Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kamisori: Yamashita
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Gent's V3 Original
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum

'Twas one of the all time great shaves. The new soap formulation with jojoba is magnificent. Only 1.2 g of jojoba - a truly minuscule quantity - in 173 g of soap has had profound effects on the quality of the lather. Rather than killing stability, the creamy lather is now actually more stable and the feel as it goes on the skin is extra silky and luxurious. And perhaps I'm imagining it, but is that lather now more pearly white than previously? @bald as - you need to try a soap with jojoba, pronto.

Oh, and BTW - tonight's audio accompaniment was 'Leaves of Grass'. This is pure gold @carlmaloschneider.

If you can spare a small amount bring any of your excess soap making ingredients on Sunday. Some Jojoba will find its way into my next effort. I take it the Jojoba has given you a great lather for using the Kamisori. So good to hear your progress.

Chinese food…”
Because a shave with a DE is like Chinese food. You think you’ve shaved perfectly but a few hours later you’re not smooth again. I honestly feel a good shave with a straight produces a smoothness which is longer lasting.
WELL OBSERVED MATE!
I agree 100%. I've gotten nice and close some mornings (in some areas) and noticed the next morning it's still only the slightest hint of stubble when you feel ATG - WTG and XTG is still oh so smooth. That's the kind of meal I like....

note to self - "When you decide to refresh and hone 5 razors don't try to shave with everyone of them during the same shave."

Not sure which razor should take credit, they all contributed. Great shave and tonight so very close to BBS but the verdict is a solid DFS.
I did learn even though a razor is really sharp they all contribute and can and do shave differently.

sAoajoV.png

Brush: Vie Long Horse hair Fan
Soap/Cream: Cold River Soap Works Pure Fresco
Razor: GEM Clog Prof SE
Blade: GEM [2]
After-shave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

I have to ask how was the soap? I think I have the same one to pick up.

Kamisori: Yamashita
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Gent's V3 Original
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum

'Twas one of the all time great shaves. The new soap formulation with jojoba is magnificent. Only 1.2 g of jojoba - a truly minuscule quantity - in 173 g of soap has had profound effects on the quality of the lather. Rather than killing stability, the creamy lather is now actually more stable and the feel as it goes on the skin is extra silky and luxurious. And perhaps I'm imagining it, but is that lather now more pearly white than previously? @bald as - you need to try a soap with jojoba, pronto.

Oh, and BTW - tonight's audio accompaniment was 'Leaves of Grass'. This is pure gold @carlmaloschneider.

Man I wish I could get to an SA meet up and try a sample of all this great soap you guys are making.

Man I wish I could get to an SA meet up and try a sample of all this great soap you guys are making.
I'll be sending some out to anyone that's interested after a couple more iterations. I want to experiment with lye ratios and scents a bit more first and also get some feedback from the local crew. It will happen, but I want to get it really perfect first.

20151104_064512_zps7xhg1ihn.jpg

SOTD Wednesday, November 4

Cold water shave
Preshave: Bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Sensuous Sandlewood
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Face lather
Razor: Dovo Inox 5/8

I was a big believer in straights couldn't shave closer than a DE (both as good as each other) as the DE blade is physically thinner giving a keener edge and a shorter blade length making directing the cutting edge easier. However the longer I weild a straight and become familiar with/learn techniques I am becoming convinced in my own mind that straights give a better, closer shave. I can't quantify this observation with solid data, just personal observations which can be influenced by personal bias. Today's shave again gives me a personal belief that straights do shave closer (give a "closer" shave anyway).

22134402504_6818eaf352.jpg

Razor: Razor rock SLAB head on a maggard handle
Blade: Gillette Stainless Australian (1)
Brush: Shavemac Two band
Soap: Mickey Lee Soapworks through the woods

First use of Mickey Lee Soapworks soap today. Firstly the scent is just amazing for me ( I get the pine and fir notes, their is also meant to cedar, gingerbread and eucalyptus as well). Soap lathered well and preforms great. Nice two pass shave with touch up.
What a great shave!

I have to ask how was the soap? I think I have the same one to pick up.
Well you know that the CRSW performance is top notch, with special emphasis on face feel during and post-shave. The scent is beautifully fresh- I get a light citrus with a cologne-like background. It reminds me of St Jermyn (by TOBS) but nicer still. It's the perfect scent for spring and summer, but would be terrific all year round.

20151104_064512_zps7xhg1ihn.jpg

SOTD Wednesday, November 4

Cold water shave
Preshave: Bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Sensuous Sandlewood
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Face lather
Razor: Dovo Inox 5/8

I was a big believer in straights couldn't shave closer than a DE (both as good as each other) as the DE blade is physically thinner giving a keener edge and a shorter blade length making directing the cutting edge easier. However the longer I weild a straight and become familiar with/learn techniques I am becoming convinced in my own mind that straights give a better, closer shave. I can't quantify this observation with solid data, just personal observations which can be influenced by personal bias. Today's shave again gives me a personal belief that straights do shave closer (give a "closer" shave anyway).

