Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brush: Vulfix 2233
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Polsilver (3)
Cream: Castle Forbes Lavender
A/S: Captain's Choice Bay Rum

I always seem to forget just how nice the lather from Castle Forbes is. Works up very quickly to a nice dense, cushioning and slick lather. And the scent is just divine, smells just like lavender with a very slight hint of vetiver. Now I need to find a matching A/S splash.
The Polsilver could be made for the Weber, barely even felt the razor but a perfect, irritation free shave was had.
...and your thoughts on the Captains Choice Bay Rum?

How fitting for today. [emoji51]
Teakwood and Cardamon. What's it similar to? (Or is it fairly unique as a scent?)

You can also grate it and press it down into your bowl. That would possibly be easier.

The other option if you prefer to face lather is simply to wet your face and rub the stick over your face. Then you directly face lather it.

Yep - I normally use them as travel sticks @Dale.Whiley and apply directly to my face

Here it is -

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Penhaligon's English Fern (old formula)
Razor: Gillette Slim (6)
Blade: NOS vintage English Wilkinson Sword (1)
After-shave: Old Spice
Cologne: Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac

I really should have gone all British - failed there - with the Slim and Old Spice.

Is the Pen's worth it? Good question.

The scent is certainly amazing. I asked my wife about it and she said it was very English. Certainly powerful, yet also subtle. Well crafted.

I'm loathe to reach a conclusion after one use, but it was certainly very easy to lather (the pic was at the conclusion of the shave after 2 1/2 passes) and produced copious amounts of rich, creamy lather with good glide and slickness - but we are getting used to that around here. It is undoubtedly a world class soap, top shelf, but that shelf is getting crowded.

Worth the unobtanium premium? Not sure yet - you can be the judge yourself when the PCTB3 goes around later this year though!

Last edited:

but it was certainly very easy to lather (the pic was at the conclusion of the shave after 2 1/2 passes) and produced copious amounts of rich, creamy lather with good glide and slickness - but we are getting used to that around here.

Mark was the lather thick and slick - as it looks quite aerated (bubbly...not my fave normally) here?

How fitting for today. [emoji51]
Teakwood and Cardamon. What's it similar to? (Or is it fairly unique as a scent?)
Yes, very unique it's like nothing I have come across. It's very spicy and sweet maybe even similar to a old spice smell. The AS balm is the same smell but with menthol. It's not displesant but I do wish I purchased a different scent sometimes.

Mark was the lather thick and slick - as it looks quite aerated (bubbly...not my fave normally) here?

Yeah - this is the dregs AFTER the shave was done where I was trying to be artistic and get 'the shot'. Notice that there is no lather on the 'English Fern' stamp in the middle of the soap. The pic is illustrative not realistic! I basically forgot about taking one till half way though the shave and constructed this shot at the end.

Yeah - this is the dregs AFTER the shave was done where I was trying to be artistic and get 'the shot'. Notice that there is no lather on the 'English Fern' stamp in the middle of the soap. The pic is illustrative not realistic! I basically forgot about taking one till half way though the shave and constructed this shot at the end.
Thanks Mark. Nice shot....though I'd have suggested some fill flash :LOL: (don't worry fellas an inside joke)

Gillette Slim (6 & 3)
Gillette Super Platinum (4?)
Stirling Soap Co. Sharp Dressed Man
Plisson Synth

Thought in no great order - #6 on the Slim certainly is the 'sweet spot'. The Super Plats (black) are very nice blades, slight dropping off at at 4th shave now but definitely on the same tier/discussion as the best in production blades available.

This was my first use of ANY Stirling product and with 8 of them just arrived I'd a reasonably amount of trepidation as several other members had commented on find them quite mediocre. Very soft soap so shook most water out of the Plisson before loading quite miserly. I won't go too much into the soap here (will keep that for the Stirling thread) but it gave perhaps the slickest lather I've ever used and was very pleasant to shave with. The scent whilst 'cologne' oriented was likewise very pleasant. Definitely exceeded my expectations, though I can see that I could be a tricky one for some people to lather and would hate to try and use a boar on it. Suffice to say the Plisson was specifically used so the Stirling had NO EXCUSES, and none were needed.

Thanks Mark. Nice shot....though I'd have suggested some fill flash :LOL: (don't worry fellas an inside joke)

I'm not taking the DSLR, tripod and flash kits into the bathroom! Strictly iphone snaps - and even THAT feels a little weird!

