Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
@stillshunter i gave the Fatip another shot this morning. I had to steer clear from it over the weekend as i just didnt have the confidence to give it another crack. I almost went with the feather as suggested, but thought id just try the Polsilver SI.
I also used the Barrister & mann soap for the first time this morning. That stuff is something else definately one of my top performers.

The shave went how i expected the first try to go. Very aggresive or efficient as some might say. Smooth in some areas and tender in others. 2 pass shave left nothing behind, that was good as if i had to do another pass i feel i would have opened up a few areas on my face.

R41 - Polsilver (1)
Omega Straw broom - Stiiiill waiting on my new simmo :-(
Strop Shoppe - London Morning
Jermyn Street Balm.

The R41 is going strong, though having been on a boat the last week shaving didn't happen. The Strop Shoppe is still making excellent lather, and is a great performer, a great product. London Morning, Austin and Baker Street are all decent scents anyone could get on with.

Ahh it's nice to shave again

Pre-shave: Edwin Jagger Pre-Shave cream
Brush: Semogue Cerda
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soaps Ben Franklin
Razor: Gillette NEW SC
Blade: Personna Med Prep - 2nd day
After-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel (Rose) / Myrsol Agua Balsamica

The Edwin Jagger sample, courtesy of @Young Buck, and came with a strong recommendation. Pre-shaves are not part of my routine so I forgot to apply it on the first pass, where it's probably needed the most. I slapped it on for round 2 but that defeats the purpose I guess. Anyway, the EJ has plenty of menthol. I'll do it the proper way tomorrow.

My first shave with Stirling Soaps. Yep, I'm a bit late to the party. I'd describe the Ben Franklin scent something like mix of cloves and cardamom. Smells like a spice market. Lots of nice protective lather on the first pass. Does everyone remember the days of using the same old canned tripe that smelled the same, day in day out? Thank the Lord for all of this glorious variety and quality! The lather was quite thin for the 2nd pass but I put that down to my still green Cerda.

The Agua Balsamic turned out to be a good match for the soap.

Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Blade: Wilkinson Super Sword Edge @ 7
Cream: Old Spice (the scentless reformulation, I seek the moment when my cabinet will be freed of all that stuff that I wont buy again. You're the next, Yardley Deluxe Gold ಠ_ಠ )
A.F: Joop! ( Brought to you by Christmas 2013 :D The only stuff I know that burn as much as Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum)

I did a quick double WTG, the English wilks haven't kicked the bucket yet.

Note: Everyone should own at least one extra Wilkinson Sword Classic to give to a friend in a starter pack.

Last edited:
Heavenly wedding anniversary shave with Occam's pre-shave original, RR SS V1, Vie-Long 12705B, fresh Voshtok Blade, Stirling Coniferous and Stirling Lavender & Sage witch hazel - life is indeed good on a full moon in Ubud!

zCc1KBA.png

Brush: Plisson synth
Soap/Cream: Dr Jon's Big Green Monster
Razor: PH Weber
Blade: Feather [3]
After-shave: Floid Vigoroso

Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap/Cream: Mike's Barber Shop
Razor: Fatboy (7)
Blade: Feather (1)
After-shave: Floid

Was getting a little over everyone banging on about Mikes, so very appreciative of @filobiblic trading me a tub. So now I've taking it for a run just to understand what all the damn fuss is about.

.....and boy is it justified. This stuff's going up on the top shelf with the Wickhams, Occams and Jabonman. So 'king good! We, my friends, are spoiled for choice.

Brush: Semogue Cerda
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soaps Ben Franklin
Blade: Personna Med Prep - 2nd day
After-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel (Rose) / Myrsol Agua Balsamica

The Edwin Jagger sample, courtesy of @Young Buck, and came with a strong recommendation. Pre-shaves are not part of my routine so I forgot to apply it on the first pass, where it's probably needed the most. I slapped it on for round 2 but that defeats the purpose I guess. Anyway, the EJ has plenty of menthol. I'll do it the proper way tomorrow.

My first shave with Stirling Soaps. Yep, I'm a bit late to the party. I'd describe the Ben Franklin scent something like mix of cloves and cardamom. Smells like a spice market. Lots of nice protective lather on the first pass. Does everyone remember the days of using the same old canned tripe that smelled the same, day in day out? Thank the Lord for all of this glorious variety and quality! The lather was quite thin for the 2nd pass but I put that down to my still green Cerda.

The Agua Balsamic turned out to be a good match for the soap.

Did you get another chance to try the preshave?

For me it turns the first pass into a second past result.
Wow, that's quite a call....as many folks on here claim zero difference with using a preliminary facial lube. Is this specific to the EJ or pre-shaves generally?

Hey all can I ask how are adding pics. Mine says it is disabled in Taptalk
@Monsta_AU has disabled hosting photos on site at the moment. So probably the easiest thing to do is host them somewhere yourself, like flickr, instagram, public folder in dropbox or on imgur.com and just link to the image.

Just the EJ pre-shave. Find it really softens the hair.
Why this compared to other pre-shaves? What ingredients does it contain that the others don't...?! :suspicious:

Brush: Plisson L'Occy
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann Nocturne
Blade: Personna Med Prep - 3rd day
After-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel (Rose) / Floid Vigoroso

The B&M lathered up very nicely but I have no recollection of the scent. I slept in (my body clock is still 3 hours behind AEST) and had an early appointment. Being half asleep and in a rush I did not stop to smell the roses. But that lather was some A-grade cream.

Rushed job but the outcome was pretty sweet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.