Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice looking shave @possumbelly. How's the Valobra Fougere? I have their Patchouli and love it - unashamedly "soapy" fragrance with just the right amount of patchouli - Draco
Sorry for the lack of description in my post @Draco Noir. Was rushing this morning.
The Valobra is very soapy and clean. Reminds me slightly of Mitchell's Wool Fat but the fragrance is fresher / brighter / grassy. Great performance. It's the only Valobra I've tried.

Lovely handle you've got yourself there too - Draco
The TiTan handle is just gorgeous. Solid, hefty and beautifully knurled. Snapped it up on the BST at the Shave Nook and have used it mostly with my Muhle R41 2011 and more recently with the R89. Thought I'd try the R41 2013 as a bit of a daily driver today and the result was excellent. I've not used the 2013 much as I usually prefer the more aggressive 2011 - usually for 2-3 days growth. If you know the Muhle's - they come with a very light, slippery handle. I much prefer to use something heavier with their razor heads.

- it deserves a real razor to sit on the end of it :p - Draco
You mean hooking it up to a kamisori :p. Would probably be the death of me!

And tell us about the Creed OV please? Happy shaves - Draco
"Grassy" best describes the scent. Clean, fresh, light and a little soapy. Does not have great staying power but it's very good for everyday use and for the office. Not overwhelming or in your face at all. Probably a little understated. Took me a little while to like it I must say.
Will try and get you a sample for next we catch up.
Happy shaves 2u2!

No photo today. * Note to myself - Always check that Canon has updated their drivers and utilities BEFORE upgrading your operating system :(
  • Mikes Natural Soaps - Lime
  • Simpson Duke 3
  • Gillette Slim (6 on the dial)
  • Gillette Platinum
  • Thayer Witch Hazel & Ogallala Bay Rum Lime & Peppercorn

Bit of a Lime theme today with the weather warming up. The lather I got out of the Mikes soap was the highlight. Not as easy to lather like a Shaver Heaven soap but the extra elbow grease (and some instructional hints from @alfredus ) resulted in a sterling lather.

The rest just followed suit.

Proraso Green is threatening to bust out but in typical Melbourne fashion - Tuesday 35, Wednesday 18 :rolleyes:

Sunday lunch time shave
Pre-Shave PAA Ice pre-shave soap
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap Stirling Glacial Obsidian
Razor Gem (from P&CTB3)
Blade Personna (from P&CTB3)
Post-Shave Proraso Green Pre/Post-shave
After-Shave Floid Vigoroso

Weather had been a bit warm down in Melbourne so I cracked out the menthol on Sunday before going out for lunch.

The PAA Ice pre-shave soap had a nice little chill happening while I loaded up the synth with the Stirling.

Holy Mentholated Moly Batman, does the Glacial Obsidian pack a lot of menthol. I can see why @eggbert thought the PAA Ice was lacking if this is his regular level of menthol. Talk about chill factor. I reckon I could have shaved with a broken beer bottle my face was that numb.

Topped the shave off with Proraso Green as a post shave and Vigoraso from the box after a rinse with cold water and Mr face felt terrific.

Hopefully the obsidian lasts through the summer. Won't be needing to replace my proraso green shave cream this summer

Last edited:
Comfortable two pass shave with Japanese frameback tonight. I wasn't really into the shave or shaving tonight as I'm still under the weather from the flu, but I didn't suffer any cuts because of it.

The straight is becoming more intuitive until I start to think it through.

DFS - no cuts :)

Steve

No photo today. * Note to myself - Always check that Canon has updated their drivers and utilities BEFORE upgrading your operating system.
:ROFLMAO: Sorry, but that's par for the course for me. Glad to have someone else in my club.
....very reason I'm not updating to the new OS X El Capitan on this little baby here.

