Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
sotd-2016-08-20.jpg

Pre-Shave: Shower, hot towel with VapoRub
Razor: Merkur Heavy Classic 34С
Blade: Voskhod
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Soaps, Orange, Cedarwood, and Black Pepper Shaving Soap
Brush: Semogue 1305
ASB: The Stray Whisker After Balm
Cologne: 4711
Post-Routine: hot rinse, alum, cold rinse, balm, cologne

Weekend is the time when I can experiment or try things that do not work well during the week so I decided to try Mike's Natural Soaps again. Thanks to @SpeedyPC for sending videos how to make it working. Loaded like I hated it (well I wasn't too far from that). Even on video it took 10 mins for a guy to made lather. After roughly same time I ended up with nice, slick and very cushioning lather. It was enough for my 3.5 passes (additional 0.5 pass around Adam's apple). But OMG! 10 minutes to make it working. It almost ruined all my pre-shave routine with shower and hot towel. Overall I'm happy - I had a very nice BBS, but too much effort to lather Mike's. Once everything was over applied 4711 cologne. It's actually not too bad at all. Very 'summerish' scent - fresh and zesty.

@dewynter Mike Natural does take a bit of extra time to create a perfect lather, and if you loaded like to hate it this should be able to cut down to around 6 minutes at least.

Always remember this every shaving soap is different some quick and some slow, all I can say is that's life ;)

@dewynter Mike Natural does take a bit of extra time to create a perfect lather, and if you loaded like to hate it this should be able to cut down to around 6 minutes at least.

Always remember this every shaving soap is different some quick and some slow, all I can say is that's life ;)
Yes, it was about 7-8 mins for me this time. So it's all good. Recalled all suggestions on this forum and did my best. :) But I was really surprised in a bad way when I watched videos from you for the first time. But still decided to try. I hope next time it will be a bit faster.

Didn't even think of the hairs. I was looking at the "white" handle.
It can be all a bit confusing with every one trying to come up with the coolest names for their PR machinery ;)

The brush maker is called Nathan Clark, his store is called Envy shave and one type of knot he has (which he also sells on its own) is called Envy White.

Yes, it was about 7-8 mins for me this time. So it's all good. Recalled all suggestions on this forum and did my best. :) But I was really surprised in a bad way when I watched videos from you for the first time. But still decided to try. I hope next time it will be a bit faster.
If you face lather: the time is a bonus - your face gets some extra brush time ;)

35d499fd79f5a67e2dd34a5bd24c2c93.jpg

Pre: La Toja soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Cream: Alvarez Gomez Barberia
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra (2)
Cologne: Alvarez Gomez Barbera Agua De Colonia Concentrada

Tried to keep pressure light this time around. The Bleue is still very sharp, but a comfortable shave.
A Spanish affair with the products today, with Alvarez Gomez and Myrsol featuring.
First try of the Alvarez Gomez cream. It is actually a croap - similar consistency to B&M soaps. Took quite a bit of time to build lather - will use a wetter brush next time. This soap can take a bit of water, and if you are a fan of the cologne, you'll love the scent of the soap. A close three pass shave, with good glide and slickness. No irritation, and a couple of tiny weepers on the neck. Post shave feel good.
Impressed with the soap, and to boot, it comes in a very generous 200ml glass container. Comparing to my last shave, I'd have to give the points to Occams, but the Alvarez Gomez acquitted itself well.
Finished off with the matching cologne.

Pre: Myrsol Antesol
Brush: SOC
Soap: Dr Jon's Anne Bonny
Razor: Standard
Blade: Feather
Post: Alum, witch hazel, TSW After Balm, Ogallala Lime and Peppercorn

Shave today wasn't the greatest. Stuffed up the lather. Didn't loaded it up enough I suppose. Third pass's lather was thin and not up to the standard =(

Wasn't a close shave, started to feel that if I go on a few more passes, I would get bad burns. Let's try again tomorrow, perhaps with a slightly different setup.
No nicks, slight irritation.

Pre: Myrsol Antesol
Brush: SOC
Soap: Dr Jon's Anne Bonny
Razor: Standard
Blade: Feather
Post: Alum, witch hazel, TSW After Balm, Ogallala Lime and Peppercorn

Shave today wasn't the greatest. Stuffed up the lather. Didn't loaded it up enough I suppose. Third pass's lather was thin and not up to the standard =(

Wasn't a close shave, started to feel that if I go on a few more passes, I would get bad burns. Let's try again tomorrow, perhaps with a slightly different setup.
No nicks, slight irritation.

