Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now you know, which means now you'll have to go!

(Add me to the order too please... [emoji14])

I did wanted into their store in London by acident a couple of years ago - bit pricey. $US71 for there shaving cream from the US site.

I'm not being very verbose these days am I? This is the signature range of soap which I have found to be better than the others. I managed to mess the lather up I think with a bit too much water. Seemed fine for the first pass then went bubbly and broke down after that. The scent on this is ok but smells a bit like ladies shampoo. What do you think of it?
I sometimes take it in my travel kit due to its compact size and inoffensive scent. It does have a narrower zone of water to lather, but if you're aware then it works out ok. Overall it's got a thumbs up from me.

The scent may not be for everyone (it's certainly not your regular "masculine" scent). I do like the traditional 'violets' scent (very floral!) which I know you don't, so I'm guessing our scent choices may not overlap sometimes. [emoji6]

My turn.
How does that soap smell? Good? Strong? I'm seriously tempted by it even though I'm trying not to buy anything at the moment.
It smells good to me! Here is their scent profile (on an Aussie site).

To my nose? Woodiness but not overpowering; slight earthiness/greenery. Very pleasant. It reminds me of L'Occitane fragrances for some reason (but no pepper, spice or florals!).

It's got a good strength to it; without being overpowering.

Like the other SV soaps- it's just made for wet shaving- especially with a straight. Excellent. I really love triple milled soaps and better yet when made by an artisan!

What do you think of the AI?
I really like the Alt Innsbruck. It smells to me like a "classic" scent - strong and clean. Floral but not sweet or flowery. It smells dry and slight woodyness. It's a Tabacco scent but not smokey. Not as green or sweet as SH Green Tabacco. If I close my eyes I can picture James Bond in the gentlemen's smoking room with fireplace and stuff drinks. It's that kind of classic masculine scent that's hard to pin down.

I don't like the old style of having no reducer! It's definitely going to be a dab-dab action rather than a splash-slap action...

I did wanted into their store in London by acident a couple of years ago - bit pricey. $US71 for there shaving cream from the US site.
Hmmm, not for me then... Pass. [emoji51]

I don't like the old style of having no reducer! It's definitely going to be a dab-dab action rather than a splash-slap action...

Mine, if I keep it, will be decanted into a spray bottle I suspect.

Tried it on Sunday and it didn't work - will give it a week before I try again ...

I sometimes take it in my travel kit due to its compact size and inoffensive scent. It does have a narrower zone of water to lather, but if you're aware then it works out ok. Overall it's got a thumbs up from me.

The scent may not be for everyone (it's certainly not your regular "masculine" scent). I do like the traditional 'violets' scent (very floral!) which I know you don't, so I'm guessing our scent choices may not overlap sometimes. [emoji6]

It smells good to me! Here is their scent profile (on an Aussie site).

To my nose? Woodiness but not overpowering; slight earthiness/greenery. Very pleasant. It reminds me of L'Occitane fragrances for some reason (but no pepper, spice or florals!).

It's got a good strength to it; without being overpowering.

Like the other SV soaps- it's just made for wet shaving- especially with a straight. Excellent. I really love triple milled soaps and better yet when made by an artisan!

I really like the Alt Innsbruck. It smells to me like a "classic" scent - strong and clean. Floral but not sweet or flowery. It smells dry and slight woodyness. It's a Tabacco scent but not smokey. Not as green or sweet as SH Green Tabacco. If I close my eyes I can picture James Bond in the gentlemen's smoking room with fireplace and stuff drinks. It's that kind of classic masculine scent that's hard to pin down.

Nice. I can see the SV soap in my future. I have the Fern and the Flying Mango one and I like the performance. A lot! If it was my only soap I'd be happy.

20151221_zpskgoyxlp3.png

Hey @Draco Noir , is the Hoshi Tombo 4000 a western or eastern grind? Love the look and the size...

OK so definitely lock a tour, visit and gift shop buy into your itinerary. Actually best pass the itinerary onto me mate so I can make any other necessary adjustments I need....it will save some bother this way.

Sure.

Hey - would it be easier if you went and I stayed here ?

