Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is handy having @Mark1966 nearby isn't it Stillsy? But remember it's a collection. It's for looking at and you aren't meant to actually use them. And it's certainly not a razor rental service! [emoji14]
@Mark1966 has a couple of users and sometimes lends them out - he's a top bloke, all this for the occasional shandy.

It is handy having @Mark1966 nearby isn't it Stillsy? But remember it's a collection. It's for looking at and you aren't meant to actually use them. And it's certainly not a razor rental service! [emoji14]

Razor rental - now THAT is an idea!

In all seriousness guys I think razors deserved to be used - probably another reason why I've stepped back from collecting.

I've lent @stillshunter a couple of vintage razors and my Weber is the latest of my razors to go West for testing.

Maybe we could establish a P&C Razor Library ...

In Holland atm. Shaving with De Vergulde Hand soap stick. Great stuff actually. Nice soapy scent. Great lather. The stick rather than shaped like a tube is more of an oval and a wee bit easier to apply. Comes with a handy plastic stick holder. Goes well with my handy plastic razor. All very functional and cheap. My kind of shaving. Will bring some back with me to throw in to the next box-o-goodies.

Price you pay for itchy green pants...

Razor ==> Gillette Rocket 'Parat'
Blade ==> Wilkinson 'Made in England' Super Sword Edge @6
Cream ==> Taylor of Old Bond Street - Coconut
A.F ==> Aqua Velva Ice Sport

Less sharp, more smooth & very close. *Thumbs up*

Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap/Cream: Jabonman Terra Humeda
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Feather
After-shave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Coming back in the back gate from a little photo-walk this morning and picked up a familiar deep complex scent. What the hell is that, and where is it coming from?...and no it wasn't the dog shit as that'd all been scooped earlier. I continued pacing the yard with my nose working the air like a demented Basset Hound. Then it clicked - yes, it's the soil under the potatoes and rosemary. Put my nose down in there and sure enough! Been pretty wet this year and overnight a little more rain. So that bit of morning's warmth brought forward the smell of wet earth. But that wasn't what was so familiar, it smelled exactly like...that's it!

So I had to shave a day early. I had to break out the Jabonman. And it was goooood! From the get-go I've preferred the Brisa de Oriente, and I wondered if I should trade-off the Terra Humeda - it is predominantly vetiver which is an acquired taste (to say the least) but I think I'm starting to acquire it. If Jabonman isn't my best soap then really I'm not sure what is....or it is certainly on my toppest shelf.

Felt so confident with this lather that I thought I'd venture the Feather in the Fatip. This was to make good on my word to @Adam re: the Fatip liking a sharp blade. Never tried a Feather in one though - even though I recommended it hmmm....well it seemed the right thing to say at the time. So? This combination is 'king amazing. Simply so smooth - both the shave and even more so the result. The Fatip has a reputation for being an aggressive razor - normally taking the red ribbon just behind the R41's blue. But I'd prefer to say it is more 'efficient' than 'aggressive'. This was one great shave. Very close and zero irritation. So @Adam highly recommend a Feather in the Fatip mate. Also be keen for @Lifes a Peach to try this out to see how it compares to his NEW SC. So good I needed no healing and just went for the exquisite scent of the Mediterranean - some Agua Balsamic. Smells like home to me.

An exemplary shave inspired by the great outdoors. Ready now to tackle that ditch I got to dig...

Last edited:
Brush: Omega "Big Piggie" (#48)
Pre-Shave: Proraso Pre/post cream
Soap/Cream: Queen Charlotte Soaps Basilica
Razor: PH Weber
Blade: Feather [2]
After-shave: Myrsol Formula C (Violets)

Smoother than, or as smooth as, the LC?
Hmmm...I might have to ask @Mark1966 if he has a user I could take for a spin. I'm hoping to try a NEW DeLuxe one day.

The LC is smoother. The SC is more efficient and close (closest of any razor in my clan) but still quite comfortable.

After finishing off my sample of Stirling Electric Sheep (10 shaves, not the usual Stirling post-shave feel) I opened today my sample of Stirling Coniferous. Now I know again why I'm such a big fan of Stirling soaps: great larger, beautiful smokey scent and fantastic post-shave feel...you know the one where you can't stop stroking your face ;)

Boy do I, usually due to the Jabonman, Occams or Wickham
You need to try Mikes and Haslinger Schaffmilch then as well!

5 hours later and still glowing by the way ;)

You need to try Mikes and Haslinger Schaffmilch then as well!

5 hours later and still glowing by the way ;)
You got it mate.
Already loaded with the Haslinger Scaffmilch - saving that little puck for Winter. I believe a little Mike's goodness is on its way from @filobiblic ...not sure the flavour but should be here in a couple of days.

Well tonight I used my straight for the first time in a week after this:

Life gets in the way of enjoying your shaves. After @eggbert's hilarious shower escapade (hilarious for the rest of us anyway) I have a similar "shave halting issue". Northern Australia is synonamous with ceiling fans. Waiving my hands around I attempted to stop the metal blades with the side of my middle finger on my right hand (dominant hand) . Apart from removing a heap of skin and a bit of nail, my finger is bruised and currently masked with tape. I can not hold my straight for my evening shave and my morning shave with the DE89 is a struggle as the tape makes for a slippery hold on the razor. The last time I put my hand in the fan (15 years ago) it became infected and I couldn't do anything for a couple of weeks. Hoping this time I will have dexterity and feeling back by Friday.

My SOTD is pictured here:
https://db.tt/G5pEIPZY.

Cold water shave.
Soap: C&E West Indian Lime with a few drops of TOBS Sandlewood Shave Cream for increased lather and glide.
Brush: Simpson Berkeley.
Razor: Dovo Stainless Steel 5/8 full hollow.
Strop: Dovo.
AS: Brut Original Splash On.

Great shave. While my week of DE shaving only was enjoyable due to the ease of use, getting back to my straight satisfied the "challenge" within.

Great shave. While my week of DE shaving only was enjoyable due to the ease of use, getting back to my straight satisfied the "challenge" within.
Good to hear you're back in action with the str8. Hope the finger healed well.
Do you have any hones?

Good to hear you're back in action with the str8. Hope the finger healed well.
Do you have any hones?

Only 1 x hone. A Shapton glass 8000. I do about 40 laps each side every 2-3 weeks. The 8000 is nice and gentle and I'm guesstimating that if I use the 8000 every few weeks I won't need to purchase a 4000 to perform any serious honing. A limited budget keeps me to 1 x 8000 and going by the tradie's moto of "look after your tools and they will look after you".​

Sunday 1 February 2015

192143d1422796391-sun-february-01st-sat-february-07th-sotd-01022015.jpg

Mastro Livi CarboInox, 6/8 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch

A memorable shave. A stunning beautiful straight razor, a magnificent soap, a fabulous brush, a luxurious aftershave. I wanted the best for the first shave in which I used this superior, stunning, amazing and beautiful Mastro Livi CarboInox straight razor. I love Mastro Livi Carbon Damascus touch and thanks to this razor, which point is made of stainless steel, I discovered a new pleasure in shaving. The blade is velvety and smooth - like every Mastro Livi carbon damascus steel is - while the point becomes a little more aggressive - because of stainless steel - very effective is some particular spots of the face. A superior straight razor, just another proof of the craftsmanship, talent, art and skill of this remarkable Italian artisan, a genius in making straight razors, both in performance and beauty!​
  • Pre-Shave: Myrsol Emulsión
  • Soap: Elberel P.160
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip, Makassar Ebony Handle, 26mm knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi CarboInox, 6/8 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.