Status
Not open for further replies.
icFhpBw.jpg

Razor: Gem Feather Weight
Blade: Gem
Soap: CRSW
Brush : Ever-Ready 300L restored and reknotted by @bald as
Aftershave: Myrsol Plastic Shave

Super shave to finish off the weekend. Many thanks to Steve for doing such a top job with this brush. I certainly don't claim to be a brush aficionado but i can't fault its performance. Very easily whipped up more than enough lather, felt good on the face, not a single hair shed, lathered well in the bowl and on the face. That's all i want from a brush. This one will get regular use.
I also realized i had been underrating the Feather Weights...Wow!!

Sunday 11 September 2016

SOTD-11092016.jpg

Getting Ready to Go Back Home

I am getting ready to go back home and before leaving it is always my custom to shave. As this Club Razor has been the only one I brought with me in this month's trip, I used again this Mastro Livi's masterpiece for today's shave. Smooth and velvety, giving a very close shave, the privileged ones who own this beauty know what I am talking about. As for the rest, I used my own homemade shaving soap - in my opinion one of the very best soaps I have ever used in my life - as well as the luxurious and fragrant ending touch of one my favorite aftershaves: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Omega Bristle #10275
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Club Razor 2016 CarboInox, 7/8 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

Razor: Vintage Gillette British NEW on TSW 'Bren' Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Platinum Plus (2)
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Man - Cologne Russe Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Barrister & Man - Cologne Russe Tonique Splash

What a way to start the week. Taken a sample of the B&M Cologne Russe for the PCTB4 and it seems that the rest was intended as a gift from a wonderful member here. It is a sensational soap/splash.

We all know that B&M soaps are great performance wise, which is the main thing :), but this combination also has a great scent - very classy and Mrs Mark1966 approves. The Tonique aftershave splash is great too, a solid performer with a great face feel after application.

The NEW Bren is a really nice combination - an efficient but not R41 aggro razor. This is certainly a keeper for me!

f1ba754373fda9e1728e3df1c98d999a.jpg

Proraso pre
Omega boar
Mystic Waters Lime
Muhle R41 (2011) on UFO TiTan
Gillette yellow blade
Alum
Myrsol Lemon
TSW After Balm
Creed OV

Monday morning shaves after a weekend of facial rest are my favourite. The R41 is always up to the challenge.

It's taken me a while to get the hang of the Mystic Waters soaps. Really enjoying them now. As many of you know - don't rush and gradually add more and more water!

Last edited:
XhX3xmLl.jpg

Brush: Shavemac #177
Soap: Beaver Woodwright Ghost Ship
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat
Blade: Personna Blue [3]
After-shave: Beaver Woodwright Ghost Ship splash
Scent: Terre D'Hèrmes EDT

Date: 12th September 2016
iqwZTug.jpg

Pre-Shave: - Shower & Musgo Real Classic Scent Pre-Shave Oil Soap
Brush: - Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger in Tall Resin Handle 24/50mm
Lather: - Pre De Provence No. 63 Shave Soap
Razor: - Fatip with The Stray Whisker "Howitzer" Handle
Blade: - Voskhod #3
Post Shave: - Alum Block / T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Splash

2016-09-12_08-10-19 by tvrepairzone, on Flickr
Preshave: Musgo Real glyce soap and Proraso sandalwood preshave cream
Razor: Weber Polished Head on an Ikon Handle
Blade: Polsilver SI(3)
Brush: Shavemac 177
Soap: Mystic Water Sweet Briar
Post Shave: Natio Balm and Myrsol Agua Balsamica and Bulgari Man EDT
There can be no better way to start the working week than with a great three pass shave. Everything was just a joy. Soap performance to the blade and razor combination. Left me smooth and smelling very nice.

