Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tragedy has struck the baldas shave cave!! I can see the bottom of the container of my favourite soap. I will need to make some more on Thursday :)

2 passes and I used the renovated Ever Ready with the new knot - SENSATIONAL - for a badger :)

DFS+ Invicta extreme hollow ground 6/8" finished on my Arkansas Translucent with my "secret" formula honing oil. "Baby oil.

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
Soap: Stirling Barbershop
Brush: Shavemac 24mm 2 Band Silvertip
Razor: Gillette New SC
Blade: Polsilver (1)
Aftershave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Haven't used the SC in a while. It really is a comfortable shave. All class.

Time to wade in (with gusto!) LOL!

1) When you speak about PAA soaps you've got to be clear as there are MANY versions. And so be correct, this isn't PAA but Crown King. Yes, it's still made by Douglas BUT it's a different formulation. I have hear/read that the Crown King soaps perform better than PAA soaps and that's true in my experience. I've used a whole variety of Douglas' soaps (from HTGAM giant tin days to the most recent) and I must say that his latest generation in both PAA and CK are his best yet.

2) The lather for me was very thick and slick. In fact, this lather is easily slicker than CB and (some) SH. And that was with a sample... Granted I did use HALF the sample (which was still probably LESS than most of the blokes here use to generate their meringue lather.. :p ) and I did add in a lot of water.

3) Samples suck. (Just ask Charky!) Don't judge a soap's performance solely on a sample. I usually put the entire sample into a bowl and lather it. I deliberately overload a sample because I know they are notorious for under-performing.

Nothing sparks a debate in wet shaving more than mentioning Douglas! LOL!
tumblr_mr90rfwTDy1sy769zo9_400.gif
Interestingly enough for me I have found the regular PAA formula soaps to work better than the Crown King formula BUT I have only ever tried samples of the Crown King so perhaps that is why.

Pre: Shower
Razor: Rockwell 6S (3)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (7)
Brush: Omega Boar
Soap: Shaver Heaven Oatmeal Stout
After: Alum, Myrsol Formula 'C'

Final shave with the Black 7 O'Clock. Definitely a good blade, not my favourite but definitely good.
The performance from the shaver heaven soap is brilliant. I think I worked out what I don't like about the scent, I think it's the orange peel scent.
Still love the Myrsol, will definitely be getting more of this in the future!
The Boar is feeling great, really loving the experience. Think I like the X3 better than the Rockwell, will have to play with the X3 a lot more though.
8 months in, and still having an absolute ball with this whole experience! :)

Time to wade in (with gusto!) LOL!

1) When you speak about PAA soaps you've got to be clear as there are MANY versions. And so be correct, this isn't PAA but Crown King. Yes, it's still made by Douglas BUT it's a different formulation. I have hear/read that the Crown King soaps perform better than PAA soaps and that's true in my experience. I've used a whole variety of Douglas' soaps (from HTGAM giant tin days to the most recent) and I must say that his latest generation in both PAA and CK are his best yet.

2) The lather for me was very thick and slick. In fact, this lather is easily slicker than CB and (some) SH. And that was with a sample... Granted I did use HALF the sample (which was still probably LESS than most of the blokes here use to generate their meringue lather.. :p ) and I did add in a lot of water.

3) Samples suck. (Just ask Charky!) Don't judge a soap's performance solely on a sample. I usually put the entire sample into a bowl and lather it. I deliberately overload a sample because I know they are notorious for under-performing.

Nothing sparks a debate in wet shaving more than mentioning Douglas! LOL!
tumblr_mr90rfwTDy1sy769zo9_400.gif

A thoughtful and enlightening post @filibilic.
A Forum is best served by honest opinion and robust debate, whilst maintaining respect for opposing opinion, as exhibited in your comments. So much better than other Forums I have viewed which tend to waiver between mutual backslapping or Flame wars between combatants of opposing sycophantic ideals.
I am thankful that our P&C Forum has good humour, honesty, cutting edge technical discussion, camaraderie, and a decent dose of piss-taking if any of us gets too carried away with themselves.

A thoughtful and enlightening post @filibilic.
A Forum is best served by honest opinion and robust debate, whilst maintaining respect for opposing opinion, as exhibited in your comments. So much better than other Forums I have viewed which tend to waiver between mutual backslapping or Flame wars between combatants of opposing sycophantic ideals.
I am thankful that our P&C Forum has good humour, honesty, cutting edge technical discussion, camaraderie, and a decent dose of piss-taking if any of us gets too carried away with themselves.
Agree. I really love reading the posted between you and @eggbert. Especially when you called him Count Cryogen. Hahaha. [emoji23]

"P&C - shaving and piss-taking since 2012"
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Agree. I really love reading the posted between you and @eggbert. Especially when you called him Count Cryogen. Hahaha. [emoji23]
Case in point.

"P&C - shaving and piss-taking since 2012"

Case in point.

And despite the pisstaking, The Lord of the Eggs is a top bloke who has given me many valuable tips, and off his own bat generously donated a selection of vintage blades for me to try out.
It is a little know fact that he sleeps nightly in a bath of liquid helium.

Pre: Myrsol Antesol
Brush: Wolfwhiskers Envy White Supreme
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: GSB
Post: alum, witch hazel, TSW After Balm, Stirling Bay Rum

Loaded a while longer today and spent a some time adding hydration into the lather, bit by bit. Rewarded with a lather that felt amazing, smells amazing, and shaves amazing. I always look forward to shaving with Stirling soaps. Brush is amazing as well, continues to impress.

After yesterday's mishap, the X3 is a truly amazing razor. Smooth and yet it does its job so well. Lather plays a big part as well.

Razor: Vintage Gillette British Flare Tip SuperSpeed
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (2)
Brush: Muhle Synthetic Travel Brush
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Arlington
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Company - Ozark Mountain Balm

Came back to my room last night to find my razor MOVED by the cleaning staff. I wonder if they thought it an oddity? I was a little concerned it may have been damaged - but they seemed to want to take care of it, leaving it like this -

Nice and neat :)

Razor: ATT R1 Atlas
Brush: Shavemac 26mm 2 Band Silvertip
Blade: Polsilver
Cream: I Coloniali
Aftershave: LEA
Post Shave: Myrsol Emulsion

IMG_2538 by cranky, on Flickr

I have some of the IColoniali Rhubarb deodorant in the post at the moment, whats the scent of the cream like ?

Came back to my room last night to find my razor MOVED by the cleaning staff. I wonder if they thought it an oddity? I was a little concerned it may have been damaged - but they seemed to want to take care of it, leaving it like this -

Hopefully no OH&S incidents...

BTW I notice that even though you have (most likely) the largest collection of vintage razors in the Southern Hemisphere, you seem to only use the FatBoy.... This is the only other vintage Gillette I've seen you use recently!
Why?!?
(I thought the #16 Aristocrat is one of your favourite razors? And what about the many others...?!)

@Mark1966 I wouldn't take a Vintage Gillette British Flare Tip SuperSpeed if you're traveling all over Australia or overseas, because these razor worth big money and people will do anything to steal it at a motel or hotel by a cleaner you should have bought a travel razor instead of using your Vintage Gillette British Flare Tip SuperSpeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.