Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like @JugV2 is joining me on the balcony!

I appreciate the artistic talents of many here - go for it with your SOTD fun I say. I'll probably not myself but can enjoy the scenery

Looks like @JugV2 is joining me on the balcony!

I appreciate the artistic talents of many here - go for it with your SOTD fun I say. I'll probably not myself but can enjoy the scenery
I'll gladly join you on "the balcony" mate. Whatever that is. I named this bloody site, and I'm not afraid to tell it to pull its head in if I think it's getting too pretentious.

Look at @Mark1966 icon - Muppet Show, 2 old guys ranting on the balcony - for me best feature (after animal) of the Muppet Show!

I also wanted to deeply apologise - in my previous post, in which I stated how much more than "a shave" my shave is for me - I forgot to mention the most important part: all the great new friends I have made with this "small obsession" - the personal meet-ups, phone calls, txt messages, PM's, learning, understanding, receiving and giving gifts - all those great social interactions that make this hobby so much more than "just a shave"...

And mods: could we then please clean up this crap (including mine) and get back to wanky SOTD pics - that's what this topic is about - correct?

Look at @Mark1966 icon - Muppet Show, 2 old guys ranting on the balcony - for me best feature (after animal) of the Muppet Show!

I also wanted to deeply apologise - in my previous post, in which I stated how much more than "a shave" my shave is for me - I forgot to mention the most important part: all the great new friends I have made with this "small obsession" - the personal meet-ups, phone calls, txt messages, PM's, learning, understanding, receiving and giving gifts - all those great social interactions that make this hobby so much more than "just a shave"...

And mods: could we then please clean up this crap (including mine) and get back to wanky SOTD pics - that's what this topic is about - correct?

Statler_da2a63_2129165.jpg

All good, no need to apologise for anything. I remember starting out when all this was fresh and new and Zen, I used to count the drops of water needed to make a brush perfectly moist lol
I think this thread is fine as it is, no need to delete comments, after all "learning and understanding" is something we all like, I would have thought.

BOT ...

Brush: EJ Synthetic Travel Brush
Soap/Cream: Euro Palmolive in homemade stick (UHU)
Razor: Gillette Sensor Excel
Blade: Gillette Sensor Excel cartridge
Postshave: Aesop Merrocan Neroli

No fancy photo, no fancy shave. Away in QLD at my parents for a few days after being away for work up here.

Ordinary shave - need to update my travel kit before next trip.

12246873_10203873274830752_7387913193844563450_n.jpg

Left to Right: ShaverHeaven 1st Anniversary, Catie's Bubbles Black Bergamot, Wickham's Spice Trade, Erasmic, Thayers Unscented, Myrsol Emulsion, Alum, Fritz Bract "Tennis", Great Northern, Aesop 23mm STF2, Henkotsu (stillshunter modified), Jeantet briar, Redheads and stainless tool.

Been away for a few days. Trying to shave down your kit while you're away aint easy. I was going to take only the henkotsu but thanks to advice from @Mark I took a western straight along as back-up. I say 'thanks' because the kamisori only lasted one shave and then the edge came a little dull, still shaved arm hairs but got very tuggy on the face. I think storage in and out of a pouch can be a problem...

So just took the Tennis. I opted for the Tennis as it's always been reliable and if my bag went astray (and don't laugh as it has once in the past), then it would be the razor I'd be least pissed-off about (though I'd be thoroughly pissed off nonetheless). Anyway the decision was both good and bad. Good...as the shaves were top shelf. Bad....as FNQ is damned humid so rust could eat my little baby. If I remembered that, I'd have taken one of my stainless blades. Anyway I kept her bathed in olive oil when off the face.

I took the soaps that were tried and tested. The Shaver Heaven and Caties Bubbles were great, the Wickhams always surprisingly excellent (I need to buy me a big tub of this). The biggest surprise though was the Erasmic. Great protection and glide. I was very impressed. Thanks to @Nightguard for the sample.

I absolutely love it up in FNQ. I'd move there in a heart-beat. But I admit it's great being back home....with all my gear...including my stones. That henkotsu has a date with the nagura later today.

P.S., for those interested I took a handful of tobaccos with me. Standout was the Balkan Blue (Blue Mountain) and the Frog Morton Original. Both fine smokes indeed. A great way to reflect on a day's hiking.

BOT ...

