Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each of your theories is sound, they make complete sense and yet the reality is that the plastic razors can give a superb shave. I argued with @Pjotr but the proof - in my case - is in the pudding.
I hear what you're saying and essentially said this right off the bat as for you there's no stronger proof than the actual results that you actually got. Hence I was trying to examine it from a more logical-broader perspective - as like I said I really do just think it's more a case of it being a superior fit for your specific needs, than it actually being a superior razor. And I hope you know I mean this with absolutely zero negativity towards either you or the razor. :)

1. geometry - the Merkur #45 bends the blade like no other razor - well except a rare few like the Progress and the Razorock Slants. It is quite extreme. This seems to help with angles and the approach might account for the close shave. Likewise the geometry of the Souplex is quite aggressive. There is quite a gap between the blade and the bottom plate. I have read elsewhere this morning that folks find the shave from the Double Six aggressive and rough. Well I certainly agree with the former and maybe the sharpness of the Feather is cloaking the latter.
Hmmmmm call me dubious but and please understand I'm talking about in general not just solely for yourself - but if Merkur's design of the #45 was so different, which I'll take your work for having not seen one first hand. And Merkur tested it with several folks, which I'd say is a pretty safe assumption - surely if they found it a superior design to their current metal head geometry they'd have used it? I mean thats essentially a given.

So I really don't think it can be a superior geometry - but again it's 100% plausible and likely that it's one that works very well for yourself and PJ.

2. weight - yes the bakelite are far lighter than any metal razors. Please don't think this permits pressure. It certainly invites it and in some places you can get away with it, but it's not the norm. However, I feel a greater degree of control of pressure with the lighter plastics - this is especially the case for the ATG passes where the weight of metal razors diminishes. Actually as I think out loud, yes the plastics do offer more control with the ATG pass. This might help reduce irritation.
My point was that with the bakelite (which I believe is actually not bakelite but plastic but I know it's just a name) the user has to apply the pressure as I cannot imagine you can hold it by the tip of the handle and it's weight alone is enough to with gravity's aid overcome the friction/resistance and cut through the hair in a stroke. So this is contrary to the one of the core starting principles with using a safety razor, that being to let the razor's weight do all the work (or atleast as much of it as possible).

More control? You could be right however I'm not sure that the weight of many razors is such that the average user would lose any real weight over them due to it - e.g obviously if taken to an extreme and you had a 1kg razor you'd lose a massive amount of control and it'd be a huge factor but there'd be a point at which the average user would find less weight to have no effect on their control.

Makes you think about the difference in material - esp. between metals. For example, the Standard is a damn fine razor, so smooth and so efficient. Yet it's aluminium chassis finds it half the weight of the Weber. Same with the aluminium of some slants such as the Razorrock or the iKon #102. So heavier doesn't seem to equate with better. Obvious the fit, finish and shave of the aluminium Standard is superior to many heavier zumak DEs. BY extension the same might be said for the difference between heavier zumak and lightweight plastic. I'd contend many of us would prefer a plastic Merkur #45 over a mostly-metal Micro-Touch One.
;)
Ah mate comparing completely different razors made of completely different materials and drawing anything from it is the veritable definition of comparing apples with oranges and I didn't for one second contend that heavier is better. That'd have been a massively simplistic comment that wouldn't pass even the most elementary of checks.

I didn't mean to turn this into a overly complex or silly discussion. First, I was happy you'd gotten such good shaves - haha I should be so lucky as to find my dream razor and it happens to be so cost effective.

But I was just trying to logically establish what, if any advantages plastic razors might have which could explain this and possibly mean it's more than just them being a great match for you and PJ. Nothing more or less. Anyway glad you're getting great shaves and appreciate the feedback as it's very interesting. :)

Ah well if you feel a warm buzz from a sense of accomplishment via a masterful and deft straight razor shave we can only begin to imagine the exhilaration a youthful @gthomas04 felt when he completed his first 3 pass shave with his trusty Obsidian flint razor!!!
141013knappingDSC_0686.JPG

Woooo mumma he'd have wanted to get a nice lather with the old Mammoth Silvertip to carry off that final ATG pass! It's a doozy! Now thats a sense of accomplishment.

