Status
Not open for further replies.
20151212_SOTDSSepia_zps3brvzlms.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant V1
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Best
Lather: Mike's Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, Draco Noir Neroli & Bergamot Shave Oil (Oil made and kindly donated by @Draco Noir)
Finally a shave after 4 days and I wanted to just enjoy without any challenges - and boy did I enjoy! The RRSS V1 is such a stellar razor that reduced my stubble with zero troubles, and the brush a soap combo are just made in heaven...what a beautiful Saturday!

Finally got the Tim's into a nice flat puck to load off.

Brush: Plissitane
Soap: Tim's "Greek Peach"
Razor: Fatboy E3 (5)
Blade: La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (1)

After a thin and disappointing lather off the 4 squares of Tim's that @SydBJW passed on to me originally, finally after adding a drop of water per week to the small container it was in, the soap was soft enough to press into a flat puck. Loaded well, plenty of product in the knot.

Lathered to the level I would expect of a good artisinal soap, and took water like a champion to create a cushioned yet slick lather. Quick two-passer with the Fatboy but did hit a bump which is now only half a bump. Alum after sorted that out.

Stirling Barbershop
34c w/ Rapira Platinum Lux (2)
MensBiz Super Badger
Speick Aftershave

I think when you factor in value for money, performance and scent, Stirling is my favourite tallow soap thus far. Brilliant shave and the Rapira are a great blade as well. Only my second day using one of them, and the results have been fantastic. Face lathered today, and don't think the mensbiz brush is my jam. I'll have to keep my eyes out for the next time someone offloads a good badger. Till then will stick to my trusty boars.

I'll have to keep my eyes out for the next time someone offloads a good badger.
I believe that a Magical Store of Wet Shaving Goods will carry close to the full range of ShaveMac brushes. They are a fine brush indeed and worth checking out.

(And I'm sure someone will offload a badger sometime down the track. If you're after a particular brush, you could post a Want to Buy/WTB thread.)

ZNo5DXl.jpg

Fahrenheit - never fails to get a compliment from Mrs Peach

Brush: Limited Edition 2012 Semogue Badger & Boar
Lather: Barrister & Mann Fougére
Razor: Merkur 37C slant
Blade: Personna Med Prep
After: Thayes and Christian Dior Fahrenheit

Back-to-back weeks with the Merkur 37C to compare the Personna Med Prep and Polsilver Super Iridium blades.
They are on par with each other. Both plenty sharp, smooth and very forgiving. Both do a great job in the slant.
No discernible difference that I could detect.

Back-to-back weeks with the Merkur 37C to compare the Personna Med Prep and Polsilver Super Iridium blades.
They are on par with each other. Both plenty sharp, smooth and very forgiving. Both do a great job in the slant.
No discernible difference that I could detect.​

Do you think the Personna Med Preps are any different from the regular lab blues? I've got both and think they're same same.

Muhle bristle
G&F Timor 5/8
Shaver Heaven 1st anniversary

This afternoon I gave face lathering a try. This soap smells so good I wanted to eat my own face! Lathered easily and I actually really enjoyed the massaging effect of the bristles. Having said that I've never actually used a proper badger brush. The SH soap didn't leave any residue on my razor like the Proraso soap does. Had a couple of nicks this afternoon but nothing to write home about. Let's just put that down to me being a complete novice (this is only my second full shave since having the G&F honed).

Pre Shave: Orignal Source Lime shower gel heavily spiked with Menth
Brush:
Edwin Jagger synthetic
Soap/Cream: B&M Bealudere
Razor: Facepeeler aka RiMei
Blade: Polsilver Si (1)
After-shave: Alcolado Glacial

Liking the A/S more I use it.
Not too sure about the brush though.
As for the razor, a review here.
A SAS, soap or brush were not responsible though for that rating.

Brush Shedomatic
Soap PAA Strewth
Razor Slim Shady on 5 for 1st pass, 3 on second, NO THIRD (to give an idea, it's usually 9 wtg, 9 atg, 5 xtg to finish off)!
Blade Rapira (0)
Post Shave Cold water, LOTS of cold water, then PAA Menthol Pre-Shave soap, half of Warragamba dam of cold water, finally Nivea Sensitive ASB

Gave my poor tortured face 48 hour off from a razor, in which time, I had the thought that the prior bad shave may be due to the Rapira being on it's last legs and/or the razor is too aggressive.
HA!
Pic is worth a thousand words they say...
oIwtUEJ.jpg

Yes, the soap failed to afford enough protection to prevent opening up an old war wound and left stubble.
Yellow skin tone is due to sticking my head into liquid nitrogen, ahem I wish I could, it is due to shadows.

