Shave of the Day - 2024

23 August (SR shave No. 1709)
Pre-1924 T.R. Cadman "Bengall" 6/8 Dutch point dressed in Australian golden wattle timber scales. Edge is finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa.
PuflRjj.jpg

SOTD Friday 23 August
  • Razor Gillette Adjustable FatBoy (5) G1
  • Blade Gillette Minora Stainless (7)
  • Pre-Shave Tricare Goats Milk
  • Brush Synthetic
  • Cream Jack the Barber - Sandalwood
  • Post Shave Nivea – Sensitive Pro - Moisturizer
  • Aftershave Brut Splash
  • Balm Nivea – Sensitive Pro - Post Shave Balm

The Morning Shave.
The Gillette Minora blade was in my 1961 Gillette Adjustable FatBoy today.

This is #7 on this blade, full head & face shaves. Still very comfortable shave.
I don’t have a full repertoire of shaving paraphernalia, so changing the background image to make my SOTD photos look a little different.

Can anyone identify the watch?
I know where you’re coming from mate. I’ve only got two different soaps and three aftershaves
And one of those soaps is Arko which some would say isn’t even a soap it’s just Arko.

Friday 23/08/24 (afternoon)
  • Razor Gillette Super Speed X3
  • Blade New Astra Platinum
  • Pre-Shave Hot Shower
  • Brush Synthetic B&B Chubby
  • Cream Mitchells Wool Fat
  • Aftershave Proraso Menthol & Eucalyptus
Todays Shave was a mild one.
The Super Speed black X3 (1952) is a mild razor in this family.
Maybe on par with with the regular flare tip SS I have not compared it to the Flare tip rocket GB.
This razor needed a third pass to touch up with me (but we are all different)
The Beard&Blade Synthetic Chubby is great Highly Recommended (As one of our member said "It should lather like a beast"
And it does.
Cheers all.
IMG-8433.jpg

24/08/24 : Afternoon
  • Razor Gillette Ball Handle Tech (no date)
  • Blade Vintage Waltham Blade CO
  • Pre-Shave Hot Shower
  • Brush Synthetic B&B Chubby
  • Cream Mitchells Wool Fat
  • Aftershave Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Its a cold wet Saturday here in Byford WA.
After A refreshing hot Shave I thought what can make this day less gloomy?
So I did a lucky dip into a bag of assorted blades and out came a Waltham carbon steel blade. (pictured)
I load it into The Tech the shave was ok bordering on average as most of you will know The Tech is a mild razor.
And most vintage carbon steel blades don't compare to modern blades.
(In days of old when men were bold........)
1 Pass WTG 1 ATG and a touch up here and there and not to bad.
Even the bay rum didn't sting.
After cleaning up I washed and applied a drop of 3 in1 oil to the blade.
I will see if I can get a few more shaves with some hand stropping.

Any one from outside WA know what the furry friend is??

(Garry357 I used a page out of your play book;))

Cheers All
IMG-8462.jpg
IMG-8464.jpg

Last edited:
1999a9Fh.jpg

Soap: Pb Mirrors & Smoke
Brush: Platypus
Razor: Vestige Ti
Blade: Black steel GEM type

Good onya @Errol . You probably knew this was going to be a 'slam dunk'.:unsure:
So Errol sends me a couple of razors to try out and I can see straight up what the hype is about these razors.
I pulled out the Vestige Ti to start with. Beautiful looking razor by itself, my criticism had been the aesthetics of the razor with the blade loaded.
I thought I had grabbed a Personna GEM blade to load but when I attempted to load it it was a tight fit on the side tabs. I hadn't recalled any comments about ill fitting blades so I checked out the blade and realized it was a black steel blade. Anyway it was in and ready to shave but initially I had thought if this was going to be the case every shave with a Vestige then I'd rather not bother. Post shave I checked out the fit of a Personna blade and it was straight in no troubles, so problem solved. I'll be interested to see if there's any difference in performance between the black steel blade and the Personna.

From the first stroke this razor was a delight. The sought after performance of efficiency and comfort. Wow! One shave in and I'm sold.:) I was so confident I was just throwing this thing around my face enjoying the resulting smoothness. At the end of the shave I realized I had very insubstantial single thin red line probably where I had commenced a stroke with too much abandon :LOL:, and that the back of the blade sticking out of the razor hadn't impeded the shave one little bit. So I'm getting a little over excited and jump over to the Atelier Durdan site to see how much I'm up for to pull the trigger and get reminded I really do have enough razors...............for the moment.

1999a9Fh.jpg

Soap: Pb Mirrors & Smoke
Brush: Platypus
Razor: Vestige Ti
Blade: Black steel GEM type

Good onya @Errol . You probably knew this was going to be a 'slam dunk'.:unsure:
So Errol sends me a couple of razors to try out and I can see straight up what the hype is about these razors.
I pulled out the Vestige Ti to start with. Beautiful looking razor by itself, my criticism had been the aesthetics of the razor with the blade loaded.
I thought I had grabbed a Personna GEM blade to load but when I attempted to load it it was a tight fit on the side tabs. I hadn't recalled any comments about ill fitting blades so I checked out the blade and realized it was a black steel blade. Anyway it was in and ready to shave but initially I had thought if this was going to be the case every shave with a Vestige then I'd rather not bother. Post shave I checked out the fit of a Personna blade and it was straight in no troubles, so problem solved. I'll be interested to see if there's any difference in performance between the black steel blade and the Personna.

From the first stroke this razor was a delight. The sought after performance of efficiency and comfort. Wow! One shave in and I'm sold.:) I was so confident I was just throwing this thing around my face enjoying the resulting smoothness. At the end of the shave I realized I had very insubstantial single thin red line probably where I had commenced a stroke with too much abandon :LOL:, and that the back of the blade sticking out of the razor hadn't impeded the shave one little bit. So I'm getting a little over excited and jump over to the Atelier Durdan site to see how much I'm up for to pull the trigger and get reminded I really do have enough razors...............for the moment.
Great reading and pics mate:love:

SOTD Sunday 25 August
  • Razor Gillette Slim Adjustable (5) J4
  • Blade Feather Hi-Stainless
  • Pre-Shave Tricare Goats Milk
  • Brush Vulfix Pure Badger
  • Cream Proraso Yellow – Wood & Spice
  • Post Shave Thayers Witch Hazel - Unscented
  • Aftershave Brut Splash
  • Balm Nivea – Sensitive Pro - Post Shave Balm

The Morning Shave.
The Feather Hi-Stainless blade was in my 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable today.

After missing my shave yesterday, it was another opportunity to use the Feather Hi-Stainless.
I thought I would be a little indulgent today, with the Vulfix Pure Badger and the Proraso Wood & Spice.
Absolutely love the Wood & Spice scent. Quite strong but a great scent.
Not sure if this has been completely discontinued now or if some stock is still available. I use no more than 1gram of shave cream so these last me a few years.

The Feather performs amazing with a couple of days growth, so smooth and comfortable.

Can anyone identify the watch?