PS. @gthomas04 , I'm sorry as I know these very lame gags must get a bit old after a while.:sleep:
PPS. Eh, eh you see what I did there....!!! ;)

@Nick the Knife

As much as I like the challenge and would like to try the flint at least once (just to go there and get the T-shirt - if I don't bleed to death I may actually even get to wear the T) I am more into the nostalgia of old-school shaving. Similar to the comments when that video was posted recently of somebody using a DE blade on a bolt to shave, there is a certain amount of eccentricity (make that just plain crazy) shaving that way just to prove a point. But for all my nostalgic bent, I guess I would like to try the Obsidian flint ... ... ... just for the T-shirt with "Yep, I'm Crazy Enough" on the back. I jut know that (providing I didn't die from blood loss) I would keep at it till I got there. Determined? Stupid? Or just plain crazy. Yep, yep. I thought you'd say that.

I hear what you're saying and essentially said this right off the bat as for you there's no stronger proof than the actual results that you actually got. Hence I was trying to examine it from a more logical-broader perspective - as like I said I really do just think it's more a case of it being a superior fit for your specific needs, than it actually being a superior razor. And I hope you know I mean this with absolutely zero negativity towards either you or the razor. :)

Hmmmmm call me dubious but and please understand I'm talking about in general not just solely for yourself - but if Merkur's design of the #45 was so different, which I'll take your work for having not seen one first hand. And Merkur tested it with several folks, which I'd say is a pretty safe assumption - surely if they found it a superior design to their current metal head geometry they'd have used it? I mean thats essentially a given.

So I really don't think it can be a superior geometry - but again it's 100% plausible and likely that it's one that works very well for yourself and PJ.

My point was that with the bakelite (which I believe is actually not bakelite but plastic but I know it's just a name) the user has to apply the pressure as I cannot imagine you can hold it by the tip of the handle and it's weight alone is enough to with gravity's aid overcome the friction/resistance and cut through the hair in a stroke. So this is contrary to the one of the core starting principles with using a safety razor, that being to let the razor's weight do all the work (or atleast as much of it as possible).

More control? You could be right however I'm not sure that the weight of many razors is such that the average user would lose any real weight over them due to it - e.g obviously if taken to an extreme and you had a 1kg razor you'd lose a massive amount of control and it'd be a huge factor but there'd be a point at which the average user would find less weight to have no effect on their control.

;)
Ah mate comparing completely different razors made of completely different materials and drawing anything from it is the veritable definition of comparing apples with oranges and I didn't for one second contend that heavier is better. That'd have been a massively simplistic comment that wouldn't pass even the most elementary of checks.

I didn't mean to turn this into a overly complex or silly discussion. First, I was happy you'd gotten such good shaves - haha I should be so lucky as to find my dream razor and it happens to be so cost effective.

But I was just trying to logically establish what, if any advantages plastic razors might have which could explain this and possibly mean it's more than just them being a great match for you and PJ. Nothing more or less. Anyway glad you're getting great shaves and appreciate the feedback as it's very interesting. :)

Mate I really appreciate your thoughts here they've certainly got my cogs going up a gear....yep, that's what that acrid burning smell is....sorry. Very timely too as from Monday I'm kicking off Vintage-Shave-a-Week. I'll have six all-metal vintage razors that I will use one per week cycling through the same retinue of software to see how they compare. These include (and @Mark1966 please tell me if I have misrepresented any of the first five):
  • American Button Company (ABC) Pocket
  • Barbasol Floating Head
  • Gillette Big Fellow - OC Old Type
  • Gillette NEW De Luxe Big Boy
  • Gillette Popular - OC-TTO
  • Gillette NEW SC
First five thanks to @Mark1966 and last one thanks to @Lifes a Peach .

Looking forward to posting here on the SOTD

@Nick the Knife

As much as I like the challenge and would like to try the flint at least once (just to go there and get the T-shirt - if I don't bleed to death I may actually even get to wear the T) I am more into the nostalgia of old-school shaving. Similar to the comments when that video was posted recently of somebody using a DE blade on a bolt to shave, there is a certain amount of eccentricity (make that just plain crazy) shaving that way just to prove a point. But for all my nostalgic bent, I guess I would like to try the Obsidian flint ... ... ... just for the T-shirt with "Yep, I'm Crazy Enough" on the back. I jut know that (providing I didn't die from blood loss) I would keep at it till I got there. Determined? Stupid? Or just plain crazy. Yep, yep. I thought you'd say that.
Ah Dale - well you see the thing is shaving with obsidian flint is actually (and alarmingly!) a reasonably well trodden path! Plenty of other ones there along the same lines.

