Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-Shave: - Shower & Musgo Real Classic Scent Pre-Shave Oil Soap
Brush: - Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger in Tall Resin Handle 24/50mm
Lather: - Haslinger Schafmilch Rasierseife Sheep Milk & Lanolin (very similar to MWF)
Razor: - Fatip Piccolo :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:
Blade: - Gillette Silver Blue #1
Post Shave: - Alum Block / T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Can't speak I'm loving my first Fatip Piccolo Holy Grail Razor

Last edited:
4630ec5a5c3615296f99812a6e73db49.jpg

Pre: La Toja soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: DR Harris Best Badger H3
Soap: JabonMan Eufros Premium Rosa Bourbon
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra (3)
A/S: JabonMan Rosa Bourbon balm

Returned to the DR Harris H3 brush in best badger. This brush flies under the radar, but is a brilliant performer that stands scrutiny alongside Chubby's for me.

The third shave with the vintage GBE was outstanding. My first use of the JabonMan Rosa Bourbon soap. Stellar performance. Very slick and the glide was wonderful. No irritation, and top shelf post shave feel. BBS three pass shave, with one neck weeper.

I have some sensitive areas on my neck. Significantly, only a tiny bit of sting on the Antisol post-shave splash; the best I've experienced.
The scent of the soap is a beautiful natural rose.

Applied the matching balm to finish. Both the soap and balm clearly have decent levels of the rose essential oil (as noted in a recent post by @filobiblic), and hence the fragrance has decent staying power.

4630ec5a5c3615296f99812a6e73db49.jpg

Pre: La Toja soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: DR Harris Best Badger H3
Soap: JabonMan Eufros Premium Rosa Bourbon
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra (3)
A/S: JabonMan Rosa Bourbon balm

Returned to the DR Harris H3 brush in best badger. This brush flies under the radar, but is a brilliant performer that stands scrutiny alongside Chubby's for me.

The third shave with the vintage GBE was outstanding. My first use of the JabonMan Rosa Bourbon soap. Stellar performance. Very slick and the glide was wonderful. No irritation, and top shelf post shave feel. BBS three pass shave, with one neck weeper.

I have some sensitive areas on my neck. Significantly, only a tiny bit of sting on the Antisol post-shave splash; the best I've experienced.
The scent of the soap is a beautiful natural rose.

Applied the matching balm to finish. Both the soap and balm clearly have decent levels of the rose essential oil (as noted in a recent post by @filobiblic), and hence the fragrance has decent staying power.

Whoops - should have been @stillshunter as the JabonMan guru. Having said that, wouldn't surprise me if @filibiblic was also a full bottle on it.

Pre: La Toja Pre Shave Soap
Brush: St James of London
Razor: ATT Colossus, Feather
Cream: Stirling Barbershop
After: Fine American Blend

The first shave with the recently obtained SJOL brush and it was a treat to use, to say the knot is generous would be an understatement even with the brush only beginning to splay properly. Very smooth face feel, a little more backbone than I was expecting, no shedding as yet and the volume of the brush made a huge volume of lather effortlessly. Suffice to say I am very happy with my acquisition and I am interested to see how the brush ends up in a few weeks once it has really come to life.

I will be cycling some of my better creams and soaps over the next few weeks to see how the SJOL compares to my CH1 and the Occams that form part of my regular brush cycle, in part to test performance but also to enjoy the creams I enjoy the most.

The usual 2 pass today, great lather and superb smell from the Stirling Barbershop that was topped off with their balm prior to a reasonable amount of Fine American Blend. I am leaning more towards PAA CAD as my favourite barbershop currently. however I have some Stirling Barbershop splash arriving in a week or so from a friend and am eager to give it a run given that the soap has such a great scent.

Razor: Vintage Gillette Fatboy (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Platinum plus (10)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'The Duke'
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Vanilla Oak
Aftershave: Barberry Coast Shaving Co Havana Balm

Thanks to @Sxot for the Vanilla Oak and Spiced Mahogany in my search for a SH soap with a scent I like.

Performance - sensational as always but what about the scent? (n) for me on this one - too sweet ...

So onto the Spiced Mahogany tomorrow which seems more promising in the tub :)

Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Platinum plus (10)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'The Duke'
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Vanilla Oak
Aftershave: Barberry Coast Shaving Co Havana Balm

Thanks to @Sxot for the Vanilla Oak and Spiced Mahogany in my search for a SH soap with a scent I like.

Performance - sensational as always but what about the scent? (n) for me on this one - too sweet ...

So onto the Spiced Mahogany tomorrow which seems more promising in the tub :)

Geeeezzzeee you're hard to please.

