Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Straight: Gold Dollar #66
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Bald Diddy V2 Cedar
Aftershave: Myrsol Metilsol

Really happy with my stropping. Fluidity is still not there but it was clear that the edge was back to the keenness and butteriness it had fresh off the stones from Mark. I put it down to doing more laps. As with the kamisori, I'm finding the stropping significantly harder than the shaving.

Great shave.

151016_zpsfpzpho4h.png

Face Wash : Shower
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Muhle Black Synthetic V2
Soap : Mike's Natural Soaps - Lime
Razor : Filarmonica Doble Temple #12
After Shave : Alum, Argan Oil
After Shave Splash : Terre D'Hermes

Today's superb shave is dedicated to @Lifes a Peach and @alfredus, both of whom sprang into action to help me with the Mike's lathering problem. @Lifes a Peach sent me a link to an excellent video showing in great detail how to achieve a perfect lather with Mikes (and many other soaps as well). @alfredus in his inimitable style summed the whole process up in a mere 6 words : "Load it like you hate it". Thanks to both of you guys - today's result was an absolute eye-opener. I was treated to a brilliant, glossy lather with glide and cushion to spare, and a very pleasant and natural lime fragrance. Now I know what all the fuss is about :)

The rest of the shave followed the same pattern. Today was the first time I've ever shaved withe NOS Filarmonica, and it was absolutely plush. I almost sold it about a month ago, but the potential buyer decided to take a different path. I'm so glad he did - this razor is a real little sweetie.

Finished with a rinse/alum/argan oil routine, then a squirt of my current favourite EDT - Terre D'Hermes. A fantastic finish to the shaving week
*utters profanities* was hoping you couldn't get it to work, so I could score myself a cheap backup :p
Glad it shared it's true colours with you :)

Nice blade there mate! Did @Mark , do the hone only or hone and supply? ;)
This the ABC Japanese razor that @Mark posted about many moons ago and I jumped at the chance. (Back when you were still considering the str8 path...[emoji14]) I finally got it to him to hone it. What a beauty!

First time wet shaving!

Pre-Shave: Shower
Cream: Occams Original
Razor: Muhle R89 Classic with the blade it came with
Brush: Semogue 1305

Really enjoyed the experience. The Occams was a joy to lather up but the Semogue felt a bit 'pokey' as I swirled it around on my face, hopefully that lessens with use. Still learning technique but overall it was fairly easy to get a good shave the first time. Only a few nicks, no razor burn. I here to stay baby!

First time wet shaving!

Really enjoyed the experience. The Occams was a joy to lather up but the Semogue felt a bit 'pokey' as I swirled it around on my face, hopefully that lessens with use. Still learning technique but overall it was fairly easy to get a good shave the first time. Only a few nicks, no razor burn. I here to stay baby!

WOW - congratulations!!! What a great moment - try to hold on to the memories - you will love it looking back!

I think you have done a fantastic job picking the right gear - except maybe the brush. In ~1-2 months it will be a nice soft brush, but until then...

If you don't have any backup brushes, I would suggest you lather in a bowl and use paint motions to apply the lather on your face until the brush gets broken in.

If I had a second synthetic, I would send it to you to tie you over, until your brush is there - maybe somebody else here is generous? If anybody has a synthetic lying around - please send it over to this man - I would gladly pick up the tab!

Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Feather (5)
Soap: Shaver Heaven Hot Buttered Rum
Brush: Semogue 1800
A/S: Speick

Loving the feather blades. Still getting a few ingrowns on the neck so just working on technique, but the razor rash I was getting with the personna reds is gone. Ordered an alum block tonight so will see how that goes in the routine.

First time wet shaving!

Great stuff!

You could do a few test lathers in your palm or a bowl to hasten the breaking in process. Generate a lather, leave the suds in the brush for about 10 mins, then rinse off and allow to dry before repeating the process. As soon as those tips begin to break, the brush will become much less pokey.

Have fun mate.

Brush: WhippedDog 24mm silvertip
Soap:
Arctic Hydra
Razor: Gullatt Razor Co.
Aftershave: Thayers & Weleda balm

Big thanks to @SydBJW for the sample. As usual Dr. Jon's delivers. I'll be honest menthol isn't my thing, but this isn't your typical "this is gonna cool off some" scent, more citrusy. Great lather - went and stayed yoghurt. Took more water well as I prepped for a straight shave.

