Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
eqUz7Jv.png
Hey you got one of them mild OCs...is it a 1904? What's it like?

Hey you got one of them mild OCs...is it a 1904? What's it like?
It's @MrT's razor. Loaded with a Feather it's still very mild. Decent, but mild.
I prefer a NEW. I've got a few other OC's that I'll cycle through shortly. This is a loaner...

Brush: shavemac #177
Soap: Jabonman Brisa de Oriente
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (2)
Post-shave: TOBS Bay Rum

Shave #2 with the #177. and it's already improving. First time trying the TOBS Bay Rum (thanks @Nightguard ). Smells a lot like the Captains Choice Bay Rum - with the cloves eased off. I think the Captains Choice has a nicer post-application face feel. But if you can;t source the stuff here then TOBS seems a viable back-up.

Oh yeah, jeez that Feather is so sweet!

Brush: Duke 2
Razor: Merkur 37c
Blade: Polsilver (1)
Soap: D.R. Harris Lavender
A/S: GFT Coral Skinfood.

First use of DRH Lavender soap in a while, great subtle fragrance and that great DRH lather. Topped off with a new bottle of Skinfood and a very nice shave was had.

Brush: shavemac #177
Soap: WSP Black Ambre Vanilla
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (3)
Post-shave: Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood

Shave #3 with the #177 and it's coming along great guns. I'm most admiring the density which is goldilocks for me - likes of the Edwin Jagger Super was too soft and floppy and the likes of the Simpsons Duke (2) and Classic (2) were too dense and rigid. I know it's too early but I reckon these tips are softening up already.

First time trying the WSP products. I was adamant that I wanted to try all my big soaps and creams to see what is being sold off in the Great Simplification, but I sniffed the sample of Black Ambre Vanille and so the diversion was set. Smells a lot like....well what the label says but more so it's a fragrance that accords with me. A LOT! Must say I'm not a fan of these flash-in-the-pan American soaps but this stuff ticks most my boxes - you know the ones: lather consistency, protection, slickness/glide, post-shave feel. I liked them all. Bonus points to the scent - yum! and glide which I found indisputably tops. Only issue, if I were to be picky was that the lather thinned on the face. Was fine maintaining its structure and integrity in the bowl but the last pass zone - usually the goatee area for me - began to show the hue of my skin earlier than the pass. No real effect to the shave - as the glide compensated, but I assume this did affect the protection somewhat...which you'll not much notice with the Feather.

I say I don't like cloves and then I splash on the Ogallala...and I wonder why I keep saying I don't like cloves! This stuff is great. I am conflicted as to whether I like the Ogallala or Captains Choice more betterer. Really not sure....

All up a very nice shave, ready to meet the President of the National Gillette Museum for a burger at noon.

If you are going to use a cream/ soap that has an acronym and isn't one of the big names like TOBS, T&H, mwf can i request you at least say a recognisable part of the name once so I don't have to Google it?

So many new soaps and creams are being discussed on here these days that poor old fellahs like myself have no clue wtfyaboa half the time. Otherwise our eyes start to glaze over and we become crochety, cantankerous old geezers yelling at you young 'uns to get orf our laaaand!

Way to take the joke out of my group buy upon signs ;)

If you are going to use a cream/ soap that has an acronym and isn't one of the big names like TOBS, T&H, mwf can i request you at least say a recognisable part of the name once so I don't have to Google it?

So many new soaps and creams are being discussed on here these days that poor old fellahs like myself have no clue wtfyaboa half the time. Otherwise our eyes start to glaze over and we become crochety, cantankerous old geezers yelling at you young 'uns to get orf our laaaand!

Sorry mate, my Google on "WSP Black Ambre Vanille" brings it up first - as a Youtube review.

So yes this morning was the WSP a.k.a Wiry Silver Pubes, World Series Poojabbing, Wet Shaving Products Rustic Soap Black Ambre and Vanille soap. Wore and carried well today.

20150410_SOTDS_zpsem10xx8c.jpg

Razor: The Wolf SB-P WRH2
Blade: Lord Super Chrome (from the box)
Brush: Frank Shaving 28mm Synthetic (from the box)
Soap: Stirling Lavender & Sage (old formula)
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

After the bit disappointing shave in Melbourne, I could not wait to get back home to my regular gear and the goodies from the box. I did not like the Frank Shaving Synthetic brush the first time I used it, but @filobiblic made some suggestion on how to use it, so I thought I would give it another try.

I could face lather this time, by opening up the brush on my chin and then pressing really hard during the lathering process on the rest of my face. As soon as I stopped applying the pressure, the brush contracted and I had to go back to my chin, to open it up again.

The feel very much reminded me of former times, when I used to mash my boar brushes into my face. If you like this feeling, the brush might be right for you. I have since refined my technique and try to use only tips of my brushes...it is less harsh on my face and I enjoy it more. Having said that, there was a lot of scrub present and, as can be expected from a synthetic: a ton of perfect lather.

