Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Vintage Gillette Fatboy (5)
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (5)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Klars
Aftershave: Barberry Coast Shaving Co - Havana Balm

Inspired by @Nightguard's sale thread and @Rami's quick pickup of the Klars I gave it another run this morning - great stuff!

Last shave for the Lab Blue - might have to try a Polsiver ...

SJzNvni.jpg

Pre: Occams Original Pre-Shave Soap
Brush: SJOL 28mm
Razor: Merkur Progress, 3.5
Blade: Vintage Schick Plus Platinum
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
After: Stirling Bay Rum Post Shave Balm
Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum

The first day testing a lot of vintage blades that @Mark1966 was kind enough to send my way, in the spirit of things I decided to go back to my trusty progress as it always delivers an on point shave. A particularly generous lather this morning because it was one of those days with a little extra caution in case the 'blast from the past' was particularly sharp.

I went with my usual 2 pass, the blade I must say was significantly better than expected and it delivered an excellent BBS after my customary WTG and XTG passes that was definitely on par with my usual Feather blades. I'm looking forward to a few more shaves with this one to really see what it can do and to test the longevity. I finished up with a healthy amount of post-shave balm to cover the skin then it was on with the Ogallala.

Time for some good coffee before a full day ahead of research and writing amongst other things, such is the life I lead..

Time for some good coffee before a full day ahead of research and writing amongst other things, such is the life I lead..

Lovely shave. Those vintage blades are often surprisingly good.

It's rough that you have to work today instead of meeting up in the mountains. Sorry to hear it mate... Next time.

SOTOD
UTWyayjl.jpg

Above is SOTOD (Shave of the Other Day...)

Today's shave was the usual goodness of "Rosa Bourbon":
Brush: Shavemac 22mm 2-band
Soap: EUFROS by Jabonman Rosa Bourbon Premium
Razor: Kirby Beard
Blade: Polsilver (vintage blade)

The vintage Polsilver seems to be doing well so far. But it's early days yet...

It's rough that you have to work today instead of meeting up in the mountains. Sorry to hear it mate... Next time.

It's a little rough but not unexpected, I went to get milk this morning from the local store and I thought to myself what a beautiful day it is shaping up to be!

You guy's have a fantastic day and I will make sure to join you all in the future :)

Yeah @todras - take your work on the train :)

Hey - Happy shaving :)

IMG_4280.jpg

Brush - Semogue 620
Cream - Simpson's Peppermint and Rosemary
Razor - Merkur 34c
Blade - Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
Post Shave - Witch Hazel, Aesop Neroli Balm

Good shave today!
Just went for a 1 x WTG, 2 x XTG shave. Not quite as close without the ATG pass, but my face is appreciating it. I'm thinking that I should do this more often, I've read of others skipping the XTG pass.
I'm 1 week in with the Semogue 620. I'm struggling to still have good lather on the 3rd pass, but it's improving and so is my technique with it.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!

AB4DA7n.jpg

Pre-Shave: - Shower & Musgo Real Classic Scent Pre-Shave Oil Soap
Brush: - Whipped Dog Silvertip in Resin Handle 24/48mm
Lather: - Mike's Natural Shaving Soap - Hungarian Lavender
Razor: - Fatip with a iKon Bulldog Handle
Blade: - Gillette Silver Blue #4
Post Shave: - Alum Block / T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Natio Maximum Razor Relief Healing Lotion
Fragrance: - Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male EDT

Early sunny morning shave so far I'm really enjoying the Fatip so much thought I should change the handle from the iKon Bamboo to a iKon Bulldog so I can get a good feel of the weight and the handle so far so good, I'm still getting the most closest and smoothest shave ever with the Fatip and for some reason I'm not reaching the R41 v2013 as my brain is badly hooked on the Fatip. Further more the Gillette Silver Blue is still sharp and smooth so I might as well keep going on the Fatip before I wack in a fresh blade soon, and who knows how long the Gillette Silver Blue will last on the Fatip which is bloody strange as I'm not so sure I might wack in a Feather when GSB die down.

20160828_SOTDSSepiaVig_zpsbefmoaux.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: Above The Tie S1 Colossus
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac
Lather: Mike's Lime
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

A sensational Sunday shave with perfect lather (picture here) - I hope you all a have a great Sunday as well (y)

Cold water shave
Brush: Simpsons Berkerley badger
Soap: ShaverHeaven Barbershop
Face lather
Razor: Dovo Inox 5/8 in Pearlex scales

After 7 days using a kamisori the last 2 days I've been very happy returning to my straights. By the end of 7 straight days with the kami I had improved my technique considerbly but returning to familiar routines is always good.

Brush & soap combination was great both days, blade is sharp and 2 of the beat shaves I'd had.

Razor: Standard Razor
Blade: Dorco Prime Platinum (2)
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Soap: WSP Rustic Barbershop
After: The Stray Whisker After Balm

After 5 shaves with the GSB, I had a great baseline to compare to the Dorco Prime Platinum.

Now with the Standard instead of my DE86, and a few months of improving my technique, here's what I found.