So I like your line of thought but you're going to have to step it up a notch or two to get that real wow factor and the whole T-shirt thing going. That said I've really no idea what that exactly would entail - haha and based on your recent battles with your nemesis, the evil Dr C.Ling-Phan - I'd suggest you don't give it too much thought either haha as we like having you around these here parts!

Ah Dale - well you see the thing is shaving with obsidian flint is actually (and alarmingly!) a reasonably well trodden path! Plenty of other ones there along the same lines.

based on your recent battles with your nemesis, the evil Dr C.Ling-Phan - I'd suggest you don't give it too much thought either haha as we like having you around these here parts!

I saw my first YouTube of the obsidian around 12 months ago when I was contemplating the whole straights thing. I figured if that bloke could shave with a rock and get an OK shave (with a few nicks) I could definitely use a tool specifically designed for the purpose. Obsidian is old news now I agree, but I've gotta give it a go one day ... ... ... if I can figure how to put a decent handle on a bit of rock to prevent more hand injuries injuries before I even get it to my face. The evil Dr C.Ling Phan (sounds like a 007 movie - could be money in this) causes enough problems in my life. Thank goodness I'm not 6'10" or the Doctor (my nemesis) would be gloating with that evil laugh still.

The word SPUD is officially a thing of the past. We're actually discussing plastic/bakelite razors. Seriously too. I'm a little bit emotional. In my view it's the light weight and also the thick/wide comb.

3 days of shaving condensed into 1 review

Pre-shave: Edwin Jagger Pre-Shave cream x 3 days
Brush: Semogue Mistura, Artisania Romera Manchurian Badger
Soap/Cream: Soap Commander "Courage", Cold River Soap Works Classic "Barbershop", Maggards "Fougere Sauvage"
Razor: Merkur 34C x 3 days
Blade: Gillette Platinum x 3 days
After-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel (Rose) / Alt Innsbruk, Captains Choice North, Captains Choice Sandalwood

A continuation of trialling the EJ Pre-Shave cream plus some soaps making their debut.

Every shave was very, very close and very, very smooth. My blade of choice for the past year has always been the Med Prep but this Gillette Platinum is so sharp and very forgiving. No friction or tugging of any kind. Cut through my tough stubble with ease. The application of EJ feels like its making a difference to my shave. A minute or two after application and my beard felt a little softer. A big downside is the menthol overpowers the scent of the soaps.

All 3 soaps were new to me. Never tried these brands before. I was most impressed with Soap Commander. Awesome lather and glide. Applied to my face like a shave stick. Might be right up there with the best artisan soaps coming out of the States. The CRSW produced a good lather but it wasn't particularly slick. More experimentation with water/soap ratio is needed here. The Maggards was a challenge to lather as it's hardish soap that was stuffed into a sample pot. I had to scoop some out and lather in a bowl. The lather was thin but the glide was very good. Will probably scoop out the entire soap and press it into a bowl or apply directly to my face.

Overall it was a pleasing 3 days of very close and smooth shaving.

Look at the point on that square blade! Mark if you started with that thing you wouldn't want to sneeze or you'd end up with three nostrils or one ear

Yeah but how cool would teh story be?

'The ear?'

'Oh yeah, did that with my mammoth bone Damascus steel straight razor'

'Here, I will show it to you'

Not THAT would be street cred right there!

... I'll have six all-metal vintage razors that I will use one per week cycling through the same retinue of software to see how they compare.....

Looking forward to posting here on the SOTD

Looking forward to the reviews!

Catch up again in 7 weeks time then :)

Yeah but how cool would teh story be?
'The ear?'

'Oh yeah, did that with my mammoth bone Damascus steel straight razor'

'Here, I will show it to you'

Not THAT would be street cred right there!

Might go more like

"The beer? Oh yeah I… what sorry? Oh it's true I got plenty of gear I .. huh… what's wrong with my rear?"

