almost chickened out on the chin and top lip but with no red and an increased adrenalin flow I chewed away at the whiskers. Shaving with a GEM SE has really helped me in the angles to "attack" these areas. Everything was fine apart from the little Hitler mo area so on a whim I grabbed a 4/8 no name from the draw and before you knew it the top lip and chin were cleared away. The second pass was so easy, it is amazing how brave you are without the resistance of whiskers. As far as I'm concerned it was a great shave, no blood and it feels good afterwards.

Home built pre-shave oil.
Soap lathered in scuttle and applied by hand and massaged in.
Razors as above
Washed off with cold water and applied some of the pre-shave oil, which for technical reasons I will now call post shave.

2 passes and DFS with a sense of accomplishment I haven't felt for years.

Steve

What a shave!!! Great set up.

3P preshave
New Forest 1901
Shannons Soaps Woodland
Mongoose
Captain Sharp Blade (2)
Myrsol Balsamica aftershave

The soap didn't seem especially slick, kinda reminded me of MdC in that respect. Post shave felt excellent and the shave was very close. The scent is really nice, a bit like Marks & Spencer Woodspice. Not sure you'll know what that is in Aus?

@Draco Noir :) you are not helping me overcome the itch I have for Japanese steel. I salute you Sir!!

@bald as, itches are not for overcoming, they are there to be scratched. And when it comes to itch-scratching devices, by coincidence as it were the Japanese make some of the finest in the world. If you look at models from Iwasaki, Henkotsu, TaniFuji, Zubari, KikuOkan and of course Hoshi Tombo there is bound to be a model to neutralise just about any itch, from simple mossie bite to a full on allergic reaction (like when you accidentally look at the shaving section in the supermarket). I don't believe you can be too safe - wisdom dictates a small library of scratching accessories for any situation that may arise.

So arise Baldy and start scratching...

Fourth day: same photo: same setup.

Day 4 of my kamisori adventure & all the glimpses I had of a truely great shave came together this morning. No doubt aided by a great soap, this blade performed flawlessly. My shave was as close as I have had with any straight or DE and I know with more practice I will find the angles and techniques for traditional one handed kamosori shaving easier to perform.

I thought straights were the ultimate for enjoying the "whole production of wet shaving" but kami's take it up a notch. These are a shaving weapon.
Day 5 for this shave setup. I'll change soap tomorrow as I've finished what was in my daily shave bowl.

Using the kami is great. Really makes you concentrate on every detail of the shave; keeping the correct side of the blade on your face, the angle of the blade, using one hand only, etc.... … …

The shave this morning, while not as close as yesterday was still more than acceptable. I look forward to more shaves with this absolute shaving weapon.

Kamisori: Inoue Fujisuke
Razor: Ever-Ready 24/14
Blade: Personna Gem (3)
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Bald As Olive Oil
Aftershave: Proraso Green

I'm finding that shaving with a kamisori is an extremely satisfying experience. Today I managed two full passes. Parts of the neck that are impossible for me to shave ATG with a DE the kamisori deals with comfortably. It's the gentlest method of shaving I've ever experienced.

Areas that I need to focus on: The left sideburn area (very tricky to shave right handed), adding a smidgeon of Gillette Slide to my strokes and learning the correct stropping technique.

You've revolutionised my shaves @Mark.

20150923_SOTDSSepia_zps1hl1adsp.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor 1st pass: Universal Shavette
Blade for Shavette: Derby Extra (2)
Razor 2nd-4th pass: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade for DE: Ladas Super Stainless (2)
Brush: Paladin 2015 TSN LE
Cream: Esbjerg Grapefruit
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Very small improvements with the Shavette - no blood and very little burn. But got some irritations which are either due to not being able to shave according to my grain or wrong angle - or a combination of the two. Really feel like a newbie again, with the difference, that I know what I am doing wrong :(

Had to take out this brush today, to see if I really do have the same tool @Draco Noir was describing here - sometimes I can't believe the magnitude of this whole YMMV thing...

Fantastic cream I have to say again - can easily compete with the slickest of them all and although it doesn't peak as much I still felt a very protective cushion!

Superb looking shave @Mark - simple, elegant and totally classy!

Preshave: @Draco Noir preshave oil
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose handle
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Shavemac 177
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Post Shave: TOBS AS Sandalwood
Three pass shave no irritation but a couple of weepers under the neck. The handle is heavy but well balanced with the Edwin Jagger head, need to be careful. BBS shave was the result. Love the sandalwood scent of the TOBS.
20150923_221941 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

Wednesday Night Shave
Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush Vie-Long Horse Hair 13066
Soap Murphy & Daughters Old School Shave Cream (from the PCTB3)
Razor Slant of Death (from the PCTB3)
Blade Persona Lab Blue (US)
Post Shave Shea Moisture Tea Tree After Shave Herbal Elixir (from the PCTB3)
This morning's scent
Aftershave Pinaud Bay Rum (from the PCTB3)

Had to bring the one month with one soap, one brush and one razor to an early halt due to the arrival of the travelling box
The Slant of Death is quite light ,looks really nice, and gives a really close shave. The hexagonal handle has little knurling but still has a good grip. Managed a small slice on my chin by not paying enough attention.
Love the Bay Rum scent and it is still lingering several hours after applying without being cloying.

150924_zpsxwtc4sst.png

Face Wash : PAA Ice soap
Pre Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Romera Olice Wood Twin Band
Soap : Van Yulay Bay Rum
Razor : Kamisori (Sandor Jenes, Hungary)
After Shave : GFT West Indian Extract of Limes

Nothing spectacular today, just a very good comfortable shave. The Romera brush is starting to wear in and soften up, and produced a dense lather with plenty of lubrication from the Van Yulay Bay Rum, which continues to please me with its complex, sophisticated spin on Bay Rum. I gave the Jenes Kamisori some "stone love" on my Ozuku Asagi Japanese stone (Thanks @Mark) last night, as it had been a little "draggy" last couple of times I used it. It's still not perfect, but definitely gave a more comfortaable shave.

A gentle squirt of GFT's Lime EDC and I'm ready to tick some boxes for the day...​

20150924_SOTDS_zpsu4fqex1c.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Barrister & Mann Cheshire
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Quick two pass shave, as I don't want to look like my avatar at tomorrows lunch - skin is not too happy, but it can be done...

Status
Not open for further replies.