The DPP on the first shave is definitely not as sharp, smooth or comfortable as the GSB. It does deliver a decent shave with a little extra effort compared to the GSB. It seems better in the Standard but that could also be my technique improving.

Second shave was an improvement, less harsh, but I'd still rather the GSB on day 5 to be honest. Again, decent shave with a little effort.

Previously the DPP came good on shaves 3&4, so I'll see if that repeats in the next few days.

2016-08-27_07-50-43 by tvrepairzone, on Flickr
Preshave: Musgo Real Glyce soap and Proraso sandalwood preshave cream
Razor: Ikon X3
Blade: Feather
Brush: Kent BLK8
Soap: Stirling Piacenza
Post Shave: Gummy Balm and Acqua di Parma Colonia EDT
The Ikon X3 needs a sharp blade for me as it has very little blade feel. It is a very comfortable razor and after three passes I am smooth and irritation free. The Stirling soap has a beautiful Acqua di Parma scent and performance is excellent. Finished off with the Acqua di Parma EDT. Have a great weekend.

Nice bloom on the brush Osman [emoji106]!

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
Brush: Shavemac Custom 2 Band 24/48mm
Soap: Jabonman Mountain
Razor: iKon DLC Slant with Coated Bamboo Handle - 'The Dark Knight'
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue #3
Post Shave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

A much better lather with the Jabonman. Went to town on my face, really working it up into an excellent lather. Probably pushed it a little far in terms of water, but I got a far slicker lather than I have before. The shave was outstanding. Near BBS after 2 passes and 3 passes gave me an irritation free BBS. Post shave feel is excellent. Impressed.

Pre: eshave pre shave oil
Brush: Simpson Duke 2 "Pure"
Lather: Shaver Heaven Eucalyptus, Catie's Bubbles Mile High Menthol, Glycerine
Razor: Rockwell 6S (3), EJ DE89
Blade: Gillette 7 O' Clock Black

Wasn't able to shave immediately after the shower this evening, so I tried the eshave oil.
Had to change razor's before I finished the first pass, as I was not confident due to the pre-shave routine lacking.
Otherwise all went well, small nick on my bottom lip which the alum sorted out nicely.
Ended up after 3 passes (WTG, XTG, XTG) with a SAS bordering on DFS.

Sunday 28 August 2016

SOTD-28082016.jpg

Italy: Not To Forget

Not to forget. Last week in Italy - central Italy - we had a striking earthquake which literally destroyed some lovely towns near Latium, Marches and Umbria, the latter one is my region. My city - Perugia - was not affected by the tragedy of the quake and we did not report any damage or casualties, although this happened not so far from here. Our thoughts are of course to the ones who lost everything, beloved ones, house and all the things of their lives which has of course changed a lot, maybe forever. My shave of the day is in memory of those who lost their lives because of the quake, sending a strong encouragement to those who are still there and survived to the quake to not give up, despite how hard and terrible this is, we all have to go on and work hard in order to stand up and keep on walking the path of life. I am also sending my gratitude to all firemen, men and women, volunteers and all those who gave a little of their life to help others in this tragedy. Not to forget.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Vitos Verde (Green)
  • Brush: Mastro Livi "Perugia" Synthetic Eco-Silvertip, Bois de Rose Handle, 26mm knot
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Stripes CarboInox Italy, 7/8 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Thyrrenus

0c5e3709807893f693534d1031b41b8e.jpg

Pre: Myrsol Antesol
Brush: Wolfwhiskers Envy White Supreme 26mm
Soap: Stirling Ozark Mountain
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: Vintage Polsilver
Post: alum, witch hazel, TSW After Balm, Stirling Ozark Mountain

First go with the Envy White Supreme brush. Very amazing. It does have the strongest badger funk amongst all the badgers I have tried. I have given it two test lathers and two shampoo washes. Amazing lather from Stirling and Envy White knot. Very happy indeed. The brush sure is big. Love how it isn't ultra dense, makes it easier to work with. It holds a massive amount of lather as well. Comfortably holds 4-5 passes worth of lather. Lovely addition to my brush line up.

With the X3, I am consistently getting great comfortable close shaves. Partially also because I have been on a roll with my lather for the past few days. A fine addition to my rotation. The head profile is slimmer than its other cousin the iKon Slant. I do prefer a slimmer head. Just personal preference.

Finished off with my usual finishers and the wonderful Stirling Ozark Mountain.

Razor: Supply Provisions Injector (3)
Blade: Included injector blade (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Soaps - Barbershop
Aftershave: Barberry Coast Shaving Co - Havana Splash

First shave with the SPI, will keep thoughts until another shave under the belt.

Had to start with the Mikes to ensure a good 'base' for the test :)

[Note: see, the screw is still here!]

Third shave with the X3 and got it right. You can't second guess it, and just need to trust that it will do the job. Got a closer shave with the x3 than I do with the Rockwell #4 and very comfortably. The test will be after 5-6 days if it's too close for a daily shaver.

I love my Myrsol aftershaves, but the B&M aftershave might just be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.