Shave of the Day - 2024

PXL-20240407-203306769-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: TroyCraft "Opalesque" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Art of Shaving (Valobra) Sandalwood
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Pour Un Homme de Caron

My profligate use of this soap (another princely gift from @TomG) has resulted in a tiny skerrick in the bottom of this wooden bowl, and I don't expect it to last out the week. I've long ago lost count of how many shaves I got out of it, but it was a lot. Fortunately I do still have a few pucks of my preciousss Oxford & Cambridge (Valobra sold under the Czech & Speake label).

7aBc181.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Paladin Lava Flow Select Badger
Soap: Vintage Shulton Old Spice
Razor: Gillette Gold Super Adjustable (5-5-5)
Blade: Vintage Gillette Platinum Plus (2)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Vintage Shulton Old Spice Aftershave Lotion

Yep, nice razor that one.

Thanks! The sellers photos (3 of them) were awful, and only of the show side; but I had a feeling about it. Put in a low ball bid and was surprised to win it. I was pretty chuffed when I took it out of the coffin and saw it was NOS, and just thrilled when I turned it over and saw the Master's stamp! :)

SOTD Tuesday 18 June

• Razor Gillette British Rocket HD
  • Blade Gillette Wilkinson Sword -India
  • Pre-Shave Pears soap
  • Brush Jack the Barber - Synthetic
  • Cream Jack the Barber - Sandalwood
  • Post Shave Nivea Moisturizer
  • Aftershave Brut
  • Balm Nivea – Sensitive Balm

The Morning Shave.

I used the Wilkinson Sword Saloon pack blade manufactured in India. Very comfortable shave.

The Jack the Barber brush is around $10 Aus – very good quality for a supermarket brand

Jack the Barber cream – Sandalwood. Very good low-cost budget cream.

oIehVv5.jpeg

Pre: Cremo Reserve Collection
Brush: Stray Whisker Synthetic
Razor: Rockwell 6S (5)
Blade: Perma-Sharp
Soap: Declaration Grooming Original

Another soap I bought years ago and never finished - it did a good job. The Petersburg blades have all worked well so far and aside from the Nacet feeling sharper, I haven't noticed any major differences between them. I don't think this lotion smells anything like the original, but I like the scent.

oIehVv5.jpeg

Pre: Cremo Reserve Collection
Brush: Stray Whisker Synthetic
Razor: Rockwell 6S (5)
Blade: Perma-Sharp
Soap: Declaration Grooming Original

Another soap I bought years ago and never finished - it did a good job. The Petersburg blades have all worked well so far and aside from the Nacet feeling sharper, I haven't noticed any major differences between them. I don't think this lotion smells anything like the original, but I like the scent.
FWIW I have found the “Original” Old Spice in a white glass bottle Made in Italy to be the “closest” to the old, my old nose can’t smell the difference!!

Where to buy this one?
The one I have seen is in plastic bottle and definitely not the same.
Sometimes you'll find vintage old spice in white glass bottle via eBay and Etsy, depends on where you look, trouble is nearly all vintage alcohol aftershave outside of Australia cannot ship it to Australia.

Where to buy this one?
The one I have seen is in plastic bottle and definitely not the same.
This site, the “Old Original” was in a milk glass white bottle by Shulton this is a white glass bottle by P&G who bought Shulton out years ago?

SOTD Wednesday 19 June

• Razor Gillette British Rocket FlareTip
  • Blade Treet 7 Days Platinum
  • Pre-Shave Pears soap
  • Brush Vulfix Pure badger
  • Cream Nivea Sensitive Pro Cream
  • Post Shave Nivea Sensitive Pro Moisturizer
  • Aftershave Brut Splash
  • Balm Nivea – Sensitive Balm

The Morning Shave.

An opportunity to use a different blade from a recent PIF

The Blades come double wrapped, a clear wrapper inside the outer envelope wrapper.

This blade was not a sharp as the 7am. No nicks / weepers. Very comfortable shave.

Plenty of blade feel – DFS.

Nivea is a very good value brand. This set cost $5 Aus for both (Shaving cream & balm moisturizer)

Scent is quite faint and clean.