Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, @filobiblic - I agree with much of what you say, but in your zeal you verge on patronising mate :(
... I'm not taking offence here, but some might. It's the usual problem with online communication - there are no "softening cues" like facial expression or tone of voice available, just words that are usually taken literally...
Yep. Went a bit overboard with the force of the words. Sorry about that. Glad that you're not taking offence. I'd be disappointed if you did though because most people aren't out to hurt (although some are and most of the time they are easy to spot).

Most of what I wrote was strong but light - written in the spirit of a fellow man trying to convince the other of seeing "the light". Persuasive yet spirited. You'd accept it from @LifesaPeach because you know him. But me? Yeah, you don't know me from a tin of soap...

Let's just say that generally a once off is just that "once off". But if it was repeated and persistent in being forceful or aggressive, well then that's another matter...

Yep. Went a bit overboard with the force of the words. Sorry about that. Glad that you're not taking offence. I'd be disappointed if you did though because most people aren't out to hurt (although some are and most of the time they are easy to spot).

Most of what I wrote was strong but light - written in the spirit of a fellow man trying to convince the other of seeing "the light". Persuasive yet spirited. You'd accept it from @LifesaPeach because you know him. But me? Yeah, you don't know me from a tin of soap...

Let's just say that generally a once off is just that "once off". But if it was repeated and persistent in being forceful or aggressive, well then that's another matter...

Absolutely no problem @filobiblic - it was taken (and appreciated) in the spirit in which you offered it mate. And I am certainly going to give face lathering a big try - too many people whose opinions I respect swear by it. I aim to be as open to new ideas, techniques etc as I can possibly be. And I'm absolutely in favour of spirited discourse - everybody benefits from exploring things they don't normally get involved in.

I apologise too if I sounded a bit 'precious' - not my intention at all. Happy shaves, fellow str8 lover :)

20151213_zpstwkvgf3j.png

Face Wash : Shower
Pre-Shave : Myrsoft Emulsion
Brush : Plisson
Soap : Martin de Candre
Razor : Tanifuji 666 Silver Steel
After Shave : Home made pre/post shave oil blend
After Shave Splash : Musgo Real Orange Amber

I started today's shave with face-lathered Martin de Candre. Managed to make a bit of a mess, but as with almost everything wet shaving there is obviously a learning curve to be scaled. The result left nothing to be desired though - a wonderful MdC lather.

666 - Mark of the Beast? Well, this Tanifuji is certainly a beast in all the right ways. As far as my research has taken me, it seems that Tanifuji is up there with Iwasaki as one of a tiny handful of elite Japanese razor artisans. While it may not be quite as exceptional as my Iwasaki Tokiwa, this razor certainly doesn't disappoint. It's a very hollow "singing" grind and offers a ton of feedback, both acoustic and mechanical. It delivered a very comfortable, close shave with no special effort on my part. My usual difficult spots surrendered instantly to the lightest strokes, leaving my face totally comfortable.

Finished off with my own oil blend, followed by a good splash of Musgo Real AS. Sunday, here I come :)

WOW - another truly beautiful razor @Draco Noir - very glad it shaves as good as it looks - enjoy!

Ouch, sorry to see that sir. That would be a classic reaction to the fragrance/ essential oils. I believe it's the soothing ingredients in the AS that is counterbalancing the reaction. If this ever happens again with any artisan soap PM us asap and we may be able to trouble shoot down to the root cause! :) With that said, PM me if you have any other questions! Sorry again to see this.
Thanks for the reply, I do have further questions and will PM you as requested.

Sunday 13 December 2015

221461d1450018475-sun-december-13th-sat-december-19th-sotd-13122015.jpg

Mastro Livi Shaving Set

I absolutely love this Mastro Livi olive wood soap bowl with brush holder, as well as the badger brush with olive wood handle, both now making a lovely Mastro Livi shave kit paired to Grifetto's olive wood scales. I personally watched the making of this soap bowl, lid and brush, being totally amazed and enchanted by Mastro Livi art, skill and craftsmanship in creating masterpieces. He made both bowl with lid and brush handle by working an olive wood log at the lathe and at the end he created this stupendous piece of art. The bowl has been filled with a chunk of Aguizzeria del Cavallo almond shaving soap, one of my favorite ones. A luxury and artistic shave having a perfect companion and final touch thanks to my favorite aftershave of all times: Floïd Mentolado Vigoroso, simply a magnificent and refreshing aftershave.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Aguzzeria del Cavallo Almond Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Badger, Olive Wood Handle - 22mm knot
  • Bowl: Mastro Livi Olive Wood Shave Bowl with Brush Holder
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Grifetto, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbria Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Mentolado Vigoroso

20151214_081728 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose handle
Blade: Permasharp Super
Brush: Shavemac 177 Black
Soap: Shaver Heaven Barbershop
Post Shave: Nivea Balm and Blue Stratos AS
Two pass shave with a clean up. First use of the Barbershop Shaver Heaven and it did not disappoint. Easy to lather and provides ample protection during the shave. Post shave feel is also top notch. The scent fills the bathroom and is very calming and pleasant. The result is no irritation and an excellent shave.

20151214_zpsczptlzd9.png

Face Wash : O Melhor Exfoliating Soap
Pre-Shave : Draco's Pre/Post Shave Oil
Brush : Shavemac
Soap : MWF
Razor : Jerry Stark 6/8
After Shave : Draco's Pre/Post Shave Oil
After Shave Splash : Antiga Barbearia AS

Face lathered with good old Mitchell's today. I think I started with the brush a bit too dry - I had to add extra water 3 or 4 times before I got the Mitchell's lather I was aiming for. After that it was plain sailing. The Jerry Start razor is really nice - a no nonsense, well made instrument that shaves beautifully. I honed it last night and let my enthusiasm get away a bit - it ended up too sharp and needed quite a few laps on the roo leather strop before it hit that beautiful balance of sharpness and comfort. It's now close to perfect, as I'm reminded every time I touch my face :) I used my own shaving oil blend for both pre and post shave today and was very happy with it. A final splash of Antiga Barbearia AS and we are officially good to go.

2gP5cYH.jpg

Say Hello to the Baby Smooth

Brush : Simpson Duke 3
Soap : Shaver Heaven Arctic Mango (thank you @Osman )
Razor : Razorock Baby Smooth (on loan, thanks @Draco Noir )
Blade : Personna Med Prep
After Shave Splash : Thayers and Floid Vigoroso​

Friday lunch with the Melbourne Boys always throws up a welcome surprise.
This time a wonderful gift from Osman and a new toy to trial from Draco.

Much has already been said about Arctic Smooth and my experience was just a mere echo.

The Razorock Baby Smooth picks up from the Stealth Slant. Made with the same 6061 aluminium and coated in a black anodised finish.

The good :- First impression is that this razor provides close and efficient shaves with very little effort. It lessens the harshness of blades and quite effective for a light weight instrument. I'm suddenly keen to see what this razor can do with a Feather blade. Blade loading and alignment is child's play.

The not-so-good :- I experience some drag. Same friction that I find with the Stealth Slant. Must the coating. Weird because the top cap feels smooth when I rub my finger over it but there is some friction going on during the shave.​

Status
Not open for further replies.