(you are right though, and composition not perfect either, was struggling to get the brush to sit right on the soap and not obscure the stamp...)

AND THE WINNER IS:
20150215_SOTDS_zpsr0in9klo.jpg

Brush: Whipped Dog Silvertip 24/48
Soap: Mike's Lemongrass and Eucalyptus
Razor: Above the Tie R1 plate with Kronos handle
Blade: Voskhod
After-shave: Alum, Thayers Lavender Alcohol free Witch Hazel

It took me till very late today in the afternoon to finally have the time I wanted for my first shave at home after 2 1/2 months...and boy am I happy now!

The WD silvertip is a truly fantastic brush - especially in this price range. I had the Plisson out, but needed to go with something known and tested. The lather was PERFECT and the face lathering very luxurious.

Which brings me to Mike's: I was really missing my Mike's soap during my travel and asked myself many times if I should have taken some Mike's instead of the Stirling soap. I must say I was a tiny bit disappointed - yes I admit it. Stirling provides the slicker lather - there I said it. I know I usually can't decide between the 2 - and sitting here with my Mike's post-shave feel, I again can't decide between the two. But during the shave I somehow missed the Stirling slickness....

I know, different water, different brush etc. being used to one product for such a long time...tomorrow is another day - but I have to say it again and again: both Mike's and Stirling are truly FANTASTIC soaps and I am very glad, that I don't have to choose between them.

The razor was definitely a huge change from the RRSS I got so used to. I had both the Weber and the ATT out, had them both in my hands and had a really long think...actually I didn't think longer than 3 sec. - the ATT is simply more beautiful and so perfectly balanced. I know I am going to shave with the Weber again and I know I am going to enjoy it - but today was ATT day. I really took my time and the razor did not dissapoint.

Of course it was more work than with the slant, but then I am sitting here for the first time in more than 2 months with truly BBS face everywhere - a very happy man.

Brush: Plisson synth
Soap/Cream: Nanny's Silly Soap Bamboo and White Grape with Goats Milk
Razor: PH Weber
Blade: Feather [1]
After-shave: Myrsol Formula C Violets

Sunday 15 February 2015

193478d1424005444-sun-february-15th-sat-february-21st-sotd-15022015.jpg

Mastro Livi, 8/8 Full Hollow, Livi Point

Superb razor! Deep, effective and very keen, this Mastro Livi straight razor fulfilled all of my expectations providing a very comfortable and magnificent shave. I like aggressive straight razors and this RWL34 just proves all the good things that can be said about Mastro Livi razors made from this stainless steel. Not to mention how I like the scales: the bi-colored amboyna burl really make this razor both elegant and beautiful to see. I am very happy with my new Mastro Livi straight razor!​
  • Pre-Shave: Myrsol Emulsión
  • Soap: Mystic Water Violetta di Bosco
  • Brush: Mühle Modern 281 H 23, Fine Badger, Pine - 21 mm - Size M
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi, 8/8 Full Hollow, Livi Point
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Pinaud Clubman

Brush: Plisson Synthetic
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Polsilver (4)
Cream: Ingrams
A/S: Captain's Choice Limes

Great shave as always with Ingrams. The menthol was just the thing for my very sunburnt face.,

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Penhaligon's English Fern (old formula)
Razor: Gillette Slim (6)
Blade: NOS vintage English Wilkinson Sword (2)
After-shave: SIM balm

Second shave with the Pen's English Fern.

As I said above - certainly top shelf BUT that shelf is getting crowded.

It is a great soap and in the absence of the current breed of artisans I can understand the love for it. Might give my P.160 a run tomorrow and see how they compare.

Brush: Plisson synth
Soap/Cream: Nanny's Silly Soap Bamboo and White Grape with Goats Milk
Razor: PH Weber
Blade: Feather [1]
After-shave: Myrsol Formula C Violets

How'd you like the Nannys Phil?

Confession time - this should really be in the "Shave of 2 days ago" but as there isn't such a forum I will have to post here.

I reached into my lucky dip container of samples and retrieved one called OGBT - wow thought I, I have finally reached the shaving level of the Gods - my very own sample of OGBT.
Went through the usual prep - wet the face and carefully opened my prize. Applied directly to the face and lathered away. OGBT goodness all over my whiskers - I could feel them tingling in excitement.

Out came the Slim still with the same Slick Schick and off went the whiskers - laughing down the drain as they revelled in being covered in OGBT.

Good shave lather not bad but

But

Can someone tell what the hell OGBT stands for.

Status
Not open for further replies.