Pre-Shave PAA Mentholated ICE Scentless Pre-Shave Soap
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap Shaver Heaven Arctic Mango (thanks to @Osman)
Razor Ikon #102 Slant
Blade Permasharp
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & Stirling Margaritas In The Arctic ASB

Two days running with the Arctic Mango and while it could do with more menthol, this is a wonderful scent. Absolutely loving this soap - great job @Anthony
Perfectly matches the Stirling Margaritas In The Arctic ASB, hmmm Mango Margaritas.

Hey @Draco Noir , is the Hoshi Tombo 4000 a western or eastern grind? Love the look and the size...

The grind on it is that "Faux Kami" grind I was explaining to @khun_diddy 2 or 3 weeks ago. Not a proper Kamisori grind, but a piece taken off the spine to offset the contact point on the hone slightly, which leads to a slightly biased cutting bevel. Read the thing I wrote for @khun_diddy - it's not that easy to explain in words but easy to see and understand.

I don't know why, but this little guy is the one you see for sale least often out of all the Hoshi Tombos - maybe everybody loves them and hangs onto them....

20151222_092936 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux
Brush: Shavemac 177 Black
Soap: Panna Crema San Francesco
Post Shave: Floid Vigoroso
Two pass shave with clean up. Very impressive soap. The scent is quite earthy and pleasant but excellent performance. Needs a little work but results in a rich , creamy lather. Post shave feel is wonderful. With a splash of the Floid I am feeling ready for the day.

Brush Shavemac Two Band
Soap 95 Liquid Labels Caties Bubbles
Razor Tech slim handle
Blade Lab Blue (1)
Post Shave Alum

I am liking the tech razor, it is working well for me. Had a nice two pass shave with minor touch up.

Now as @borked knows from visiting my house one evening, my wife hates the vast majority of shaving soap scents (might think about 5 in 25 is passable). This Catie's Bubbles based on Tommy she loves. It is from the french + style and as all their soaps it just lathers well and preforms great for me. All in all a good shave.

20151222_SOTDSGraphNov_zpstyehkcc8.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Stirling Kong
Lather: RazoRock Holy Cannoli
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Another fantastic shave with the BBS-1 - soap review coming up in a couple of minutes

12391122_10204036340147283_7602713218408476658_n.jpg

Today's soap - Beaver Woodwright's Thomas Tew - is brought to you by @SydBJW "The Sudsman". Makes a thoroughly awesome lather. Tempted to get me some, but we'll see...

Straight shavers out there, who haven't already, get yourself a Japanese frameback. No, don't make up some bullshit excuses, just get one. They're not pricey, they are widely available and they give a consistently great shave. Mine I call "O-Ren Ishii", a.k.a. Cottonmouth

v783qwezwe8hm6iyiiei.jpg

Looks sweet, looks gentle...but you better know that she is so sharp, she can cut you so, bad, so deep and so silently. But keep a close eye on her, treat her right and she is so sweet and so gentle. Also she easily blends into a crowd, I often overlook using her, but then once I see her and use her I think that's all I really need.

Seriously fellas, get one! I'm getting me another I reckon.

P.S., love to know what mine is - i.e., what the kanji characters represent and say...

Straight: Gold Dollar #66
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: B&M Latha
Aftershave: Nivea ASB

I'm still rolling with this setup but haven't posted recently as I'm up in the mountains. This morning I had the best shave of my life. Cool rainwater, a palm-stropped, self-honed blade and deep mindfulness.

I'm finding that two passes is more than enough and I could probably get away with one and a little bit of cleaning up.

Later in the day in went into town and bought a skull sized block of alum, 100 Feathers and a few other choice odds & ends.

Pre-Shave Proraso Green Pre-shave
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap Shaver Heaven Arctic Mango (thanks to @Osman)
Razor Ikon #102 Slant
Blade Permasharp
Post Shave Proraso Green Pre-shave
Aftershave Myrsol F./Extra

While not stinking hot it is still warm enough down here to appreciate Menthol!

The Proraso Green pre-shave pairs really nicely with the Arctic Mango and helps boost the coolth a little.
The Ikon #102 wipes the whiskers away with ease.
Following up with the F./Extra and I'm ready to face the day

Status
Not open for further replies.