Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't help having an afternoon shave with the Muhle, after a disappointing morning with the straight.

Especially since Filo's Dr Jon samples turned up!

R41 Personna (3)
Straw Broom
Dr Jon Original

The Dr Jon is a very soft soap along the lines of Nannys. The original reminded me of TMBR with those spices. I really thought the scent was great, a little less pronounced when lathering. The marketing is bold, and the scent is bold! After mostly using my Strop Shoppe soaps the last few weeks it might have seemed more pronounced. The Strop Shoppe gear is pretty understated scent wise.

The lather was very creamy and thick, maybe I overloaded. I found the TMBR a bit on the thin side but this was really smooth and comfortable. It must be fairly moisturising too, face felt great afterwards. It was a pretty thirsty soap, but built up beautifully.

Having a look on the website its US 20 postage to Australia whether you order one sample pot of half a dozen, so you'd want to like the stuff.

I'll look forward to trying the Big Green ugly Scary Monster in the morning.
We should start a new thread for the Dr Jon's soaps... (I'll get to it unless someone beats me to it.) We need to post up pics...

There is currently 10% off all Dr Jon's soaps during Feb. In addition, they will donate 10% of the sale in Feb towards the Humane Society (like our RSPCA I believe).

You could use a mail forwarder... [emoji11]

No menthol one that I coud find.

Hmm after NtK experience mail forwarders might not be worth the $10 they'd save..?

R41 Personna (4)
Straw Broom
Dr Jon - Big Green Monster
Jermyn St balm

The performance was top notch like the original, and the scent very green. Basil and Peppermint dominate, and the lime adds a little zest. As Dr Jons scents are bold it was a bit powerful in the basil department for me, I think I prefer the original. I would assume that all the soaps in his line are the same recipe with different scents, as the lather was just as good as the original. Face felt good afterwards. - Thanks again Filobiblic!

I'm impressed with how easy this is to lather, it just builds up as easy as a janga tower, if you like soft soaps I would seriously consider this company. I really like that he sells 2 oz (60ml) or 4oz (120ml) tins. Marketing the smaller ones as sample/travel. That works for me. It's about half price too, for half the amount - lots of companies really sting you for smaller offerings.

Now anyone got Hydra or Hex? Insert thoughts here :)

Now anyone got Hydra or Hex? Insert thoughts here :)
I've also got Hex and Ann Bonny (Bay Run with Black tea). [emoji6] He now has a few other offerings including a peach and Aphrodite.

16308116058_c2185b720a_z.jpg

Nice scent and slickness. The weber was, as always, a pleasure to use.

Razor: Pureman Proto OC
Blade:
Spoiler (3)
Brush:
Plisson Synth
Soap/Cream: Proraso Green
After-shave: None

The Plisson was dripping and spraying water around a but during that shave as I am experimenting with how much I shake out. Obviously not quite enough today.

Otherwise great shave, put a smile on my face.

2nd last shave in Bali - back to heaven again with usual setup, Occam's pre-shave and Gillette Goal blades.

Home after Bali, or onwards to some other exotic destination?

Home after Bali, or onwards to some other exotic destination?
Unfortunately that's it for now. Last 2 days in Sanur...and I fear I will have to sell some of my gear for outrageous prices first thing when I'm back - too many cool new items ;)

Brush: Thater 49125
Soap/Cream: Kent cream
Razor: American Button Company (ABC) Pocket
Blade: Feather
After-shave: Proraso Green lotion

The Kent cream performed impeccably - from lathering to shave protection, glide and post-shave face feel. Top stuff!!!! Love the menthol - not eye-burningly there but nice and cold. Love this stuff - thanks @Nightguard (y)

The ABC is getting better. I'm finding the very slim low-profile head very zippy on the face. Under nose and chin are a breeze. Finding it a little less close than the Fatip but it just means another pass.

The ABC is getting better. I'm finding the very slim low-profile head very zippy on the face. Under nose and chin are a breeze. Finding it a little less close than the Fatip but it just means another pass.

I think @Pjotr uses his for this area

Wednesday 11 February 2015

193113d1423652058-sun-february-08th-sat-february-14th-sotd-11022015.jpg

Mastro Livi Ladder Damasteel, 6/8 Full Hollow, French Point

Yet another impeccable shave. In my opinion, Damasteel is one of the most aggressive steels used by Mastro Livi for the making of his straight razors, and this is something I generally like. Not to mention the pleasure of Floïd aftershave, in my opinion one of the very best around. I also like the fragrance of "The Genuine" - also known as the amber colored Italian Floïd - not just a smell of old barber shops, but also a smell I consider both elegant and fragrant. Last but not the least, the pleasing almond scent of TFS soap, simply reinforcing the idea of an old Italian barber shop.​
  • Pre-Shave: Roberts Distilled Rose Water
  • Soap: Tcheon Fung Sing Barbe Rosse
  • Brush: Omega Bristle 10275
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Ladder Damasteel, 6/8 Full Hollow, French Point
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd The Genuine

Brush: Plisson L'Occy
Soap/Cream: Nancy Boy Blossomwood
Razor: Mongoose SE
Blade: Kai Captain Mild (6)
After-shave: Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood

First time Nancy Boy. The scent was medicinal and a bit ho hum. Slickness very average. I wouldn't recommend it.
Kai blades holding up really well after 6 shaves.

How good is Ogallala? Smells so sweet with a touch of spice. Face feeling soft and smoothy (y)

620. She's a beauty.
Coincidence St Valentines day around the corner and Smoggie love in the open ?
I think knot :)
Brush: SOC Cherrywood boar
Soap/Cream: RaxoRock XXX sample
Razor: Vintage Gillette OC
Blade: Vintage
After-shave: Astringent - piece of alum from a broken roll on deodorant style stick
Balm - 444 (and yes, I use it in the same fashion as a balm)
A/S - Thayers spiked with menthol crystals
Despite double spiking, still not enough menthol kick, will add more crystals to the A/S after decanting a sample for a member here.

Status
Not open for further replies.