Gullatt was found in the Canberra wilds. It's tiny....not so much blade width - as it measures in at around 5/8" - but the length is only around 2 1/2 inches.

12165103_10203756101261486_2010946411_o.jpg

The Gullatt Razor Co. pre-hone

Looks like a kamisori... My first example of US steel and so I didn't know what to expect. Certainly harder than sheffield steel as it kept chipping on the toe - forensics revealed the culprit was a little too much pressure used on the Chosera 1k. It took well to the Shapton progression (5, 8, 12k) and proved a nice intro into jnat finishing. I only did little water passes on the honzan (Honyama Asagi Tomae) - no nagura yet. Anyone tempted by natural stones, I got to say the sound and feel - and most of all the aesthetic - is very different to the synthetics. Stropped on a roo tail hanger and off we went.

In short, I like the little blade, very agile feel. Also it is the loudest singer I have. Weird because it's so much smaller than the other hollows I have - and it's not necessary hollower - but it belts out quite a robust note. Shave is close in most areas but not all, maybe it's the lesser weight? Becoming more and more of a fan of this alcohol-free aftershave routine.

Last edited:
First time wet shaving!

WOW - congratulations!!! What a great moment - try to hold on to the memories - you will love it looking back!

I think you have done a fantastic job picking the right gear - except maybe the brush. In ~1-2 months it will be a nice soft brush, but until then...

If you don't have any backup brushes, I would suggest you lather in a bowl and use paint motions to apply the lather on your face until the brush gets broken in.

If I had a second synthetic, I would send it to you to tie you over, until your brush is there - maybe somebody else here is generous? If anybody has a synthetic lying around - please send it over to this man - I would gladly pick up the tab!

@alfredus, I can cover this and keep our new member @Cantaloupe_Crusader from being poked to death by a new boar brush ;) We can go with either an Omega S-Type (synthetic boar) or one of those The Grooming Club made in Brazil using a Plisson knot. Tell me which one you think is more suitable if you have a preference. @Cantaloupe_Crusader - send me a PM with your postal address and we'll get your lathering sorted out mate.

Razor: Weber PH, it is a great razor @stillshunter
Blade: Personna Blue (1)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Urbersoft II synthetic
Soap: Tim's Soap/Shaver Revolution Hybrid:

Two pass shave and touch up. Second shave with the Weber PH, I am getting a smooth, close and irritation free shave. The Wolf Whiskers Synthetic brush is fast becoming my favourite synthetic brush. The alum indicated that the shave was very smooth. The wife loved the smell of the Proraso aftershave :)

The soap: Tim's soap is right up their with the best of them, for mine the scent was citrius that was very pleasant. Description of the soap from Shave Revolution web site:

Hybrid is two soaps in one. Or it's one soap with two personalities. Either way, it's a joy to use. A hybrid citrus fruit is more than the sum of its lineage. In the same way,Hybrid is more than a combination of fruit notes.

Every time the soap is lathered, the two soaps mingle together in new and different proportions, yielding a unique, complex effect with each use. It's like using a new citrus fragrance every time you shave. One half is a tart blend of lemon and clementine accented with green notes of fig leaf and bamboo. The other half is slightly sweeter, a combination of kumquat and orange atop a base of cardamom and musk. Both soaps share a teakwood heart note that turns the two soaps into one. Lemon and clementine, kumquat and orange,

Tim's Soap and Shave Revolution: Hybrid is about merging great ideas and producing something never seen before. A new twist on citrus, Hybrid is something never seen before, a citrus nature didn't imagine, but should have.

Today I will not write about razors or blades, today we will concentrate on Arko Extra Performance cream.
Bellow is a picture of the previously mentioned product : ) It produce a rich and thick lather but... the scent is awful! How could I describe this particular ''effluvium'' ? hummmm Scrubbibing Bubble Toilet Cleaning Gel is the only thing that come to mind (If only it was an urinal cake scent, I could live with that). In comparison, Yardley Gold & Vicco Turmeric are high-end parfums meant for Aristocrats.
arko-men-shaving-cream-extra-performance-100ml-free-uk-delivery_4426274.jpg

20151017_084032_zpspsxlu4d1.jpg

SOTD Saturday, October 17.
Cold water shave
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Veitiver & Neroli
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Face lather
Razor: Inoue Fujisuke kamisori

Relaxed Saturday morning shave, not rushing always a good thing when you have a kami in hand. Shaver Heaven soaps really are a great product and the range of scents … … … … Vetiver is the standout scent in this soap, though by no means overpowering.

