Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brush: Smog 1305
Soap/Cream: Jabonman Tierra Humeda
Razor: NEW SC (a la @Lifes a Peach )
Blade: PSS (2)
After-shave: Speick

Week two of my RAW (Razor-A-Week). This week I'm sporting the Gillette NEW Short Comb. What a beautiful razor to look at - shades of yellow gold and rose gold....gets my Mediterraean heart a pumpin'.

....in short this was a very enjoyable shave indeed. The PermaSharp Super and NEW SC seem to work so well together - very, very, very, very smooth. The Jabonman is just shaving mana. And I'm loving my 1305 now. Took 30+ shaves but now it is my go-to. Now all I need is a 620 and I am set....can afford to shed a couple of brushes in the process.

How'd you like the Nannys Phil?
Lovely scent - mild and fresh.
Lovely lather and nice post-shave.
Not the absolute top but not too shabby.
It's a keeper.

Can someone tell what the hell OGBT stands for.
Its a sample from @Nonick of the Nanny's Silly Soaps Old Grey Bristle Test. Which doesn't mean any more to you now does it?! [emoji14]

It was formerly called "Bergamot and Coriander" so I don't know why they changed the name!!!!

Brush: Frank Shaving badger
Soap/Cream: Soap Commander Wisdom: Peppermint & Lavender
Razor: PH Weber
Blade: Feather [2]
After-shave: Myrsol Formula K Peppermint

^^^^ wow - that 'Spoiler' is way cool!

Pre-shave: Proraso Pre-Shave cream
Brush: Artesania Romera Manchurian Finest
Soap/Cream: Jabonman - Brisa de Oriente (thanks @stillshunter)
Razor: Fatip Piccolo (on loan from Stillsy)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
After-shave: Ogallala Bay Rum - Lime and Peppercorns

My 3rd shave with the Fatip and my first with Jabonman.

The Fatip is an aggressive little beast but several cogs milder than a R41. It's everything I had imaged OC's to feel like when I first got into DE's. A lot of blade was felt as I mowed down my 3-day growth. No weepers or cuts, which quite surprised me. The size and weight, combined with a grippy handle made for easy maneuverability. One drawback for me was trying to keep the blade aligned - more blade exposure on one side compared to the other. Fiddled around with it for ages but no luck. It didn't appear to affect shave performance though. After 2 passes and my face felt quite smooth.

I botched up the Jabonman after a lazy attempt to load the soap from the sample pot. Not sure how to describe the scent but it was smashing.

Razor: Gillette Rocket Parat
Blade: Personna Super Platinum Chrome (late 90's)
Cream: Old Spice Original Made in India ''P&G Unscented reformulation : ( ''
A.F: Aqua Velva Ice Sport

2x WTG
1x XTG
2x ATG

Overall it was a close & comfortable shave, bite from the alum bloc on the left jaw, good feedback from the aftershave, Something between a DFS+ & a BSS-.

Brush: Simpsons Chubby 2 in Best
Soap/Cream: Soap Commander Wisdom: Peppermint & Lavender
Razor: PH Weber
Blade: Polsilver SI [5]
After-shave: Dickinson's Witch Hazel

Another day another ...

(notice the homemade label :))

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Penhaligon's English Fern (old formula)
Razor: Gillette Slim (6)
Blade: NOS vintage English Wilkinson Sword (2)
After-shave: Penhaligon's Opus 1870 balm
Cologne: Penhaligon's Opus 1870 EDT

Gillette Slim (6 & 3)
Gillette Platinum Dark Blue (Malty) (0)
Plisson Synth
Stirling Lemongrass & Cajeput (essentially Tea Tree oil)

The three known quantities performed as expected, though I don't think the Malty works quite as well in the Slim as several other razors, which somewhat surprised me. The Stirling soap really smells fantastic. I've had a sample of Mike's Lemongrass and Eucalyptus and found that it smelt a tad tired with the scent struggling to really punch through - NONE OF THOSE ISSUES HERE. It's really right on that great balance of having a massive punchy presence but doesn't overdo it. The scent was so good I moved the container over into our bedroom so that as it dried out overnight the great smell wouldn't be wasted.

