Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great @Mark1966 - will look forward to your SOTD :)
The ERR is my favourite DE razor (along with the KB)...hands down. For the reasons you've stated, as well as the beautiful shave it produces; smooth, comfortable and effortlessly efficient. It's my default DE I reach for.

Next time we catch up @filobiblic I must have a look at this razor.
It's not for everyone as its light and small. But that makes it nimble and deft around the face. The design and look are terrific; very "retro" and unique. And did I mention it's got a magnet? [emoji12]

Addition: @alfredus has had an ERR previously but didn't take to it. It could be because he prefers more heft and larger handles. (An alternate opinion for @Draco Noir)

Last edited:
20151124_SOTDSGraphNov_zpsl8plbnta.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon 2-band
Lather: Mike's Lime
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel,Draco Noir Neroli & Bergamot Shave Oil (Oil made and kindly donated by @Draco Noir)​

Mike's fights back with a vengeance - I thought my No 1 soap spot has changed, but today Mike's came back and made me thinking again - real first world problems :D :D :D

This soap really loves a dense badger, I assume it's due to the slow water release when lathering up - the result was tons of superb, slick, luxurious and glorious lather. My Epsilon seems to be a bit further than @Draco Noir, because it not only produces tons of lather, if also gives me more than enough for the 4 + 1 passes I want. Of course there was still a ton left, but if the brush demands some lather sacrifice, who am I to deny it ;)

Another point: although I think I am more of a fan/hybrid guy, I really appreciate this fat, wide and dense bulb. Massages beautifully and yet so silky smooth. I might not get another bulb any time soon, but will definitely hang on to this one for some time...

A perfect shave while nail guns and chain saws were used downstairs - again many thanks to @Draco Noir for a perfect finish to stellar shave.

It's not for everyone as its light and small. But that makes it nimble and deft around the face. The design and look are terrific; very "retro" and unique. And did I mention it's got a magnet? [emoji12]

Addition: @alfredus has had an ERR previously but didn't take to it. It could be because he prefers more heft and larger handles. (An alternate opinion for @Draco Noir)

I must say the ERR was one of my favourite razors - and certainly the best OC IMHO. Only reason I don;t still have it is that I could never find one...and bloody @Mark1966 would just never sell his!

OK I'm not touching the 'fougere' is for girls argument with a ten foot pole ;)...but I have to ask, what you doing messing with your ladies' soap mate?
I purchased this Soap for her but she is not using it. Don't honestly know what she is using lately. All I know is that my EJ DE89 with Bulldog handle has reappeared back in my shave rack and the Lady Gillette has been conspicuous by it's absence for the last couple of weeks.

I purchased this Soap for her but she is not using it. Don't honestly know what she is using lately. All I know is that my EJ DE89 with Bulldog handle has reappeared back in my shave rack and the Lady Gillette has been conspicuous by it's absence for the last couple of weeks.
...and the Johnny Goodsir, that's accounted for?

It's not for everyone as its light and small. ...

Yes, I would have preferred that it had more heft and a wider handle but ..

I must say the ERR was one of my favourite razors - and certainly the best OC IMHO. Only reason I don't still have it is that I could never find one...and bloody @Mark1966 would just never sell his!

Now we don't want to be talking about the vagaries of buying an ERR now do we mate??? ;)

... All I know is that my EJ DE89 with Bulldog handle has reappeared back in my shave rack and the Lady Gillette has been conspicuous by it's absence for the last couple of weeks.

Well wouldn't THAT be a turn up for the books! Very funny outcome :)

Razor: Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: 'French' English Wilkie (3)
Brush: Simpson vintage butterscotch
Soap: CRSW Bergamot and Bay
Aftershave: Myrsol Antesol

Ahh the ERR. Nice, light razor. Could do with more heft and a thicker handle - but then would probably be a different beast. Viva la difference - enjoy it for what it is Mark!

The CRSW Bergamot and Bay - subtle scent but nice, great performance as I think we all understand. Finished with Myrsol - this really is a top shelf brand (despite being 'industrial' @Pjotr !)