The kami is a great razor to use. Although the Western style straights are my go-to weapon of choice, kamis are enjoyable. The skillset required to weild a kamisori, although having similarities to Western straights, are a completely different kettle of fish. Compared to using a Western straight, some parts of the face are easier to shave and other parts require greater attention to get as close. Everybody's face, physical dexterity and abilities are different, so YMMV.

Good soap, good razor, good shave.

Thanks! I don't have a backup brush and your initiative to get me another is most heartening, I appreciate it. I should have mentioned that I do indeed have a lathering bowl and used it. I posted my gear here. I'll try the painting tip until it breaks in.

Great stuff!

You could do a few test lathers in your palm or a bowl to hasten the breaking in process. Generate a lather, leave the suds in the brush for about 10 mins, then rinse off and allow to dry before repeating the process. As soon as those tips begin to break, the brush will become much less pokey.

Have fun mate.

Thanks! I'll give that a try (y)

@alfredus, I can cover this and keep our new member @Cantaloupe_Crusader from being poked to death by a new boar brush ;) We can go with either an Omega S-Type (synthetic boar) or one of those The Grooming Club made in Brazil using a Plisson knot. Tell me which one you think is more suitable if you have a preference. @Cantaloupe_Crusader - send me a PM with your postal address and we'll get your lathering sorted out mate.

That's really swell of you, thanks much :D I'll send you a pm.

20151017_SOTDVICSQS_zpswn4lon8a.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: ATT R1 Kronos
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon 2-band
Soap: Le Pere Lucien Traditional
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, Neroli & Bergamot Argan Oil (Oil made and kindly donated by Draco Noir)​

I just spent 15 min writing a big rant about this soap - then I decided it's not worth it. Let's just say: I don't like it!

The shave itself was fantastic - the ATT R1 is really a very nice razor and I can highly recommend it. I waited for 1/2 h, before I put on my post shave - just to be able to judge the post-shave feel of the soap. Just read the first sentence and you know how it was!

The best part of the shave was using @Draco Noir oil as a post-shave - SENSATIONAL - thank you one more time good sir! It was absorbed in seconds into my skin and the scent lingered with me for 30 min or so - actually too short (y)

That was it for my ATT razor test - I will wait for the H1 plate from the PCB3 before posting my thoughts. Oh and in case you wonder: this is Victoria Sq in Adelaide...

151017_zpscnxnz2oa.png

Face Wash : O Melhor Exfoliant Pre_Shave soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Vie-Long Epsilon Horsehair
Soap : Tabac
Razor : Kiku Okan 77
After Shave : Alum, Argan Oil
After Shave Splash : L'Occitan EDT

A really nice warm day shave in dear old Melbourne today. Applied my new found skills in lathering Mike's soap to the Tabac, which too often sits forgotten at the back of the shaving cupboard. The result was a wonderful lather of an ideal consistency for a nooby straight shaver. The Kikuochan 77 performed beautifully again - that wonderful Kamisori/Western hybrid blade grind is a real winner as far as I'm concerned. Finished off pretty much as usual, except for choosing L'Occitane as the AS for some reason. It did justice to both the weather and my mood :)

Happy weekend and happy shaves to those who decide to shave :)

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Soap: Le Pere Lucien Traditional​

I just spent 15 min writing a big rant about this soap - then I decided it's not worth it. Let's just say: I don't like it!

Sorry mate is that the LPL or the Occams pre-shave soap you don't like?

Sorry mate is that the LPL or the Occams pre-shave soap you don't like?
Since I've been using now the Occams pre-shave for more than 2 years for EVERY shave I'm either the world's biggest masochist or LPL sucks IMHO...

Since I've been using now the Occams pre-shave for more than 2 years for EVERY shave I'm either the world's biggest masochist or LPL sucks IMHO...
OK so now I'm really confused....so is it the LPL or Occams?

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.