Good shave, not quite as good as my first with a SSC soap 2 days ago but I believe these all have a common base formula so am 99% certain any lathering differences will be on me/other gear and not the soap. Highly recommend it to others as it's a great one for the hot Australian summers!

20150217_SOTDS_zpsz52y6wql.jpg

Brush:
WD 24/48 High Mountain
Soap: Mike's Bay Rum
Razor: ATT R1 Kronos
Blade: Voskhod [2]

Another fantastic shave.

Can't believe though, how different the 2 WD brushes I have are - this one has almost as much scrub as a boar, but without using any pressure. Still no scritch at all, so for all you boar lovers, this is a very cheap option to try out...

Brush: Erskine butterscotch TGN finest reknot
Soap/Cream: Wickham's Southsea Spray
Razor: NEW SC
Blade: PSS (3)
After-shave: Speick

For those who have yet to try Wickhams soaps then get off your arse and do yourself a favour. It's on the top shelf alongside the Mikes and Jabonman, et. al. If you like these at all then you owe it to yourself.

Meanwhile another nice shave from the NEW SC - a la LaP - though the PSS started getting needy and tugging towards the end so I'll try the NEW loaded with a Feather tomorrow.

What was the wooden bowl originally used for? C&E would be my guess.

Yep. Come on, you know the old saying about them.

Nice bowl, shame about the soap ....

Pre-shave: Proraso Pre-Shave cream
Brush: Plisson L'Occy
Soap/Cream: Pannacrema Lavandotto
Razor: Fatip Piccolo (on loan from Stillsy)
Blade: Feather - Fresh blade
After-shave: Thayers Rose Witch Hazel / Proraso Green splash

The Pannacrema isn't a favorite soap (cue @filobiblic ) but the Plisson did a real fine job getting the best lather out of it to date. Previous attempts with a boar or badger were ho-hum but the synthetic did a sterling job of it. The Lavandotto has a weird and unique kind of scent but...it's different.

Changed up to a Feather thinking that the extra sharpness would smooth out the shave and I was kind of right. It felt a lot smoother compared to the Platinum. A lot smoother. However I did cop a small nick and my face felt a tad raw after the first pass. The Fatip/Feather combo made for a really, really close shave. The splash of Proraso raised the temperature for a few seconds but I was quite pleased with the end result.

Last edited:
Tuesday 17 February 2015

193623d1424177531-sun-february-15th-sat-february-21st-sotd-17022015.jpg

George Wostenholm & Sons Pipe Razor, 5/8 Half Hollow, Square Point

As a collector and historian of pogonotomy, I love shaving with old straight razors and I like to revive important pages of history, adding art to the pleasure of shaving. Wostenholm certainly is one of the most important straight razor makers of the past, with a glorious history to tell, its razors are still capable of giving a superb shave no matter of a long time has padded by. Just perfect and agile, this bow razor is still doing an excellent job.​
  • Pre-Shave: Myrsol Emulsión
  • Soap: DR K Peppermint Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Plisson Badger
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: George Wostenholm & Sons Pipe Razor, 5/8 Half Hollow, Square Point
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Myrsol Agua de Limón

Tuesday 17 February 2015

193623d1424177531-sun-february-15th-sat-february-21st-sotd-17022015.jpg

George Wostenholm & Sons Pipe Razor, 5/8 Half Hollow, Square Point

As a collector and historian of pogonotomy, I love shaving with old straight razors and I like to revive important pages of history, adding art to the pleasure of shaving. Wostenholm certainly is one of the most important straight razor makers of the past, with a glorious history to tell, its razors are still capable of giving a superb shave no matter of a long time has padded by. Just perfect and agile, this bow razor is still doing an excellent job.​
  • Pre-Shave: Myrsol Emulsión
  • Soap: DR K Peppermint Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Plisson Badger
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: George Wostenholm & Sons Pipe Razor, 5/8 Half Hollow, Square Point
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Myrsol Agua de Limón
How long do your shaves take RG?

Status
Not open for further replies.