Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
@StueyB - should we all bring first aid, skin balm, topical anaesthetic etc to lunch or will a glass of wine on me take care of your medicinal needs? :p

@alfredus - the company at the lunch table will be way more important than the quality of shave (y)

Tell you what Adelaide is quickly climbing the ranks in the 'wet-shaving place to be'
Yes, @StueyB, I think that cartridge experience has seriously damaged his judgement...

Impressive brush Draco. Is it a custom
- No, it's an off the shelf. Although as @Lifes a Peach can tell you, from Romera's shelf to Melbourne seems to involve detouring through a few trans-galactic worm holes and culminates in a camel trip across the Simpson Desert.

@Draco Noir you sir are tormenting me more every day :) I don't even feel adequate to challenge you to a straight razor duel at 100 paces. My only recourse is a beard. And on a serious note, very nice razor, very nice shave.

Steve

uy5TTpR.png

My first str8 razor is this Gold Dollar and it still shaves a charm.
I'm nearing the end of this Stirling puck...

Tonight's shave with the cut throat was just another example of how 24 hours can change things. Last night smooth sailing and tonight unexpected squalls and at least 6 nicks. My face felt very tender after the shave yet within a very short time it felt great. Does look a bit like a pizza though :)

I'm looking forward to the continuing "contest" between me and the straight blade tomorrow night.

Must go, I've just thought of a soap I want to make.

Steve

It's not in my habits to shave in the afternoon but after 4 hours of painting iron balconies, I needed a shower and a clean shave to invigorate me.

Razor: Gillette Rocket 'Parat'
Blade: Gillette Française Traitée Nouvelle Technique S-1 1972 @ 3
Cream: Nivea Original
A.F: Aqua Velva Ice Sport

I must say that 3rd shave was silky smooth, this one goes in my top 10 2015. A classic 3 Pass shave, genuine BSS result with excellent feedback of my alcohol based Aftershave. I Still don't know if those blades are Carbon or Stainless but they sure are sharp and smooth.

s1_zpsspgw1hab.png

Last edited:
20150926_082053_zpsc5ykr5nk.jpg

SOTD Semptember 26
Cold water shave
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Soap: Soap Commander, Purpose - Bay Rum
Kamisori: Inoue FujiSuke
A/S: DIY Bay Rum

Soap Commander soaps, while they are a very decent shave soap, are very thirsty requiring a couple of extra dips of the badger in water to get the correct consistancy. Even then they are not as slick as some local offerings.

The kami is great. I am becoming more proficient and enjoying each shave immensely. Using only one hand to master the "traditional" kamisori shave method it is not possible to keep the same 3 pass methods of a Western style straight; close but the tighter areas require a slightly different technique (left ear gets in the way of right hand while attempting to keep the blade flat on face, etc.).

Shave finished off with some home-made bay rum. This scent in this batch is not as long lasting as my others. I'll have to check my ingredients list and return to one of my earlier methods.

Get a kamisori and get back to the joy and focus of learning to shave you had when you first started wet shaving. Each shave improves a little, each shave is a little win, each day you get to "walk a little taller".

Last edited:
150926_zpsnmnu8pod.png

Face Wash : O Melhor Exfoliant Pre-Shave Soap
Pre Shave : Razorock Peppermint Emulsion (Death by Peppermint)
Brush : Thater 2-Band
Soap : Shaver Heaven 1st Anniversary (Heartfelt thanks to @Lifes a Peach, and congrats to @Anthony)
Razor : Hybrid Kamisori (Hoshi Tombo 6000)
After Shave : Floid Black Label

Well, I wasn't going to shave today. A morning glance at Paste'n'Cut SOTD changed that quick smart. The Melbourne sunshine streaming in the window may have contributed to my sudden failure of resolve. Oh well...

I'd forgotten how intensely pepperminty that Razorock pre-shave emulsion is - the skin warming effect keeps building up just like a mentholated product. I think that Razorock have sadly dropped it from their lineup - haven't seen it at any of the online outlets for many moons now. The Thater produced an absolutely spiffing lather from Anthony's current top of the tree offering. Wow @Anthony, this soap is seriously excellent. Great perfume and wonderful lubrication - also able to produce a very wet lather without losing the plot, something I really appreciate with my somewhat slower straight shaves. Many other soaps start to dry on the face before I've finished the pass, which is really uncomfortable and asking for nicks to happen. The HT6000 did the wonderfully comfortable, close job I've come to expect from anything with the name "Hoshi Tombo" on it (cue to start scratching, @bald as :D). A splash of Thayers Witch Hazel was followed by a splash of the Floid Black Label in the photo - a pleasantly "sweet" fragrance without being at all cloying or over the top...

Can't wait for the next day I decide not to shave :whistle:

Razor: E1 Fatboy @ 6
Blade: Spoiler (10)
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: @Barrister & Mann '42'

Apart from the weeper on a bump, all good. The Spoiler might have done it's last shave, serious stubble left under the jawline.

img_1795.jpg

Whipped Dog HM 24mm
Razorock Son of Zeus
Ikon SB
Gillette Swede (1)
Fine Clean Vetiver

All good today. After a test lather of the brush yesterday it's bloomed well and I can tell this is going to be a very nice brush.

The SoZ soap is also nice with a good scent strength.

Quick splash of the fine clean vetiver to finish off. I know the L'orange Noir would have matched the soap better but I'm off to an engagement party later and want to wear my Grey Vetiver. At times like this I need the Fine Fresh Vetiver splash, maybe one for the Christmas list?

Status
Not open for further replies.