Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Monsta_AU It's back up to $100 locally now though isn't it?

Unfortunately it has reverted back to $100. This probably dispels the rumour that Plisson have stopped making them. Still $US30 in the States but good luck getting them here unless you have family or friends coming over for a holiday.

They aren't even listed on the US website any more.

Pre-shave prep is almost certainly the single biggest difference maker. If nothing else a washer/small towel with hot water on it drapped over your main shave area(chin/neck) for around 2mins - barbers did it for hundreds of years without changing the routine for a reason.

I know sometimes one'll just be in a rush but lazy/absent prep is the main/only reason I think pre-shave soaps can help or really any glycerine rich substance to assist glide. If rushed I'll use a sorbolene, @Dale.Whiley has had good success with a generic Vit.E cream. Only thing is I find applying these means you're better off bowl lathering lest you work the vast majority of it off if you face lather - well thats the theory anyway. :)
---------
Merkur 37c
Gillette Super Platinum (Blacks) (1)
Plisson Synth (aka The Rotation Buster)
CRSW Classic Savon #1

My least fave CRSW scent but I think as a group they've nudged in from of my Mike's as preferred soaps. Much better lather, much less loading, better scents, marginally lesser glide, marginally inferior post shave. So overall a split points decision their way.

Huge improvement going to the Gillette Super Plat after several days forcing shaves with the Rapira SSS/PL. Different razor but the 37c is a much harder critic on crap blades and it shone. Got to be careful with an ATG under the neck though - the 37c and I have never completely seen eye to eye on that.
Last night (straight) & this morning (DE) I used extra virgin olive oil direct from the pantry. Works well and after the initial sear my wife just flipped me so my other side would cook. Seriously though, just rub it in to your whiskers and let it soak while you strop, get your badger soaking, soaps laid out etc. and it really works well. Did I mention how slick it was? Oils ain't oils Sol.

The scent is not real pleasant but I will add a bit of hand soap or aromatic oil later in the week to improve this. Olive oil is a goer though. Better than Vitamin E cream.

Part 2 of my pre-shave experiment: while last shave was no pre-shave at all, just face lathered on my dry face, today I simulated washing my face twice with soap, but didn't use any soap - only cold water.

Else I used exactly the same equipment (RR SS V1, vie-long horse, stirling coniferous and voskhod blade).

Result: don't know if there was any real difference, maybe a tiny bit less uncomfortable? But not really and while still an irritation free shave, alum did sting at the end considerably.

My conclusion: the least amount of pre-shave routine that you need is best for your shave. For me that's a splash if cold water, twice washing with my pre-shave soap and face lather with warm lather.

My pre-shave treatment consists of face-lathering in cold(ish) water.

If you never lather GT, why have you been buying up all the shave creams recently?

Brush: Erskine butterscotch TGN Finest reknot
Soap/Cream: Occams
Razor: American Button Company (ABC) Pocket
Blade: Polsilver
After-shave: Speick

What a beautiful razor this is - thanks to @Mark1966 for the loan. All tolled the ABC Pocket is so small and yet with more heft than its fine lines betray. Shave was smooth for the first pass but the subsequent passes got scratchier. Might have been down to the Polsilver though if I recall correctly these were quite smooth. But maybe I've gone and gotten used to the Feathers.

I had forgotten just how good Occams is. Fantastic stuff!

.....Shave was smooth for the first pass but the subsequent passes got scratchier. Might have been down to the Polsilver though if I recall correctly these were quite smooth...

My guess is that the shaves will improve as you get more used to this razor - quite a different balance and feel to others and the Old Type head can be unforgiving.

Brush: Plisson L'Occy
Soap/Cream: Mikes Orange, Cedarwood, and Black Pepper
Razor: Mongoose SE
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild SE
After-shave: Pinaud Clubman

The Mongoose is alive and well after the defective top plate was replaced earlier in the new year. Mongoose Razors were superb with their customer service and went above and beyond to keep me a happy camper. The shave went fine despite the awkwardness of the heft and wide cutting edge. It looks quite menacing but the shave proved to be mild and uneventful. The Mongoose thread will be updated once I have put in the hard yards and properly assessed this beast.

One key aspect of the shave that I learned today is the staying power of Pinaud Clubman. Despite a sweaty 44km round trip bike ride to and from the office, and 2 showers, the distinct smell of talcum is still filling the air. Amazing stuff.

Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap/Cream: Jabonman Brisa de Oriente
Razor: American Button Company (ABC) Pocket
Blade: Feather
After-shave: Captains Choice Lime & Jabonman Vanilla-Cinnamon AS Milk

I take back anything negative I've ever said about Feather blades in the past. Today's shave was much improved over yesterday. Granted I'd be a little more familiar with the ABC Pocket, granted the Jabonman is a great soap, but the greater sharpness was very obvious and led to better smoothness. A great shave indeed.

Brush: Frank Shaving badger
Soap/Cream: Jabonman Limo Intensa
Razor: Razorock Stealth Slant (massive thanks to @Lifes a Peach)
Blade: Personna Super/Blue [1]
After-shave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Ahh, a 2 day growth disappears. I feel normal again. I'm holding back on posting my thoughts on the RRSS until I notch a few more shaves up.

Brush: Frank Shaving badger
Soap/Cream: Jabonman Limo Intensa
Razor: Razorock Stealth Slant (massive thanks to @Lifes a Peach)
Blade: Personna Super/Blue [1]
After-shave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Ahh, a 2 day growth disappears. I feel normal again. I'm holding back on posting my thoughts on the RRSS until I notch a few more shaves up.

Watching your next few SOTDs very keenly Filo. I'd not given the RRSS a second thought until I fell under the spell of the Merkur #45...and I am struck by the similarities in the geometry of their heads. Mighty nice of @Lifes a Peach I gotta say.

Couldn't help having an afternoon shave with the Muhle, after a disappointing morning with the straight.

Especially since Filo's Dr Jon samples turned up!

R41 Personna (3)
Straw Broom
Dr Jon Original

The Dr Jon is a very soft soap along the lines of Nannys. The original reminded me of TMBR with those spices. I really thought the scent was great, a little less pronounced when lathering. The marketing is bold, and the scent is bold! After mostly using my Strop Shoppe soaps the last few weeks it might have seemed more pronounced. The Strop Shoppe gear is pretty understated scent wise.

The lather was very creamy and thick, maybe I overloaded. I found the TMBR a bit on the thin side but this was really smooth and comfortable. It must be fairly moisturising too, face felt great afterwards. It was a pretty thirsty soap, but built up beautifully.

Having a look on the website its US 20 postage to Australia whether you order one sample pot of half a dozen, so you'd want to like the stuff.

I'll look forward to trying the Big Green ugly Scary Monster in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.