Not open for further replies.
img_1876.jpg

3P
TSN Flying Mango
Duke 3
Red Tip
7 o'clock Yellow (1)
Floid Blue

Perfect shave today. First try of this soap and I like it a lot. Maybe more SV soap will head my way if they are all like this. Dusted off the red tip as I have two and was going to sell my spare one in an effort to clear some stuff before I move house soon.

I just spent 15 min writing a big rant about this soap - then I decided it's not worth it. Let's just say: I don't like it!

The shave itself was fantastic...
Hmmm... You like the soap or not? It's got a lot of thumbs up from a variety of people so far.
Maybe cut it down to an objective sentence: what didn't you like about the soap? Scent? Performance?

I'm sure you'd be able to sell it quick on the BST! [emoji6]

Hmmm... You like the soap or not? It's got a lot of thumbs up from a variety of people so far.
Maybe cut it down to an objective sentence: what didn't you like about the soap? Scent? Performance?

I'm sure you'd be able to sell it quick on the BST! [emoji6]
Don't like the tin (tiny), the not soap (I think they call it croap, I'd say this definitely is not a soap), the scent (really coconut with some traces) and the post-shave (dry). I know for a many it's just about getting a mountain of lather in 5 sec - for me it's about way more...
And no, it is not going on the BST - it will be a gift to someone who is still at the beginning of his discovery...

Don't like the tin (tiny), the not soap (I think they call it croap, I'd say this definitely is not a soap), the scent (really coconut with some traces) and the post-shave (dry). I know for a many it's just about getting a mountain of lather in 5 sec - for me it's about way more...
And no, it is not going on the BST - it will be a gift to someone who is still at the beginning of his discovery...
Thanks.
I totally agree about the tin; it's why I bought a refill and pressed it into a container. Don't know why the tin is so tiny...
I wonder if the post-shave is related to being a coconut oil based soap? Some rate the post-shave as better than fellow French soap MdC, but they may simply because it has extra glycerine.
I recall its cushion and slickness being good. I might need to reconfirm that memory...

Which is weird, as I find Coconut oil a good post shave.

Razor: Weber Polished Head with Bulldog Handle
Blade: Vintage Wilkie (?)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Dr Jon's
Post-shave: Faena Citrus

Today's SOTD is sponsored by @filobiblic - thanks for the soap and cream to try!

Good lather from the Dr Jon's - so many easy lathering soaps around now why would you bother with Arko! ????

Having said that if you wanted a great post shave to compliment the Arko! - the Faena would work :)

Seriously, while it would compliment Arko! it is really an example of lemon scent done well - far less industrial but still not entirely my cup of tea. Great face feel though - with ingredients like witch hazel, aloe vera and glycerin you can easily imagine the good stuff it is doing...

Thanks again @filobiblic :)

Thanks.
I totally agree about the tin; it's why I bought a refill and pressed it into a container. Don't know why the tin is so tiny...
I wonder if the post-shave is related to being a coconut oil based soap? Some rate the post-shave as better than fellow French soap MdC, but they may simply because it has extra glycerine.
I recall its cushion and slickness being good. I might need to reconfirm that memory...

I don't think you need to press it into anything - just use a spatula and take a piece out, put it on your brush and (face)lather away - like any other cream. The only problem is, because they didn't smooth it out like a cream, the first bit will feel uncomfortable....

I have never tried MdC - but heard from some it is also drying. I don't care, if a soap has a better post-shave than a drying soap TBH - why would you compare yourself to that? I just know all my others give a better post-shave, so does @bald as soap...

And without any disrespect to @bald as - his soaps provide a great glide and cushion as well! So does Arko I believe, Proraso ain't bad in that department...now do I go out and scream on every forum, youtube channel and wherever that these are the best soaps on the planet???

I'm actually not even that disappointed with the soap itself - as you said you get a good glide and cushion in a very short time. Although IMHO @Anthony has a far better Vegan formulation. What makes me so cranky is the fanboyism every where and that nobody else has the balls to point out the obvious negatives...