I will venture to trying another soap in case it's one of the fragrance oils or just a bad batch... eventually, yet NOT with this scent!
What's weird is the A/S has nowhere near the same effect, yet does sting/burn a bit, @shavetheman @D_Smythe any suggestions what's going on here to result in this reaction ?

Ouch, sorry to see that sir. That would be a classic reaction to the fragrance/ essential oils. I believe it's the soothing ingredients in the AS that is counterbalancing the reaction. If this ever happens again with any artisan soap PM us asap and we may be able to trouble shoot down to the root cause! :) With that said, PM me if you have any other questions! Sorry again to see this.

I feel that new shavers start with creams and bowl lathering as it seem "easier" to assess your lather. But with experience and time, a true wet shaver will graduate to face lathering as they know their lather and don't need to simplistically use a bowl.

Forceful, but true my brother in the shave! I feel LaP is a true friend for pointing you to the best.

Hmmm, @filobiblic - I agree with much of what you say, but in your zeal you verge on patronising mate :( IIRC @razorguy for example frequently uses a bowl. Do you want to let him in on the news that he's "simplistic" and not a "true wet shaver"? I'm not taking offence here, but some might. It's the usual problem with online communication - there are no "softening cues" like facial expression or tone of voice available, just words that are usually taken literally...

But when your face lather takes as long or even longer than bowl lathering, you know you reached the light @Draco Noir ;)

Thanks @alfredus - that's the most positive and appealing spin yet on this face vs bowl thing. You certainly make me feel like exploring it further :) The idea that it can actually take longer is a pleasant revelation!

I'm an "each to their own" kind of guy but I'm still working on him (y)

Gawd @Lifes a Peach, you make me sound like an old car or something - "I'm still working on him". While you've got the bonnet up, can you add a bit of handsome? :p

The closeness of a DE shave is right up there with that of any other system but I prefer the process itself when I use a straight, kami, SE or Schick. I'm off overseas for a month this Monday and it's a toss up between my 1912 and my E Type for travel duties.

@khun_diddy - if a thing's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. Knock yourself out and take both :D

@MrT : like the new avatar - it looks like a guy who shaves :)

20151213_zpstwkvgf3j.png

Face Wash : Shower
Pre-Shave : Myrsoft Emulsion
Brush : Plisson
Soap : Martin de Candre
Razor : Tanifuji 666 Silver Steel
After Shave : Home made pre/post shave oil blend
After Shave Splash : Musgo Real Orange Amber

I started today's shave with face-lathered Martin de Candre. Managed to make a bit of a mess, but as with almost everything wet shaving there is obviously a learning curve to be scaled. The result left nothing to be desired though - a wonderful MdC lather.

666 - Mark of the Beast? Well, this Tanifuji is certainly a beast in all the right ways. As far as my research has taken me, it seems that Tanifuji is up there with Iwasaki as one of a tiny handful of elite Japanese razor artisans. While it may not be quite as exceptional as my Iwasaki Tokiwa, this razor certainly doesn't disappoint. It's a very hollow "singing" grind and offers a ton of feedback, both acoustic and mechanical. It delivered a very comfortable, close shave with no special effort on my part. My usual difficult spots surrendered instantly to the lightest strokes, leaving my face totally comfortable.

Finished off with my own oil blend, followed by a good splash of Musgo Real AS. Sunday, here I come :)

Last edited:
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Shavemac 177 Black
Soap: Shaver Heaven Summer Breeze
Post Shave: Nivea Balm and Proraso Green
Three pass shave with no issues and pure pleasure. First use of the Summer Breeze and the scent is a beauty. Robust and long lasting, perfect for that summers day. The performance is also excellent, so easy to lather with great cushion and superb slickness. Post shave feel is also at the top end. Great Sunday shave of the day.
20151213_084627 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

Yeah, I agree.

Apparently they are identical. There was a thread on B&B where a letter from the manufacturer was produced saying that the only difference between them was how the med preps were packaged to comply with hospital hygiene regulations. Obviously this made no difference to the med prep fanboys who still swore blind that they were twice as sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.