Pre: None
Brush: Shavemac Silver Tip 2 band
Soap: MWF
Razor: 1908 Bengal 7/8 Square Full Hollow

Another one of those "stars aligned" shaves. First shave with the razor after a touch up on the Vintage JNat. Kanoyama Linen x 30 & Leather x 60. Slickness of MWF awesome as always, especially residual. No moisturising balm required. BBS and smelling great!

I found it way to sweet 'in the tub' but absolutely spot on when lathered, the redolent vanilla and oak notes reached perfection as my bathroom suffused with the beautiful scent. Imho @Anthony has made a masterful soap and it is one that I wished I had discovered earlier. Really love this soap and it has joined my extremely selective autumn/winter roundup at the expense of all Razo Rock soaps which I have decided are not worth it.

My only dislike, and this is a personal thing, is the tub artwork. I prefer less colourful tubs in the bathroom. The physical plastic tub Shaver Heaven uses though with the recessed lip is an excellent feature as I like to take my loading beyond hate - I load like I'm massacring it(tm) and the recess prevents the soap from breaching the tub if I am a little to eager.

Whoops - should have been @stillshunter as the JabonMan guru. Having said that, wouldn't surprise me if @filobiblic was also a full bottle on it.

I do!!! Manuel one of my favourite soap/balm artisans, and the Rosa Bourbon is a go-to soap & AS milk combo. [emoji41]
(Remember you just beat me in Stillsy's sale as is easily pick up another set...[emoji6])

Top shave BTW! You just need a vintage razor and you're all set to perfection. [emoji23]

Again I'm late to the party but 2 passes last night with the Russian straight [Ivan's brother Boris or Bill - they are triplets so look similar] Anyway I digress. I opened a new package from Portugal yesterday and another pig joins the stye. This one is a Semogue 2000. I have to report this one had no boar funk and and has softened up with minor break in treatment to produce a good lather with just a few hand lathers and the mandatory hair drier treatment to artificially encourage the ends to split. No hair loss. People report these as a "big" brush, not at all, I say ideal both for face and bowl.

Soap: Kokum-Tallow combo with a decadent excess of Lemon myrtle.
Brush: Semogue 2000 [nowhere near broken in but still excellent] @Gabe_Shaves_Australia - I concur with your review.
Razor: One of the triplets.

I confess a nick but claim responsibility and yet also happily smile at the thought of doing it all again tonight. :)

Steve

Great stuff! :) the Semogue 2000 is an excellent brush. Great size too.

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Preshave:
Musgo Real Glyce Soap
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: PSI (2)
Brush: Shavemac 24mm 2 Band
Soap: Soap Commander Vision
Splash: Myrsol Formula K

Feeling under the weather so I needed something to perk me up. The Vision and Formula K are both mint without being menthol and so did the trick. I used the Shavemac again tonight as I feel it has improved over the last shave or so. It is noticeably softer and more luxurious, whilst retaining perfect backbone. My guess is that that's about 20 or so shaves in. I love this brush.

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Preshave:
Musgo Real Glyce Soap
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: PSI (2)
Brush: Shavemac 24mm 2 Band
Soap: Soap Commander Vision
Splash: Myrsol Formula K

Feeling under the weather so I needed something to perk me up. The Vision and Formula K are both mint without being menthol and so did the trick. I used the Shavemac again tonight as I feel it has improved over the last shave or so. It is noticeably softer and more luxurious, whilst retaining perfect backbone. My guess is that that's about 20 or so shaves in. I love this brush.
Nice brush and I love that razor! Get well soon.

06a41ba7b87eb6890857b98f4eff1b43.jpg

Pre: Myrsol Antesol
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac 2 band
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
Razor: iKon B1 Slant
Blade: Feather
Post: alum, witch hazel, TSW After Balm, Stirling Bay Rum

Lather was fantastic. When I whipped this up tonight, I knew I'd be in for a great amazing shave tonight. So much protection, glide and the scent was intoxicating. I had a great time face lathering. I think am getting the hang of this brush. Sure need to load it up and needs more water.

Shave was top class, partly because I got the lather right. Not much to add here.

Finished off with my usual line of finishers, along with Stirling Bay Rum. Big smile [emoji2]

Baudelaire today with the ladas (5) in Rockwell. Been using Myrsol emulsion as a preshave for 2 weeks and noticed a vast improvement in my skin (way less irritation and ingrowns on my neck). The glissant formula is an improvement on what was already stellar performance. Great shave

Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson H2 board
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Spiced Mahogany
Aftershave: Myrsol Don Miguel 1919

Found it.

Thanks for making a great soap @Anthony and for @Sxot as my supplier. This is the one for me, my search is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.