Which is weird, as I find Coconut oil a good post shave.
@borked (and also @filobiblic ) make good points - I believe that coconut oil is well regarded as a skin moisturiser BUT once you saponify it it's effects seem to change quite a bit and it becomes (amongst other attributes mostly very positive) a strong cleaning agent, thus stripping the skin of other oils.

General artisan body soaps will often limit CO at ~20% otherwise they risk being really drying on one's skin.

I have to say I'm beginning to come around to @khun_diddy 's way of thinking that CO in shaving soaps is a mixed element that does as much harm as good - does tend to give a very particular lather feel...tad dry, boofy-Santa's Beard type foam IMHO but they lather very easy - so I think thats part of the reason CO is often used. That said a lot of folks like this so YMMV. :)

12108251_10203761982928524_4210347165809083899_n.jpg

Brush:
Semogue 1305
Lather: Penhaligon's Sartorial
Razor: Tosuke Inoue Kinmoji

First time shaving with a "real" kamisori. I have a Micor 3000 - a kamisori grind in scales - which unarguably is a kamisori, but the fact it has scales means I wield it differently.

I decided against honing this one myself. It arrived to me from Japan where the seller states:
"Shave Ready
Preliminary hollow grinding if necessary.
Sharpening on 1000 ~8000 grit Shapton whetstone.
Primary Edge polish on Nakayama Karasu whetstone.
Final Edge polish on Shouhonzan Awasedo whetstone.
Stropping on Kanayam #30000 strop.
Camellia oil to prevent rust."

So I went with it.

On the whole a nice first shave. Some areas were superb, others are just OK. The shave seemed to improve as I went and relaxed into the blade. I found myself tense at times and, oddly enough, that's when I feel I started scraping rather than shaving my face. Angles on a kamisori are a little deceiving when you're more used to a straight. When the omote is flat to the skin it already feels like 20-30 degrees, so I found I often over-compensated. Relaxing into the shave seems to be the key, as although I kept the ura world-side, I tried a few strokes with my left hand. Oddly those strokes were better as I went more with the shape of the grind and the contours of my face.

So a very enjoyable experience and I'm looking forward to exploring the kamisori more.

Oh yeah and the 1305 rocked as always, Penhaligon's superb and the Thayers/Weleda Balm aftershave regime continues with great results.

@borked (and also @filobiblic ) make good points - I believe that coconut oil is well regarded as a skin moisturiser BUT once you saponify it it's effects seem to change quite a bit and it becomes (amongst other attributes mostly very positive) a strong cleaning agent, thus stripping the skin of other oils.

General artisan body soaps will often limit CO at ~20% otherwise they risk being really drying on one's skin.

I have to say I'm beginning to come around to @khun_diddy 's way of thinking that CO in shaving soaps is a mixed element that does as much harm as good - does tend to give a very particular lather feel...tad dry, foamy. That said a lot of folks like this so YMMV. :)

I believe Michelle from Mystic Waters came to that conclusion some years ago. And if you look at the ingredients list on Mike's, the saponified coconut oil comes after the EOs/FOs almost at the end of the list. I think this is a strong indication, that he just uses very little of that as well...Same goes for B&M, CRSW and Stirling ingredients lists...

@bald as showed me in his last formulation, that if you use Castor Oil, you don't need any coconut oil at all...and it is still a dead easy soap to lather!

151018_zpsznkkma0l.png

Face Wash : PAA Menthol Glycerine Pre-Shave Soap
Brush : Trumper SB3
Soap : Stirling Ozark Mountain
Razor : Hoshi Tombo 8000
After Shave Splash : Myrsol Masaje Antesol

Decided to try something new (to me) today - face lathering. Ever since I started wet shaving I've been a bowl latherer - I think when I was first learning, it was easier to see what was happening with soap, water, air and elbow grease if it happened in a bowl. So the habit has just stuck since then. But some of the soaps in my collection are so stupid easy to get a good lather from, they don't really need bowl lathering. I chose the great smelling Stirling Ozark Mountain cos I know it lathers quickly and well, and the small SB3 brush in an attempt to keep the lather only on my face.