Razor: DE86 + TSW 'Bren' SS handle
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (2)
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Soap: B&M Latha Limon
After: TSW After Balm

Swapped back to the DE86 (really a DE89 head on a different handle) to take the Bren for a spin.
Had the Ladas in this for one shave just before the Polsilvers arrived, first one I have used from the sample pack.

Whole bunch of 'new' things in this shave - lovely new TSW Bren handle adds some weight to the razor which really changes the dynamics of the razor. Can definitely let the weight of the razor do the work with this handle.

New Latha soap, which latha'd quite well although I suspect I can do better with practice.

And then the Ladas blade, and as my old Dad used to say "After the Lord Mayor's show comes the poop cart". Possibly not quite that polite ;)

Three passes and a lot of cleanup and it's just an acceptable shave. I'll have to try one of the blades in the Standard, just in case, but this was a very ordinary blade. First shave with it was nothing spectacular, and this second shave wasn't any better, I'll happily bin it at this point.

9497f9abe18851a5e27fe1f9e37a0336.jpg

Pre: Musgo Real Lime Oil soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip
Soap: Tabula Rasa Tangerine & Vetiver
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Schick Plus Platinum (1)
A/S: None

The usual suspects, but with first runs for the blade and soap. The Tabula Rasa soaps are more firm creams than soft soaps; try to bloom one and you end up with clotted cream. I find that about 20 secs of swirling with a wettish brush and then on to fath lathering. It performs beautifully, and has a lovely scent. I detect some similarity to the Steampunk, but is milder and the tangerine freshens things up.
The vintage Schick blade was a ripper - nice feel and mowed through the whiskers effortlessly.
The lather and blade worked so well together that I did a 3 pass shave and clean-up to BBS.
No irritation at all, and a great post shave feel.

Nice pics guys. I particularly like the little hint of more to come with the 'By Appointment to H.R.H ...' at the bottom of yours @TomG - piqued my curiosity!

Razor: Vintage Gillette British NEW on TSW 'Bren' Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Platinum Plus (3)
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Simpson 'The Duke'
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Man - Cologne Russe Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Barrister & Man - Cologne Russe Tonique Splash

Sometimes you just get a combination and go - yep, this is it.

Yep, this is it.

Yesterday's shave:

Pre-Shave: Shower
Razor: Edwin Jagger Kelvin
Blade: Polsilver SI (5)
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven - 1st Anniversary Soap
Brush: Mühle Silvertip Fibre V2.0
A/S: Nivea Men Original After Shave Splash
ASB: Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm
Cologne: Hugo Boss Bottled Intense
Post-Routine: hot rinse, alum, cold rinse, splash, dry skin, balm, cologne

Today:

Pre-Shave: Shower
Razor: Edwin Jagger Kelvin
Blade: Polsilver SI (6)
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann - Cologne Russe
Brush: Maggard Razors 22mm Synthetic
A/S: Nivea Men Sensitive After Shave Splash
ASB: Chatillon Lux - Gratiot League Square
Post-Routine: hot rinse, alum, cold rinse, splash, dry skin, balm

Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
Soap:Barrister & Mann 42
Brush: Thater 4125/3 2 Band
Razor: iKon Tech
Blade: Voskhod (1)
A/S: Alum, Floid

After a couple of excellent shaves with the Rockwell, I fancied pitting my wits against the Tech again. It really does have a stupidly large blade exposure. I nailed the prep and the B&M Glissant formula was perfect for this. I have a sense with this razor that unless you use a very steep angle it doesn't shave as close as the R41. The R41 gives me a DFS after 1 pass, but the Tech needed 3 passes to get a great BBS. The thing was though, absolutely zero irritation or weepers. Alum felt smooth. I guess I won this round.
I like having this razor in my arsenal, and it gives a wonderful shave. But the risk reward ratio is too great. I'm more likely to cut myself with this razor than any other I own (not nick, actual cut.) The safety bar seems to be just for show. The R41 gives as good a shave (for me) with less chance of disaster. I will persevere though. It's a fun razor to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.