The shave itself was fantastic – many thanks to @khun_diddy for recommending the Lord Super Chromes. I must say at first I was a bit sceptical – his last recommendation was a carbon steel blade I was not too fond of. But the Lord was silky smooth, yet sharp enough to not pull and tug. Perfect 4 passes and I would say this blade is close to my favourite Voskhods. Maybe a tiny bit less sharp, but very comfortable and effective.

And as always in recent reviews: the Olive Oil post-shave treatment is heaven, it should be the first item on every shavers to do list.

Razor: Fatboy (9)
Blade: Astra
Brush: Sgavemac 25 22/48
Cream: Penhaligon's BB
Post-shave: Myrsol K

Used my recently acquired Fatboy (gift from Dad) and as I felt like only going with the grain I cranked it all the way up. Will post a SOTD this weekend. Piece of art really. Welcomed back the BB into the den and I'm glad it wasn't snapped up. All round it's a classic. Refined scent and stellar easy to come by performance. I think where some people slip up with easy to lather products is they hold back on adding sufficient water. You'll get fooled by the mounds of lather and stop adding water; but really you need that to keep adding until it gets heavy and shiny. Put the Myrsol on post shave and all I felt was the mild cool down on my skin. No further moisture necessary.

On another note my Shavemac is pure bliss. Each one of my brushes performs in its own way. The shavemac for me has the softest face feel.

Brush: L'Occitane synthetic
Soap/Cream: Caties Bubbles Le Piment de la Vie
Razor: Gold Dollar str8 (cheeks & neck)
Razor: NEW Long Comb with Weber Classic handle
Blade: Personna Lab Blue [2]
After-shave: Jabonman Brisa de Oriente milk
Scent: L'Occitane Baux

Lol! It was my dads Fatboy [emoji4]
So did you like?
...can be quite smooth with the right blade on-board. My fave adjustable - though, to be fair, I've not tried a Merkur or Personna or ...so let's better say "my preferred Gillette adjustable".

Razor: Fatboy (4)
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: L'Occitane Plisson synthetic
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann 'Dickens'
After-shave:
nope
Scent: Nope-nope

First go of the Dickens kindly passed on by @eggbert - and I can instantly see why. This is not a Darwinian scent at all. But since it is named after Charles Dickens (A Christmas Carol) who is actually a direct great-great-great-great (I think) grandfather of mine, I simply had to have it.

Instant hit to the olfactories of glacé cherries, but complicated with that marzipan cherry note without the Italian Almondica that usually resides with it. Very complex and you can tell there's other stuff in there doing its work. A light citrus note is detectable which I am told is lemon but it's not immediately distinguishable. Bloomed it as per the last SC Courage shave and had a shower.

Coming back to it the lemon is definitely noticeable, as is a gingerbready baked note. There's allspice and some pepper there too but it is muted (pink peppercorn?) and the water has turned down the cherry quite a bit. For a Christmas-inspired scent I reckon it is missing a bit of camphorous pine... that fresh-cut Christmas tree note that I remember as a kid.

Lather. Much wow. Tub overflow. Possibly the easiest lather I have seen yet, not sure that the 'Plocciatane' was completely to blame here but this thing just instantly had lather everywhere. I think WIll has his soap base completely nailed as far as I am concerned and most of the reasons for me not liking soaps have now pretty much disappeared. I cannot dislike the way this lathers. Super slick, took a little extra water but the amount I bloomed it was just about right.

Shave with the feather was great, no nicks! Skin feels awesome afterwards.

If you are not in on the group buy with at least one soap, you are missing out. Just grab a Seville and use it, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
I loved the lather but his scents don't appeal otherwise I would have picked up a couple.

So did you like?
...can be quite smooth with the right blade on-board. My fave adjustable - though, to be fair, I've not tried a Merkur or Personna or ...so let's better say "my preferred Gillette adjustable".

It's a solid shaver. Once you dial in your technique it certainly is smooth with a good heft that's balanced by it stocky layout. I mostly stick to no. 3 when going against the grain, otherwise 5 with.

Razor: New
Blade: Rapira
Brush: Omega 10065
Soap: Arko
Aftershave:
Brut

This was my first shave with a Rapira. They were kindly gifted to me by a shaver off YKW. I would say they're a middle of the road blade - nothing to write home about but certainly not terrible. They were comfortable enough but they just didn't stand out as excellent.

I've been recently exposed to the wonderful world of Arko, also via YKW. Today I bought a small bowl in Chinatown to mash some of it into.

oO2oQnM.jpg

It works very well like this. Very well indeed. The Omega loaded with ease and it exploded as I face lathered. The amount & quality of lather generated was simply awe-inspiring. Arko has replaced Cella as my number one soap/cream as far as lather goes. I don't mind the scent either...

Status
Not open for further replies.