Well wouldn't THAT be a turn up for the books! Very funny outcome :)

Yep, yep. After all the talk of your razors shave better, it's the blades, it's the head, it's the handle, it's the alignment of the planets ... ... ... she now knows how to use a razor and finds the longer handle on the Lady Gillette is a plus when reaching down to her legs. All's well that ends well.

SOTD Wednesday, November 25

Cold water shave
Preshave: bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Forbidden Forest
Brush: Simpson Berkerley Badger
Face lather
Razor: Dovo full Stainless Steel 5/8

Four pass shave this morning. Great shave. Finished with some homemade bay rum A/S. No nicks, no burning, just the warm glow from alcohol.

20151125_085020 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose handle
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Chiseled Face Orange Creamsicle(Thanks @Draco Noir )
Post Shave: Nivea balm and Old Spice original AS
Two pass shave with a clean up. An effort was required for the Chiseled Face soap but was worth it. A good lather, slick and cushiony and a great post shave feel with this one. A menthol hit no less which lingered for about 15 minutes. The Polsilver did an excellent job .

20151125_zpsoccfkvtk.png

Face Wash : PAA Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Simpson Chubby 1 Best Badger
Soap : Valobra Patchouli
Razor : Kamisori - Iwasaki
After Shave : Fine Platinum

As soon as I started shaving today I realised that it's been 3 weeks or more since I shaved with a "real" Kamisori. I'd almost forgotten the amount of gymnastics required to do the job properly. Slathered the face with a beautiful, highly hydrated lather courtesy of the Valobra/Chubby combination. Thanks go to @Lifes a Peach and @alfredus for the videos they've posted recently on creating perfect lathers from a couple of the more challenging soaps. The techniques apply equally well to most other soaps, and have definitely changed (for the better) my approach to building lathers.
The required muscle memory for the Kamisori kicked in pretty quickly, and a great 3 pass shave ensued, with a 90% BBS result. I still have a bit of difficulty with the right cheek unless I cheat and reverse the Kamisori. You other guys who have decided to give Kamis a try - how do you manage a fully legit ATG pass on the right cheek (if you're right handed)? I'd be interested to hear some thoughts and approaches to this issue. Finished up with the usual Argan Oil, followed by a splash of the super Fine Platinum. These AS splashes are fantastic value for money, and the Fine range features some excellent scents.

Happy Shaving!

The required muscle memory for the Kamisori kicked in pretty quickly, and a great 3 pass shave ensued, with a 90% BBS result.

Finished up with the usual Argan Oil, followed by a splash of the super Fine Platinum. These AS splashes are fantastic value for money, and the Fine range features some excellent scents.

I'm glad someone's muscle memory kicked in, I got my Feather AC Kamisori out and went a couple of steps further than BBS on my face a few days ago (not in a good way). I'm more used to a folding straight and a slightly more forgiving edge but I can see the attraction with Kamisori razors. I have no advice with the ATG pass as I'm still figuring it out myself!

The Fine aftershaves are really good value especially considering Platinum is a very good clone of Creed Aventus which costs a little bit more..

The Fine aftershaves are really good value especially considering Platinum is a very good clone of Creed Aventus which costs a little bit more..

Ahh, that explains it - a Creed Aventus copy. No wonder I liked it. Thanks for that little snippet, @GQ1982 :)

As for the Feather "Kamisori" - for me it's by far the least forgiving of the options you mention above. I think its best point is that sloppy technique and concentration get punished, which is a great incentive for getting them up to speed. So it's worth hanging in there - your technique will see an across the board improvement (y)

Ahh, that explains it - a Creed Aventus copy. No wonder I liked it. Thanks for that little snippet, @GQ1982 :)

As for the Feather "Kamisori" - for me it's by far the least forgiving of the options you mention above. I think its best point is that sloppy technique and concentration get punished, which is a great incentive for getting them up to speed. So it's worth hanging in there - your technique will see an across the board improvement (y)

The Feather Kamisori was definitely unforgiving, especially with the Professional blades so I'll stick to shaving the cheeks with it for a while until my technique improves. Hopefully I still have a face to shave on the other side of this learning process :eek:

I think a few of the other Fine aftershaves are clones of more expensive fragrances as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.