J7q5kMU.jpg

Classy

201501005_SOTDS_zpsjgaayci0.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: ATT M1 Kronos (kindly loaned by @Draco Noir)
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Paladin TSN LE
Soap: Cold River Soap Works Select Savon #1
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Fantastic shave today - and again it confirms that without perfect lather there can't be a perfect shave. I have been reading/thinking a lot about different types of soaps and different techniques lately (OK, not just lately, but again lately) and realise more and more what I like:
TALLOW
Yes it tastes great but it makes an even better lather. Fantastic stuff if used by the right people and the folks from CRSW seem to know what they are doing. I will one of these days to a tallow off with my stable (Mike's, Stirling, B&M and CRSW) to compare them side by side - but I'd need a fourth badger to make it fair...actually I have one soap missing, that I should try first...dear that would mean I need two more badgers...OK, I will stop this for now or else I won't be able to sleep :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Silky smooth shave with a great and highly recommended razor - many thanks to @Draco Noir and to @Lifes a Peach !!!

:ROFLMAO: Sorry, but that's par for the course for me. Glad to have someone else in my club.
....very reason I'm not updating to the new OS X El Capitan on this little baby here.

El Capitan is what Yosemite should have been but the Canon stuff no worky. Hard to believe that the whole thing breaks over an improved upgrade. Sigh (n)

Preshave: PAA preshave soap mentholated
Razor: Edwin Jagger De89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Omega Boar
Soap: Caties Bubbles LPV
Post Shave: Old Spice
Two pass shave with a clean up under the chin. The PAA preshave soap claims to boost lather. Not sure about that but it does make the face feel nice and cool through the shave. Lasted through the second pass.
2015-10-06 00.12.55 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

151006_zps3rsemwsk.png

Face Wash : Shower
Pre Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Shavemac 2-Band
Soap : Srirling Sharp Dressed Man
Razor : Tradere SB
Blade : Feather
After Shave Splash : Srirling Sharp Dressed Man

Straightforward but enjoyable shave with a great result. Still really enjoying the Sharp Dressed Man combo.

Thanks to @alfredus planting the idea of "Feather" in my brain, I've been using Feathers whenever I can. The big discovery has been that my relationship with them has changed completely. I used to regard them with a healthy respect bordring on fear, and there were plenty of razors I wouldn't that I have regarded as fairly aggressive (like the Ikon DLC Slant), I'm finding the feathers easy to get along with. The only hypothesis I can come up with to explain it is the time I've spent with straights and Kamis. I feel that I've developed a much surer, more gentle touch with the razor, and a much better appreciation of the geography of my own face.

Life's a wonderful thing - every day is a fresh opportunity to be surprised, to learn, and to put a little more into the file marked "Wisdom"...

IMG_20151006_175649_zpsjf679dqz.jpg

SOTD Tuesday 7/10/2015
Cold water shave
Pre-shave: Bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Desperado
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Razor: Dovo Stainless Steel 5/8

Still basking in the NRL win of the NQ Cowboys (along with the whole of North Queensland) I continued with the leather scent of Shaver Heaven, Desperado. A great soap that ticks all the boxes for a quality shave soap. Well done @Anthony.

After honing the straight yesterday and the blade looking good under a jeweller's loupe, the real test came today with the shave. A great shave. All tugging from two days ago was gone.

Top soap, sharp straight, happy NQ Cowboys supporter.

Tuesday 6 October 2015

214537d1444137472-sun-october-04th-sat-october-10th-sotd-06102015.jpg

Mastro Livi Grifetto 60, De Vergulde Hand and Floïd

Yet another good shave. I already mentioned how good Mastro Livi Grifetto 60 is - as well as regular Grifetto - but whenever I use Floïd it always adds an extra luxury touch to my shave. This time I used the Dutch De Vergulde Hand, a soap I like although it sometimes seems to dry the skin too much. A generous pass of alum block, then argan oil, and the skin is ready to receive the pleasing and refreshing touch of Floïd The Genuine aftershave. And I am ready to start a new day.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: De Vergulde Hand
  • Brush: Omega Bristle 10275
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Grifetto 60, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd The Genuine

Status
Not open for further replies.