Sunday 8 February 2015

192854d1423407213-sun-february-08th-sat-february-14th-sotd-08022015.jpg

Mastro Livi CarboInox, 6/8 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch

Still on the road and still having the immense pleasure of shaving with this Mastro Livi CarboInox straight razor. I like everything about this razor: the blade is simply stunning with its two steels and the blue colored damascus steel, cocobolo scales are just beautiful, the combination of light and dark colors is amazing. A splash of my Bay Rum aftershave, for a refreshing and spicy shave!​
  • Pre-Shave: Roberts Distilled Rose Water
  • Soap: Aquagena Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Optim'Hom Synthetic J082
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi CarboInox, 6/8 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

Razor > Wilkinson Sword Classic
Blade > Wilkinson Super Sword Edge @ 9
Cream > Nivea Sensitive Skin
A.F > Aqua Velva Ice Sport

For my final shave with that blade, I did a "Grand Sunday Shave" with 2x WTG, 2x XTG and a single ATG. The first WTG was a bit tuggy but nothing unusual for a tired blade dealing with a 3 days regrowth, the XTGs were smooth & so was the ATG. The result was a nick free BSS with an excellent aftershave feedback.

UFeiREYt.jpg

Last edited:
R41 - Personna (2)
Straw Broom
Strop Shoppe London Morning
B&M Original Aftershave

I'm thinking pre shave prep makes a big difference. Yesterday morning I had a hot shower etc and the new Personna was a very smooth blade. This morning no prep, and it was not as smooth. Still a great shave in two passes.

The R41 sets the benchmark for how smooth new australian babies posteriors should actually be.

I'm thinking pre shave prep makes a big difference.
Pre-shave prep is almost certainly the single biggest difference maker. If nothing else a washer/small towel with hot water on it drapped over your main shave area(chin/neck) for around 2mins - barbers did it for hundreds of years without changing the routine for a reason.

I know sometimes one'll just be in a rush but lazy/absent prep is the main/only reason I think pre-shave soaps can help or really any glycerine rich substance to assist glide. If rushed I'll use a sorbolene, @Dale.Whiley has had good success with a generic Vit.E cream. Only thing is I find applying these means you're better off bowl lathering lest you work the vast majority of it off if you face lather - well thats the theory anyway. :)
---------
Merkur 37c
Gillette Super Platinum (Blacks) (1)
Plisson Synth (aka The Rotation Buster)
CRSW Classic Savon #1

My least fave CRSW scent but I think as a group they've nudged in from of my Mike's as preferred soaps. Much better lather, much less loading, better scents, marginally lesser glide, marginally inferior post shave. So overall a split points decision their way.

Huge improvement going to the Gillette Super Plat after several days forcing shaves with the Rapira SSS/PL. Different razor but the 37c is a much harder critic on crap blades and it shone. Got to be careful with an ATG under the neck though - the 37c and I have never completely seen eye to eye on that.

All 3 soaps were new to me. Never tried these brands before. I was most impressed with Soap Commander. Awesome lather and glide. Applied to my face like a shave stick. Might be right up there with the best artisan soaps coming out of the States. The CRSW produced a good lather but it wasn't particularly slick. More experimentation with water/soap ratio is needed here. The Maggards was a challenge to lather as it's hardish soap that was stuffed into a sample pot. I had to scoop some out and lather in a bowl. The lather was thin but the glide was very good. Will probably scoop out the entire soap and press it into a bowl or apply directly to my face.
With samples, Maggards and others say the best thing to do is to take it out of the little pot and smoosh it into a tin/mug/bowl.

Re: CRSW soaps. You can no longer get any of the "Classic" line. Larry only sells the "Select" line (US$25 each) now. He says that he only wants to sell what's best for the shaver. So that means it's only the "Select" line going forward from here.

Razor: Pureman Proto OC
Blade:
Spoiler (2)
Brush:
Plisson Synth
Soap/Cream: Proraso Red, Tube (first use of this one)
After-shave: Rubdown with Alum, 30sec hold then towel off

Good shave today, damn I have missed this razor. Enjoying having it back although the angle was out a little today.

Plisson Synth goes from strength to strength. If you can pick them up at the $30 mark then you are almost crazy to buy any other brush. If someone asks me what they should get in a starter kit, the Plisson is going to be listed over a $15 Omega Boar.

Re: CRSW soaps. You can no longer get any of the "Classic" line. Larry only sells the "Select" line (US$25 each) now. He says that he only wants to sell what's best for the shaver. So that means it's only the "Select" line going forward from here.

Interesting - though the Select line seems exxy at $25 a pop it's 6oz vs 4oz that the Classic/Original were - and when you factor that onto the prices it's only marginally more expensive by weight but looks a significantly superior product. So prolly a good thing for vendor and buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.