It all worked just fine, and as an unexpected side benefit saved quite a bit of time over my normal ritual. @alfredus, I remember reading that you had a try at doing a preliminary face lather as an exfoliating substitute for a face wash. How did that play out? I'm thinking it might be another really useful time saver if it produces good results at hydrating skin and whiskers.

The lather worked excellently too - my brilliant Hoshi Tombo 8000 just glided its way to a wonderfully smooth result. I just love this razor :love:

A splash of Antesol, one of Myrsol's less famous offerings, provided a great and somewaht surprising finish - an almost "orangy" note to the fragrance and a long, slow-burning menthol buzz. Nice!! This bottle has been sitting patiently unused on my shelf for ages. With the warm weather coming on, I think its time has come.

A super Sunday shave - hope you all enjoyed yours too :)

20151018_122919_zps9e3r8ogf.jpg

SOTD Sunday, October 18
Cold water shave
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Vetiver & Neroli
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Face lather
Razor: Dovo Inox 5/8

Shaver heaven, Vetiver & Nero [emoji106]
Dovo after performing a refresh on the hones last night performed much better [emoji106]
Overall closeness and smoothness of shave [emoji106]

151018_zpsznkkma0l.png

Face Wash : PAA Menthol Glycerine Pre-Shave Soap
Brush : Trumper SB3
Soap : Stirling Ozark Mountain
Razor : Hoshi Tombo 8000
After Shave Splash : Myrsol Masaje Antesol

Decided to try something new (to me) today - face lathering. Ever since I started wet shaving I've been a bowl latherer - I think when I was first learning, it was easier to see what was happening with soap, water, air and elbow grease if it happened in a bowl. So the habit has just stuck since then. But some of the soaps in my collection are so stupid easy to get a good lather from, they don't really need bowl lathering. I chose the great smelling Stirling Ozark Mountain cos I know it lathers quickly and well, and the small SB3 brush in an attempt to keep the lather only on my face.

It all worked just fine, and as an unexpected side benefit saved quite a bit of time over my normal ritual. @alfredus, I remember reading that you had a try at doing a preliminary face lather as an exfoliating substitute for a face wash. How did that play out? I'm thinking it might be another really useful time saver if it produces good results at hydrating skin and whiskers.

The lather worked excellently too - my brilliant Hoshi Tombo 8000 just glided its way to a wonderfully smooth result. I just love this razor :love:

A splash of Antesol, one of Myrsol's less famous offerings, provided a great and somewaht surprising finish - an almost "orangy" note to the fragrance and a long, slow-burning menthol buzz. Nice!! This bottle has been sitting patiently unused on my shelf for ages. With the warm weather coming on, I think its time has come.

A super Sunday shave - hope you all enjoyed yours too :)

I am so glad it worked out well for you @Draco Noir - as you know I really enjoy face lathering. I didn't substitute my face wash, as I think it is beneficial to remove some of the oil etc. from the whiskers in order to get them hydrated. However, if you are anything like me the time you saved will vanish soon again - I just face lather longer and longer these days as I enjoy it so much - besides washing my face twice with Occams pre-shave it is my only prep. No more hot towels and such, just two quick washes and a loooooong face lather :D :D :D

I am so glad it worked out well for you @Draco Noir - as you know I really enjoy face lathering. I didn't substitute my face wash, as I think it is beneficial to remove some of the oil etc. from the whiskers in order to get them hydrated. However, if you are anything like me the time you saved will vanish soon again - I just face lather longer and longer these days as I enjoy it so much - besides washing my face twice with Occams pre-shave it is my only prep. No more hot towels and such, just two quick washes and a loooooong face lather :D :D :D
Do you rinse your face aftet the second application of Occams or leave ghe suds on ?

Rinse off, but not super accurately...

Status
Not open for further replies.