DE shave a few hours before you feel you need a shave [YMWV]
SE shave 12 - 15 hours [YMWV]
Straight - still ready for a shave after 12 - 15 hours but happy to go much longer. [YMWV]

I agree fully with your assessment on the blades. With correct technique a straight is definitely as close as any other blade. "(give a "closer" shave anyway)". The fun and fear factor is at least 100 times greater. You do know quickly with a straight when the shave is too close. :LOL:

Steve

Qmbj50S.png

Brush: Frank Shaving badger
Cream: Occams Original Shave Cream
Razor: Kirby Beard
Blade: Vintage Wilkinson [1]
After-shave: Barberry Coast Havana

Sublime!

The Kirby Beard doesn't just look amazing, but produces an excellent shave. Paired with a vintage Wilkie (not sure it's heritage!), it was a smooth and comfortable shave. The noise as I shaved was the loudest of the DEs. Apart from the heavier weight (due to the handle), it reminds me of the Eclipse Red Ring. It oozes charm, has sensational looks, and performs like a champion. Give me a classic vintage razor over a modern industrial razor any day!

Occams never disappoints. The best shave cream I have used. It never fails to explode into a rich, thick lather.

The Havana aftershave from Barberry Coast is intoxicating. The scent is simply wonderful; cocoa, vanilla and tobacco flower intertwined together. The scent is backed by a lovely feel to the face. A winner for sure.

(I haven't seen the chap here in a while, but @luckypirate from Bay Rum Australia sells the Havana. I notice he has a sampler set which includes both the Havana and No. 28 Bay Rum from Barberry Coast.)

Razor: C.V.Heljestrand "Le Duc"
Soap:Vintage Blades Herbal Citrus (sample sent from @stillshunter
Aftershave:Shea Moisture Tea Tree

well today i'm sad to say was a total fail. now since i was using the blade i used yesterday and loved. same brush i been using for 3-4 months now. same soap to wash with before. same aftershave. i can only put it down to one thing. the shave soap. while it lathered up really quickly and looked great in the bowl when it was going on it felt "light" is only way i can describe it. while trying to lather up face it kept streaking so i could kind of see skin through the lather and took a lot of extra work to get a nice thick even coat on my face.
once blade touched face it got even worse. i feel every movement of the blade scraping across my skin. it was almost like dry shaving. i actually gave up after just the stroke with the hair growth and re-lathered up using the soap i normally use but even now an hour or so later i can still feel the stinging all over my face and neck.
well least i know i won't be buying that particular soap in the furture

No matter the soap load your brush till you hate it. But for a cut throat it needs to be more wet than dry lather. Too many soaps explode into lather promising the world and delivering nothing but thin, thin spineless lather. No matter the soap start with your brush just damp enough to pick up soap. You only want creamy lather [protolather] not big bubbles. In your bowl start whipping a lather then add water - a few drops - and whip and add water and whip and add water and eventually you will have a great lather for a cut throat shave.

And of course this is only how I make lather so please don't tell me I'm wrong as YMWV.

:)

Steve

Edit just to clarify "And of course this is only how I make lather so please don't tell me I'm wrong as YMWV." means any and all forum members. Not directed at @PapaDooks

Last edited:
20151104_SOTDSDetInvert_zps1popmx82.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Lather: Mystic Waters The Brown Windsor
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel​

If I had to shave with this razor forever - I would be a very lucky man! It's been more than a month since my last shave with the Wolf, but everything worked like a charm!

I've been really excited to try Mystic Waters for some time now and the turtles finally delivered. The scent of the Brown Windsor is out of this world - here the description from their Website:
A classic fragrance in the 19th century and said to have been the favorite soap of Napoleon, Brown Windsor is scented with an intriguing blend of essential oils: herbaceous and floral lavender, sweet and spicy caraway seed oil, the fruity citrus of Bergamot and petigrain, with warm notes of cinnamon leaf, cardamom and clove.

What can I say, Napoleon had apparently some good taste :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The slickness/glide of this stuff is truly amazing as well - even with the hard water here in Adelaide. I just couldn't get the cushion I was hoping for, but I think this is more due to my inexperience with this soap...still not a bad first effort:

20151104_PaladinChief_MWSDet_zpsxzwfbysk.jpg

But the post-shave - the post-shave is truly amazing! I did not use any olive oil today - I wanted to evaluate the soap first, but then I forgot! Yes I forgot because I was in awe of my plumb, moist and silky smooth face - happy days!

SOTD great shave today. Had around 4 days growth only my second shave since getting back into DE much better shave. Not sure if I was a bit rusty the first time but this shave was much better. First shave was with the TOBS rose cream but I enjoyed the Proraso White better. Hopefully keep getting great shaves.

Razor - Merkur 34c HD
Brush - Omega synthetic
Blade - Polsilver super iridium
Soap - Proraso white tub
AS Balm - Nivea sensitive

Status
Not open for further replies.