Status
Not open for further replies.
img_1829.jpg

Whipped Dog High Mountain
Razorock San Valentino
Schick Adjustable @ 7
Schick Twin blade (1)
Arko Gold aftershave

Nice shave today with this new blade and the creamy thick Razorock. I'm liking this whipped dog brush a lot.

The straight is sharp and smooth. My two Dovo's are 5/8's compared to this razor at 6/8 but the increase in blade width is very noticable and quite to my liking. Down the track I hope to get a 7/8 or 8/8 razor and try weilding that.
I'm with you on that! I've been liking the larger blades that I've tried.

Razor: Barbasol Bakelite handle
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium@5 or 6 can't remember
Soap: Proraso Sandalwood
Aftershave: Nivea Original

Note: Anyone tried the Prorason Pre-Shave cream with Sandalwood oil? Smells like heaven.
Use the Proraso preshave sandalwood all the time and yes love the scent and face feel very much

20151008_224358 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso preshave Sandalwood
Razor: EJ DE89 with Windrose handle
Blade: Permasharp Super
Brush: Omega Boar
Soap: Mitchells Wool Fat and St. James Founders Reserve
Post Shave: Loccitane BAVX Balm
Another day of trying a combination soap and cream. The scent of the St James is a favourite but the lather is just ok for me. With the MWF we have a far better lather with a scent that is luxurious. The lather was not as good as with the Trumpers so a level down but far better than St James on its own. Three passes for an enjoyable shave.

151009_zpsyq5tspkc.png

Face Wash : PAA Menthol Pre-Shave Soap
Pre Shave : Draco Noir Pre-Shave Oil
Brush : Thater 2-Band
Soap : Scottish Fine Soaps - Classic
Razor : Kikuokan 77 - Japanese Made Western Straight, mid 20th Century
After Shave Splash : Musgo Real Orange Amber

The Thater made it almost stupidly easy to produce an impressive lather from the Scottish Fine Soap - the lather was running down the sides of the ceramic tub before I even had the brush loaded. It left me unsure how much soap I'd actually used, but I was set for a good shave. Used the Kikuokan 77 today - a straight down the line hollow ground western style razor, but made by one of Japan's more respected makers in the golden age of the mid 20th century. Must read up on razor manufacturers and the effect of WW11 on what was clearly a thriving, high quality industry. Anyone know of a book that covers this little slice of historical interest?

The Kikuokan delivered a very different face feel with its hollow grinding, rather than the Kamisori and hybrid Kamisori single bevel grinding I tend to use more often these days. Not better or worse, just a different personality. Including being a "chatty" piece of works - I'm sure you all have one razor in your kit that sings louder than the rest when it comes to audible feedback? This is probably the loudest and most satisfying of my non-DE razors. Cutting through a clump of whiskers sounds a bit like tearing a piece of high quality paper - love it to bits :)

The usual rinse/alum/rinse and then I just couldn't resist Musgo Real's Orange Amber AS to finish it all off.

Hmm, reckon I should pass muster at the P&C Lunch....

20151009_SOTDS_zpsynzk7sne.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: ATT M2 Kronos (kindly loaned by @Draco Noir)
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Mike's Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Absolutely brilliant shave today.

I remembered, that the ATT M plates like a much more shallow (handle more perpendicular to face) angle, than the R plates and bingo. I still am not a big fan of the OC in my face, but the shave was absolutely wonderful - fastrubation the whole day long :D :D :D

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed - I love Mike's, absolutely my favourite soap out there - wonderful rich, thick, creamy super slick lather with brilliant post-shave feel. Just put in the effort and you will be rewarded.

Unfortunately the group order (oops - sorry @Monsta_AU) the Adelaide+1 order is being held ransom by AusFarce in Melbourne and didn't make it in time for the Sunday meet-up :cry:

Kamisori: Yamashita
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Bald Diddy V2 Unscented
Aftershave: Myrsol Antesol

The soap was a pleasure to use. It's a bit harder to load & lather than V1 but it's also a bit slicker and the post-shave feel is a bit better. Sliding the kami up my neck has never been easier.

The next iteration will be 40/40/20 olive/stearic/castor. That may well be too far along the continuum but only experimentation will provide the data.

I also had my first go on the J-nat. I think the edge is sharper but it's also less smooth. So much to learn...

20151009_064912_zpsgprf9frn.jpg

SOTD Friday, October 9.
Cold water shave
Pre-shave: Bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Desperado
Brush: Simpson Berkerley
Face lather
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Bullfog handle
Blade: Astra Green SP (1)

With my wife away I decided to sneak in a shave with what used to be my razor. Fell back into the correct angle very easily. The Bulldog handle has so much "grip", shaving is so easy. A smooth 3 pass shave which was surprisingly fast when I'm used to the production and theatre of straight shaving.

Soap performed well as all Shaver Heaven soaps do. I have decided I will use the Muhle R89 tomorrow; I may as well get a few shaves out of the Astra blade.

I was very tired tonight so I opted for an SE shave instead of the cut throat. Excellent 2 pass shave but it was over and done with before I realised :) Still I did spend time with @khun_diddy making soap and honing razors today so I still managed to get my wide spectrum shaving experience. @khun_diddy I'm glad to hear the soap lathers well. Your pics look good.

Edit: I used a GBar and one of my soaps.

Steve

Friday 9 October 2015

214851d1444397502-sun-october-04th-sat-october-10th-sotd-09102015.jpg

RazorGuy Shave

Today I was in the mood for shaving with my produsts, from pre-shave oil to aftershave. I am still traveling, therefore I am still using my Mastro Livi Grifetto 60 and, on this regard, I cannot wish for more, as this Grifetto is a perfect companion for traveling. The straight razor was superb, as usual, but I was very impressed by my shaving soap: the more I use it, the more I love it. Not only it gives a super slick, rich, creamy and wet lather, it also provides a very good moisturizing effect leaving the skin soft and smooth with no irritations. I am still using my old Bay Rum as the new batch is still macerating in rum and I guess I will finish its making as soon as I get home. For the moment, I am enjoying this Bay Rum as well as the pre-shave oil and shaving soap, not to mention, a magnificent straight razor.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Omega Bristle #48
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Grifetto 60, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

Razor: Slim set at 5
Blade: Gillette SS thanks @Monsta_AU
Cream: Cold River Soap Works Fall 2015
Brush: Wolf Whiskers

Photo wont load. It was a great shave. Wolf Whiskers brush with urbesoft II knot might be my favourite synthetic brush I have tried (probably because the wolf whiskers handle is so great).

The slim was first time using, nice razor with a good weight to it. Need more shaves to get used to it.

The soap (man the fall scent for mine is great, It is an apple and citrus blend plus others, I mainly get the cinnamon from this soap), it smells fantastic and has great performance.

IMG_20151010_083317_zps1hzglaxf.jpg

SOTD Saturday, October 10.

Cold water shave
Pre-shave: Bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Aladdin
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Razor: Mulhe R89
Blade: Astra Green SP (2)

It is so much quicker and easier to get a closr shave with DE's, but I really do miss the "theatre & production" of using straights.

The Aladdin soap has a top scent. Sweet to my nose but not sickly sweet, just a multitude of scents seeming to fight each other for prominence but not any particular scent able to stand out from the crowd. All those scents come off very well together though.

The Muhle R89 performed smoothly and efficiently. IMO (I'm no DE guru) the Astra Greens are very efficient, sharp and cause no irritation on my skin. A thumbs up from me for these blades.

No nicks, no issues, close shave.

Status
Not open for further replies.