Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
12373435_10204020268505502_4967799739647184552_n.jpg

Here's yesterday's arrival - a sheer punt. Looks like a Dubl Duck GoldenEdge, but does it shave like one?
...well...
...fucked if I know as I've never tried a Dubl Duck. But I did shave with it stroke to stroke with the Red Imp and the Golden Rod was, well, GOLD! Real light, real sharp, real smooth and an absolute singer! TBH it reminds me of my Filarmonica-13. ...except for the gold highlights which are growing on me. I'm pretty damn happy so far....now to see if it holds an edge.

Big shout out thanks-wise to our resident suds'man @SydBJW for the sample of the Beaver Woodwright Thomas Tew. Too early to make an absolute call on the performance but I'm pretty happy with that first shave. But that scent...yeah, yeah, WINNER! esp. for this time of year. Scorching here and the citrus top notes were just the thing!

Post-shave: The Stray Whisker After Shave Balm

Now, to the new kid on the block. From @shavetheman's shop, my sample of their after shave balm. See the ingredients here along with their description:

Both my wife and I recognise something familiar about it scent wise but cannot place it. It is only lightly mentholated, certainly no big 'zing' which I'm not looking for anyway. Seems pleasant and moisturising without being sticky or clammy. First impression is pretty good IMHO.
Top shave @Mark1966

Great little review. Mirrors my thoughts too. A top little aftershave balm. [emoji106]

(Be great to start a new - review - thread for this...[emoji6])

(Be great to start a new - review - thread for this...[emoji6])

Haven't got enough to say on it yet. Was thinking I might have after tomorrow morning's shave.

You have just got to love a crisp sharp straight. Experimented tonight with my lather. My soaps are scent free so I added a drop of Peppermint to the scuttle and wow what a great experience. Peppermint has a very high Menthol content so the face felt so cool. Tomorrow will tell if I have any irritation issues but so far so good. I used my Sonnal 11/16" which I had finished on my Cnat slurried with a matching slurry stone @Mark pointed out on ebay. The Cnat is a great finisher but slow and the finishing of the edge was so much quicker with the slurry then worked to water only.

DFS with no issues. I have reached the point I don't think [as long as I can of course] - I don't think I will use anything other than a cut throat.

Brush: Wolf Whiskers Ubersoft II
Soap: SV Tundra Artica
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Razor: Gillette Short Comb

First shave ever today with the Gillette Short Comb. What a great razor, just work well. Had a good two pass shave with touch up.

The soap that arrived from Con's store is great. It lathers very easily. Has a great earthy scent for mine. Provides a very slick shave. This was my first SV soap but it won't be my last :)

Brush: Simpsons Tulip 1
Razor: EJ 89
Blade: Voskhod
Cream: GFT Limes
A/S: Fine American + 444

Different razor, same result with the Voskhod. Rough and inefficient. Will not be trying in a third razor.

What a shame for you - maybe my luck? Please send me a PM if you want to get rid of them...

20151220_SOTDS_zpsanznlkd8.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (2)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Best
Lather: Stirling Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Best shave with the BBS-1 so far! Don't know if it was the (FINALLY) cool-change or not having anything on until lunch for the first time in weeks - but until now I feared the razor would be to aggressive for my likings - but today I got a prefect silky smooth shave and zero issues - fastrubation the whole day :D :D :D

The verdict is in for me at least. Peppermint oil and me do not get on. Tonight back to unscented and while it wasn't that flush of mountain streams it hopefully will be less irritation tomorrow.

Invincta Supreme 6/8" - this has to be my very best straight as it just wipes everything away. DFS and a smile.

Sunday 20 December 2015

222001d1450619417-sun-december-13th-sat-december-19th-sotd-20122015.jpg

My Mastro Livi Shaving Set, at Last!

It has been such a joy today to shave with my Mastro Livi shaving set! I waited many months for this to happen, by ordering one piece at a time, and I finally have in my collection a complete Mastro Livi Shaving Set. The last piece of the set was the straight razor and Mastro Livi finally made it last Saturday, adding a breathtaking masterpiece to this set. It is in fact an artisanal straight razor, totally hand forged by Mastro Livi and by using a forge, hammer and anvil, putting talent, craftsmanship and art to this awesome straight razor. I opted for a French point because I wanted to see the hammer marks on the whole spine and profile and I must admit it has been a magnificent choice. The point of this razor is in fact super precise, not to mention super sharp, making very easy the shaving of tricky spots of the face. I should also add this K600 carbon steel is capable of giving a super velvety sensation to the skin as well as delivering a very deep, close and smooth shave. I am absolutely very proud of this hand forged straight razor not to mention my Mastro Livi Shaving Set. Now completed, at last!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Badger "Pennello Italiano", 22mm knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi K600 "Forgiato a Mano" Rasoio Italiano, 15/16 Full Hollow, French Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbria Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

Status
Not open for further replies.