Brush: EJ Synthetic Travel Brush
Soap/Cream: Euro Palmolive in homemade stick (UHU)
Razor: Gillette Sensor Excel
Blade: Gillette Sensor Excel cartridge
Postshave: Aesop Merrocan Neroli

No fancy photo, no fancy shave. Away in QLD at my parents for a few days after being away for work up here.

Ordinary shave - need to update my travel kit before next trip.
If you're to update your travel kit, surely it will need a booking of its own on the plane. Given the dearth of hardware available to choose from!

20151115_123134_zpsq3mkd6t1.jpg

SOTD Sunday, November 15

Cold water shave
Preshave: Bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Drogon Noir
Brush: Edwin Jagger Badger
Face lather
Razor: Inoue Fujisuke kamisori
After Shave: Home made bay rum

Enjoyed the kami shave so much yesterday I revisited this morning. Dragon Noir is a deep, familiar scent of polished timber furniture IMO. Like all shaver Heaven soaps, performance in the areas of glide and moisture retention are second to none. Although some of the stronger scents can be polarising, Drogon Noir has a comforting familiar scent that shavers will like. If I have one issue with the soap; the scent disperses as soon as the lather is gone. It is only a SHAVE SOAP however, not an A/S, I just prefer a soap that has the scent linger for a while.

The kami was superb again. I honestly recommend anybody who wants to attempt shaving with a Western style straight, start with a kamisori. They are two different techniques (one handed Vs two, different angles, skin stretching, etc.), but they are enjoyable to use and are similar enough to Western straights (both mean looking weapons) to build confidence, technique and hunger to use a straight. Wish I used one before I got into straights; my learning curve would have been quicker and with less bloodshed.

20151115_123134_zpsq3mkd6t1.jpg

SOTD Sunday, November 15

Cold water shave
Preshave: Bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Drogon Noir
Brush: Edwin Jagger Badger
Face lather
Razor: Inoue Fujisuke kamisori
After Shave: Home made bay rum

Enjoyed the kami shave so much yesterday I revisited this morning. Dragon Noir is a deep, familiar scent of polished timber furniture IMO. Like all shaver Heaven soaps, performance in the areas of glide and moisture retention are second to none. Although some of the stronger scents can be polarising, Drogon Noir has a comforting familiar scent that shavers will like. If I have one issue with the soap; the scent disperses as soon as the lather is gone. It is only a SHAVE SOAP however, not an A/S, I just prefer a soap that has the scent linger for a while.

The kami was superb again. I honestly recommend anybody who wants to attempt shaving with a Western style straight, start with a kamisori. They are two different techniques (one handed Vs two, different angles, skin stretching, etc.), but they are enjoyable to use and are similar enough to Western straights (both mean looking weapons) to build confidence, technique and hunger to use a straight. Wish I used one before I got into straights; my learning curve would have been quicker and with less bloodshed.
That's a nice looking razor there mate.

If you're to update your travel kit, surely it will need a booking of its own on the plane. Given the dearth of hardware available to choose from!

The EJ Synthetic will stay as will a twin blade cart so I can take through as carryon.

The Euro Palmolive is on its last legs and I got a Mama Bears stick - but it is too big. I don't like the Aesop either.

So I will NEED to buy some more product.

Maybe a DR Harris stick, TOBS like the Mama Bears too big, or La Toja or Speick stick - all being 50gr sticks will little excessive packaging. Maybe a 75ml tube of TOBS or DR Harris or I could find some containers for a smaller amount of a product I have, or possibly even use up my samples.

OK, so am I over thinking this ...

The EJ Synthetic will stay as will a twin blade cart so I can take through as carryon.

The Euro Palmolive is on its last legs and I got a Mama Bears stick - but it is too big. I don't like the Aesop either.

So I will NEED to buy some more product.

Maybe a DR Harris stick, TOBS like the Mama Bears too big, or La Toja or Speick stick - all being 50gr sticks will little excessive packaging. Maybe a 75ml tube of TOBS or DR Harris or I could find some containers for a smaller amount of a product I have, or possibly even use up my samples.

OK, so am I over thinking this ...
No I don't think you are over thinking really. It's tough to decide what to take on aircraft.
I like your thought of using samples. A sample pot has enough for maybe four shaves in it, perhaps more.
Small, convenient, and you will then actually empty them.

No I don't think you are over thinking really. It's tough to decide what to take on aircraft.
I like your thought of using samples. A sample pot has enough for maybe four shaves in it, perhaps more.
Small, convenient, and you will then actually empty them.

Yes, probably a good way of getting through samples - I must remember though to put a new one in each time I get home so that I always have the kit ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.