Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, what a change - @razorguy shaving with a razor not created by Mastro Livi? I've often thought that is must be a lonely life for non Mastro Livi razors in your collection @razorguy! Unless of course you have figured out how to manage 2-3 shaves per day. Thanks for another interesting SOTD (y)

My straight razor collection currently counts 218 items and just 20 of them are Mastro Livi razors. I usually shave three or four times a week, in which two or three are with "non Livi" razors and one or two, usually on Sunday, is a Mastro Livi shave. I also admit I do not always have the time to post all of my SOTDs, something I usually do on Sundays when I have more time. When I travel, I always take with me a Mastro Livi razor, though.
I try to use all of my razors, although I admit I prefer shaving with my Mastro Livi razors, to me the very best shavers around.

Brush: Semogue 620
Lather: CRSW Fall
Razor: Kapitan Lindbergh
Astringent: Thayers Unscented
Aftershave: Weleda AS Balm

A no-compromises top-shelf shave. Big thanks to @SydBJW for the CRSW sample. You're spot on mate it is great shit! Scent's amazing and performance even better (if that's possible). The straight was my guinea-pig honer and gave a close and smooth shave - was really surprised how well I got on with this sheffield...as I thought I preferred the harder Swedes or Germans. I am very happy with it and can't wait to see if I can't make it even smoother on the JNATs this weekend. Aftershave routine is becoming my go-to. Trying the no alcohol route and it is really working better than I expected. In the past balms clog my pores and I break out, but the Thayers is closing matters nicely and the Weleda is light enough to not interfere and wet enough to nourish. Oh yeah and the 620 rocks!

Razor: Weber PH thanks @stillshunter
Blade: Lab Blue (0)
Soap: Shaver Heaven Cherry Bliss, love the scent of this soap @Anthony
Brush: Shavemac two band

Great three pass shave this morning. I have read a lot of post about how good the Webers are and they are right. Very easy to use razor, found the correct angle and ended up with a very smooth and great shave.

Brush: Semogue 620
Lather: CRSW Fall
Aftershave: Weleda AS Balm

A no-compromises top-shelf shave. Big thanks to @SydBJW for the CRSW sample. You're spot on mate it is great shit! Scent's amazing and performance even better (if that's possible). The straight was my guinea-pig honer and gave a close and smooth shave - was really surprised how well I got on with this sheffield...as I thought I preferred the harder Swedes or Germans. I am very happy with it and can't wait to see if I can't make it even smoother on the JNATs this weekend. Aftershave routine is becoming my go-to. Trying the no alcohol route and it is really working better than I expected. In the past balms clog my pores and I break out, but the Thayers is closing matters nicely and the Weleda is light enough to not interfere and wet enough to nourish. Oh yeah and the 620 rocks!

Glad you liked the soap. As good as the straights look I still cant bring my self to use one. Love that brush as well.

Glad you liked the soap. As good as the straights look I still cant bring my self to use one. Love that brush as well.
They're not as scary as they look, trust me. If anyone could stuff it up, then I'm your man. This morning's shave was so gentle. Zero irritation and very, very close! But getting it right with a straight just feels so good mate.

Just say the word and I'll send a starter your way.

Preshave: Neroli & Bergamot Argan Oil (kindly donated by @Draco Noir)
Straight: Gold Dollar #66
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Mike's Lime
Aftershave: Pinaud Lime Sec

The SOTD @alfredus posted up looked so good that I tried to duplicate it. It was a nice hot day so citrus made a lot of sense. Thanks very much to Draco for the oil. It smells delicious and it felt nice going on. I palm lather and then gently paint on afterwards so I wasn't concerned with it mucking up my delicious Mike's lather. I don't think the oil noticeably increased glide but it felt nice right through to the third pass. I will experiment with using it as a post-shave at some point for sure.

They're not as scary as they look, trust me. If anyone could stuff it up, then I'm your man. This morning's shave was so gentle. Zero irritation and very, very close! But getting it right with a straight just feels so good mate.

Just say the word and I'll send a starter your way.

Tempting offer. Think I will wait a while to try :)

Tempting offer. Think I will wait a while to try :)
Know the feeling.
Have straights, not the confidence in technique to take that step.
Once I step up a few more levels with DE's, it will be time.

20151016_062138_zps4ubngmkg.jpg

SOTD Friday, October 16
Cold water shave
Pre shave: Bloom warer
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Vetiver & Neroli
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Face lather
Razor: Dovo Inox 5/8

First shave with the Shaver Heaven, Vetiver & Neroli. The Vetiver punches through as the stronger scent but the Neroli keeps the polarisingly strong scent of Vetiver in-check (you either love Vetiver or leave it - I love it) . Great shave soap.

The Dovo worked well. I have not had this razor on the hones yet, just using out of the pack for something like the last 6-8 weeks but compared to my other straights, this blade needs a hone this weekend.

Last edited:
Brush: Simpsons Commodore X2
Lather: Caties Bubbles Palma Inspired
Aftershave: Nivea Balm

Big thanks to @SydBJW for the soap sample. I think I only started to glance in the general direction of the soap and it was in a lather. Old school scent that's hard not to like. Everything to like about the performance. Happy when this comes up in the rotation again.

The Lindbergh was even better today...very happy with this little test blade. Maybe the lather had something to do with it. Keep this soap in mind for your first straight shaves @SydBJW [emoji6]

2KMKsCY.png

Brush: Ploccitane
Soap: Dr Jon's Big Green Monster
Razor: ABC 6/8
After-shave: Myrsol Formula K

Honed to perfection by the champ @Mark so super smooth. Enjoyed the razor and the shave overall. Win!

I don't think the oil noticeably increased glide but it felt nice right through to the third pass.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the pre-shave oil @khun_diddy. As I understand it, the primary purpose of the oil isn't actually to increase the glide factor, but to increase the elasticity of the skin. This lessens the chance of the razor causing micro-tears and nicks, and reduces the tendency of the skin to bunch up ahead of the razor. You'll probably notice a positive improvement now that you know what to look for while shaving. Good luck and good shaves, Draco

151016_zpsfpzpho4h.png

Face Wash : Shower
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Muhle Black Synthetic V2
Soap : Mike's Natural Soaps - Lime
Razor : Filarmonica Doble Temple #12
After Shave : Alum, Argan Oil
After Shave Splash : Terre D'Hermes

Today's superb shave is dedicated to @Lifes a Peach and @alfredus, both of whom sprang into action to help me with the Mike's lathering problem. @Lifes a Peach sent me a link to an excellent video showing in great detail how to achieve a perfect lather with Mikes (and many other soaps as well). @alfredus in his inimitable style summed the whole process up in a mere 6 words : "Load it like you hate it". Thanks to both of you guys - today's result was an absolute eye-opener. I was treated to a brilliant, glossy lather with glide and cushion to spare, and a very pleasant and natural lime fragrance. Now I know what all the fuss is about :)

The rest of the shave followed the same pattern. Today was the first time I've ever shaved withe NOS Filarmonica, and it was absolutely plush. I almost sold it about a month ago, but the potential buyer decided to take a different path. I'm so glad he did - this razor is a real little sweetie.

Finished with a rinse/alum/argan oil routine, then a squirt of my current favourite EDT - Terre D'Hermes. A fantastic finish to the shaving week

Status
Not open for further replies.