Not open for further replies.
Pre-Shave: Shower
Razor: Merkur Heavy Classic 34С Razor
Blade: Personna (USA)
Soap/Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood cream
Brush: Mühle Silvertip Fibre V2.0 Shaving Brush
ASB: Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm
Post-Routine: hot rinse, alum, cold rinse, balm

This is almost exact setup I used for the first time early this year when I switched from cartridges to DE razor. Only the brush is different. Replaced cheap and crappy badger brush with synthetic one. While Voskhod is my favourite blade and the TSW balm is my favourite balm now I still like this setup. Personna US blades work really well for me in Merkur 34C and TOBS Sandalwood is my all time favourite shaving cream.

First go with the iKon X3. 3 pass wtg, xtg x 2. I agree with Silver and others that have said it is mild yet efficient. I committed a cardinal sin and found myself "looking" for the blade at times, which, needless to say, resulted in a few nicks. Totally my own fault. Will be interesting to see how it goes as I get used to it.
Yea! Maybe that's why it's so smooth. However, from last night's experience, I recall having to shave at a slightly steeper angle.

Another interesting note about the X3 is that when I turn the razor around for ATG shave, the razor feels different. I can feel the blade more and I didn't have to shave with the steep angle. Further updates tonight. Watch this space..

Razor: Gillette Tech 1989
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium @ 4
Soap: Dr Jon - Anne Bonny
Aftershave: Nivea Original

Ji27vCl.gif

Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyce
Razor: iKon Tech
Blade: GSB (1)
Soap: Jabonman Ylang Ylang
Brush: Simpson PJ2 Super
A/S: Alt Innsbruck

I'm not sure I got the best of the Jabonman. It was a little fluffy and not as slick as I was expecting. This soap gets top marks usually so I'm guessing user error. Any help would be appreciated. As a result of the lather the Tech bit a little.

Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyce
Razor: iKon Tech
Blade: GSB (1)
Soap: Jabonman Ylang Ylang
Brush: Simpson PJ2 Super
A/S: Alt Innsbruck

I'm not sure I got the best of the Jabonman. It was a little fluffy and not as slick as I was expecting. This soap gets top marks usually so I'm guessing user error. Any help would be appreciated. As a result of the lather the Tech bit a little.

Slickness isn't its highlight but cushion and scent is. Don't flood it with water but work it in slowly like most veggie soaps. I like to over-load the first time I use a soap so as to "dial-it-in" (like a grinder) with water over progressive shaves.

Baptism of fire with using a new soap and that Tech of yours. [emoji38]

First go with the iKon X3. 3 pass wtg, xtg x 2. I agree with Silver and others that have said it is mild yet efficient. I committed a cardinal sin and found myself "looking" for the blade at times, which, needless to say, resulted in a few nicks. Totally my own fault. Will be interesting to see how it goes as I get used to it.
I would have to agree that one of the hardest things I have found with getting used to this razor is that you cannot feel the blade when it is working at the optimum angle. That being said it is a fantastic shaver!

2kB5oAU.jpg

Pre-Shave: - Shower & Musgo Real Classic Scent Pre-Shave Oil Soap
Brush: - Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger in Tall Resin Handle 24/50mm
Lather: - Martin de Candre Scented Shaving Soap
Razor: - Fatip with a iKon Bamboo Handle
Blade: - Gillette Silver Blue #3
Post Shave: - Alum Block / T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / TSW Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: - Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male EDT

It time to bring out the Martin de Candre Scented Shaving Soap again since I haven't used it enough for while shame on me when this soap was very pricey, so I better give this baby some extra loving care this afternoon shave before I head out the front door ;) And if I don't give this Martin de Candre Scented Shaving Soap in good used I might as well go
t2412.gif

Slickness isn't its highlight but cushion and scent is. Don't flood it with water but work it in slowly like most veggie soaps. I like to over-load the first time I use a soap so as to "dial-it-in" (like a grinder) with water over progressive shaves.

▲ this...

20160826_SOTDS_zpsbqk2zkx1.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: Above The Tie S1 Colossus
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Lather: Mystic Warer Lime
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

After seeing all these beautiful ATT razors here in the past couple of days, I had use my S1 today - what a great razor!

So smooth, yet so close - a joy to use. The only criticism for me is, it is not as loud as the other ATT razors I have tried so far. Definitely not a deal breaker, but sometimes I miss the lawnmower sound :D

The lather was truly fantastic today, I am still sometimes surprised how much water Mystic Water can take and how drippy it becomes - the proof (picture) is here - what a stellar soap!

I hope you all have a great start into the weekend (y)

cfFqwEE.jpg

Pre: La Toja Pre Shave Soap
Brush: Simpson CH1 SB
Razor: ATT Colossus R1
Cream: Geo F Trumper's Sandalwood
Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood

Man - that looks like a nice shave.

Brush: Wolfwhiskers Ubersoft II
Soap: Tabula Rasa Cardamom
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: Vintage Polsilver
Post: alum, witch hazel, TSW Afterbalm, Myrsol Plastic Shave

Lather was good. I've started loading it very dry, and droplets of water to hydrate the lather.

Now the razor, @Benjamin. During the first pass, I felt like I couldn't feel the blade. The blade feedback certainly isn't quite like the iKon Slant that I am used to. In terms of blade feel, iKon Slant > iKon X3 by quite a fair margin. However, it doesn't mean it's not efficient, it can shave almost like it's older brother, but as @Psmith mentioned, it's smoother. I am really like this razor. Upon the first time looking at the razor head, the aluminium head doesn't look too convincing. But for the price, it sure is hard to beat. I will give the razor a few more goes and then post a more detailed comment.
Sounds like an interesting razor. I'm enjoying hearing your experience of it as well as @Korbz . Thanks!
I have my eye on a X3 with the Bulldog handle and I'm hoping to be able to buy it soon, as a reward for myself if I can succeed in an achievement I'm going for.

2 passes tonight with Boris's older sister Olga the very straight, straight Russian razor. She is a bit rough round the edges but certainly able to scythe down any stubble of any growth pattern.

I also decided to express break in my new Semogue 2000 the other day and it is now totally broken in and a monster lather machine. Tips only in boiling water with a teaspoon of NapiSan until it came to room temperature then lathered in a good shaving soap. I only mention it - I'm not suggesting it :)

Blade - Olga
Soap in Scuttle
Semogue 2000

Big smile.

Razor: Vintage Gillette Fatboy (5)
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (3)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Spiced Mahogany
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

So nice to be able to reach into my soap drawer and pull out a SH soap to use and enjoy :)

How to finish off after that? None other than the classic Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve. A 'drugstore' aftershave with none of the goodies in the artisan stuff - but such richness and complexity in the scent that I'm sure it competes with the best perfumes.

Happy Friday people!
Well Mark,

Fatboy is a classic, blades have a good reputation,Spiced Mahogany & Pinaud Clubman are standouts but you are always using old & dirty handles on your brushes. Lift ya game 'ey?

Status
Not open for further replies.