I hear you @silver. Feathers are merciless if the lather is substandard - I've also been on the wrong end of this equation.

I hear you @silver. Feathers are merciless if the lather is substandard - I've also been on the wrong end of this equation.

Yea! They are really sharp and smooth, so they demand the absolute best lather. I best stick with tallows/badger or synth combo when using them. But it's all good! No bloodshed, just minor irritation. Lately I haven't been able to get good lather with my boar. I might need to load longer as I did started with a dryer brush.

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
Brush: Shavemac 24mm 2 Band Custom
Soap: iColoniali
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: Voskhod (2)

Haven't used the iColoniali in a while and was reminded how excellent it is. One of the top tier I think.
I have been using the iKon Tech and R41 recently so, whilst the X3 was incredibly comfortable, it felt a little lacking in efficiency. A BBS would have been achieved with extra buffing, but I settled for a comfortable DFS. The upside is that I'll have something to shave in 24 hours. Honestly, the Tech and R41 leave you clean shaven for at least 36/48 hours.

O9DMBTY.jpg

Pre: Occam's Crushed Lime Pre Shave
Brush: Occam's SB
Razor: ATT Colossus R1
Soap: The Stropp Shoppe - Baker St
After:Balm:
AfterShave: Clubman, Clubman, Clubman

Razor: Vintage Gillette Fatboy (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Platinum plus (9)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson reknotted in pure
Soap/Cream: Jabonman Ylang Ylang Patchouli

Easy going Sunday ...

20160821_113507_1.jpg
Pre: Face wash
Soap: Mikey Lee's 'Colonia Di Agrumi'
Brush: St James 'Super Badger'
Razor: Thiers Issard 6/8

Great shave today. Mikey Lee's soap was great, loaded it hard and got a great lather. Only real let down was my poor technique with the razor (it's a bit aggressive this one). Some irritation was definitely noticeable, but nothing that the amazing Chatillon Lux won't soothe. Will be acquiring more of these soon :)
Enjoy the rest of your Sunday guys.

20160821_113507_1.jpg
Pre: Face wash
Soap: Mikey Lee's 'Colonia Di Agrumi'
Brush: St James 'Super Badger'
Razor: Thiers Issard 6/8

Great shave today. Mikey Lee's soap was great, loaded it hard and got a great lather. Only real let down was my poor technique with the razor (it's a bit aggressive this one). Some irritation was definitely noticeable, but nothing that the amazing Chatillon Lux won't soothe. Will be acquiring more of these soon :)
Enjoy the rest of your Sunday guys.

How are you enjoying the Chatillon Lux & what scents did you get ?

I found the balms to be one of the most soothing, enduring and fantastic smelling ranges I have ever used, the price make them incredibly good value as they are so concentrated. I chatted with Shaun from Chatillon Lux recently about his skin toners, the good news is that due to the low alcohol content and the method of suspending the alcohol in them he is freely able to ship the entire skin toner range internationally. I intend on ordering 5 or 6 of them for the summer months when balms can get a bit much in the heat.

Pretty much a re-run of my last several shaves

Razor: Vintage Gillette Slim (5)
Blade: whatever mystery blade was in there last time (Gillette Bleue Extra) (4)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap/Cream: Godrej menthol mist
Aftershave: Aqua velva

Finished the Godrej! Photo to come later in the appropriate thread.

How are you enjoying the Chatillon Lux & what scents did you get ?

I found the balms to be one of the most soothing, enduring and fantastic smelling ranges I have ever used, the price make them incredibly good value as they are so concentrated. I chatted with Shaun from Chatillon Lux recently about his skin toners, the good news is that due to the low alcohol content and the method of suspending the alcohol in them he is freely able to ship the entire skin toner range internationally. I intend on ordering 5 or 6 of them for the summer months when balms can get a bit much in the heat.
It's an amazing product, I have only got the Bon Vivant scent as of now. I'm looking at getting a few others in future as well as the skin toners in my favourite scents.
I agree balms are a bit much for summer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.