Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too hard to choose mate. Seriously one is the best and then on another day in another mood another is better. So far I keep coming back to the Sheridan but.... I promised to treat myself to a full-sized tub of my favourite - hence why I bought so many samples. But so far I cannot commit to one or even two.
You sure you aren't Gen Y...?

Brush: shavemac #177
Soap: LPL
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (1)
Post-shave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

First shave with the #177. Full review once she's broken in, and I thought the inaugural shave should imbue the knot with a scent I enjoy and a lather I will be creating for some time - as I have a couple of picks of LPL on its way from G&C.

Lather was a little thin, but that's expected from the #177's first wet. The size suits me very nicely, so I'm really looking forward to using it once it finds its stride.

The scent of LPL and Myrsol's Balsamic Water is perfect!

Brush: L'Occitane synthetic
Soap/Cream: Martin de Candre Fougére
Razor: Gold Dollar str8 (cheeks & neck)
Razor: NEW Long Comb
Blade: Personna Lab Blue [3]
After-shave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Glorious! A wonderful shave.
The straight is feeling great in the hand, even the neck went smoothly today. The soap and aftershave scents and performance are exceptional. What a combo!

Today's second shave with the box from Melbourne:

20150408_SOTDS_zpsr222arkl.jpg

Razor: Gillette Guard (from the box)
Blade: Gillette Guard (from the box)
Brush: Omega Bambino
Soap: Arko (from the box)
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Coniferous alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Since the last box I wanted to try both Arko and the Gillette Guard. The last time I have used a cart or something similar was ~20 years ago, and I was really eager to see, if they are as bad I as I remembered and I guess the Guard is the best example of a Cart.

I must admit, this was a very unpleasant shave for me. After the first pass, the blade started to pull, from the third pass on I got some wheepers and there was a huge sting from the alum at the end. The worst part is however, that the shave was not even close - I would not even call it a DFS...

If I really had to shave, when travelling and was limited to hand luggage only, this seems like the only option. But I would try to send myself some blades in advance...or not shave at all.

Now to the Arko stick: I am not going to comment on the scent - I know this is a very polarising topic and scents are always a YMMV thing. The lather exploded in seconds, like many have experienced before me and the glide of the soap was superb. However the lather was not as dense and yoghurty as I would like it. I will definitely give it another go, with a bigger brush in the coming days.

The best part of today's shave was the Olive Oil - no questions asked, but my face still does not feel as happy as I would like to. Next review hopefully on Friday back from home

Razor: Fatboy (2, 5)
Blade: Feather (0)
Brush: Plisson L'Occy Synth
Soap: Soap Commander Courage
Post-shave: Alum on one bump

Time for a new blade, put my hand in the box and pulled out..... a Feather dispenser. It's been a while between them, so dropped it into the Fatboy and wound her down.

Initial pass was quite good, although I was keeping 'the feather touch' and really being careful with angle. No issues first up. Opened her up to 5 for the second pass, took the top off a bump with the appropriate blood. Alum to bring that spot under control.

Must say that the courage is impressing me more with each outing. Definitely had the yoghurt this morning, thickest lather I have ever experienced. Went harder with the bloom water today and covered the entire soap (just). Shook the prush right out and just lathered in the tub and let the brush draw up the bloom water at the same time as the soap. Really, really impressive.

Brush: Body Shop Synthetic
Soap: Cella
Razor: Merkur 34
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Black Label (2)
Post-shave: Alum

Two pass shave today, still on holidays. First shave with Cella and what a great almond scent. The Body Shop brush is not great and I cant wait to try
this soap with either my boar or badger brush when I get back home.

Synths do make exceptional lather. Point made when I broke out one of my Omega boars. Took more product, took longer, and still couldn't get it to the same place as a synth does. Synths make it dead easy to get that wet glossy slick stuff.

Both my Merkur heads take Feather blades perfectly. I don't even have to take care, I can use them like any other blade. They just cut faster and quicker.

I know all the vendors say all Merkur heads should be the same, but my experience says it ain't so. I've had 34, Futur, Progress, Slant and some others I can't remember. And these were all 2 piece razors, and were more aggressive. The adjustables more so even dialled down. My 2 three pice Merkurs, the 23 and 30 heads, are significantly different to all of them. Yet exactly the same as each other. They both shave the same and tame rough and sharp blades without losing the good qualities of the blades.

Last edited:
Synths do make exceptional lather. Point made when I broke out one of my Omega boars. Took more product, took longer, and still couldn't get it to the same place as a synth does. Synths make it dead easy to get that wet glossy slick stuff.

Both my Merkur heads take Feather blades perfectly. I don't even have to take care, I can use them like any other blade. They just cut faster and quicker.

I know all the vendors say all Merkur heads should be the same, but my expereince say it ain't so. I've had 34, Futut, Progress, Slant and some others I can't remember. All the 2 piece razor are more aggressive. The adjustables more so. My 2 three pice Merkurs are significantly different and tame rough and sharp blades without losing the good qualities of them.
Listen to you talking in the plural about razors. It's so cute....

20150408_SOTDS_zpsr222arkl.jpg

The last time I have used a cart or something similar was ~20 years ago, and I was really eager to see, if they are as bad I as I remembered and I guess the Guard is the best example of a Cart.

I must admit, this was a very unpleasant shave for me.
Thanks @alfredus . You took one for the team lest somebody else thought of returning to our old ways. A big thankyou from everybody at P&C!!!

Listen to you talking in the plural about razors. It's so cute....

Well, it's two razor heads, which are technically the same razor, being identical. One long Merkur handle, and one long Weber SS. They mix and match to make one razor, technically. One just heavier than the other, regardless of components. Technically.

I wrote slowly, so you could keep up….

I thought about changing my sig, but the above logic just makes too much sense, so I said fuck it, it's still good. Well, I probably should add a couple of blades, cos the Astra's and PSS are tops too so ok, you got me. On a technicality.

Last edited:
Well, it's two razor heads, which are technically the same razor, being identical. One long Merkur handle, and one long Weber SS. They mix and match to make one razor, technically. One just heavier than the other, regardless of components. Technically.

I wrote slowly, so you could keep up….
Thank you. So it's more than one razor though....like technically?

Brush: Vintage Butterscotch distressed Culmak reknotted with TGN Finest
Soap/Cream: Vintage Yardley Shaving Soap
Razor: Weber Polished Head on a Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Super Platinum [1]
After-shave: Clubman Special Reserve

AHHHH, lovely shave. The polished head works and feels much better than the Shavecraft #102

AHHHH, lovely shave. The polished head works and feels much better than the Shavecraft #102
Ouch! (On behalf of the #102)
Such lovely razors those Webers...

Ouch! (On behalf of the #102)
Such lovely razors those Webers...

Sorry but much better balance, less bulky, not weirdly angled. The #102 is an ugly duckling IMHO

Sorry but much better balance, less bulky, not weirdly angled. The #102 is an ugly duckling IMHO
It's certainly a different take on the usual slant...

Status
Not open for further replies.