Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
@nsavage understood I mean the how the performance of the brush while you face lather.
I find the brush to be nice and soft with a reasonable amount of backbone. My only complaint is that I would personally set the knot a bit lower but I am just being picky. The brush is not overly dense and therefore has good flow through and quickly and easily generates a nice lather. The brush is a keeper for sure.

I have some brushes coming that I will be sharing photos of over the coming weeks ;)

Pre: Myrsol Antesol
Brush: SOC
Soap: SdM
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: Vintage Polsilver
Post: alum, witch hazel, TSW After Balm, Myrsol Plastic Shave

Still not exactly in love with the SDM. First pass was great, second not so =(

Got a decent shave, but not as close as I'd like. Got a couple of nicks, didn't want to push too far for a closer shave.

PJkiB71.jpg

SOTD Tabac Tuesday (20/9/2016)

Pre: Hot shower/Clinique Face Soap
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Voskhod (3rd use)
Brush: Semogue 610
Soap/Cream: Tabac Shave Stick
AS: Thayer’s Lemon/Tabac AS
Balm: Tabac AS Balm

dTw5uO4.jpg

Pre: La Toja
Brush: Occam's 24mm SB
Razor: Above The Tie- Colossus R1
Blade: Feather
Soap: Stirling - Barbershop
Balm: Stirling - Barbershop Post Shave Balm
AShave: Stirling - Barbershop Aftershave Splash

Pre-Shave: Shower
Razor: Edwin Jagger Kelvin
Blade: Polsilver SI (1)
Soap/Cream: Mystic Water - Irish Traveller
Brush: Maggard Razors
ASB: The Body Shop For Men Maca Root Razor Relief
Post-Routine: hot rinse, alum, cold rinse, balm

Another day with Mystic Water - another disaster. Even worser than it was yesterday with Mike's. I've got no idea what went wrong. I think I was following all instructions and videos. Put a bit of water on top of the soap, soaked the brush, squeezed it and shook it to get rid of excessive water. Loaded a lot. Started to making lather. Added water slowly by a few drops every time and then worked it. I was doing that till I saw the water was about to make lather too wet with noticeable bubbles. But still got quite bad burn from alum.

I'm not giving up yet. It's just drives me crazy. I read and heard so many excellent review on Mike's and Mystic Water, but I simply cannot get even slightly close results to what I get from B&M or Shaver Heaven, not counting Haslinger and Fine. Tomorrow I'll give myself a rest and use Haslinger and on Thursday will try Mystic Water again.

Another day with Mystic Water - another disaster. Even worser than it was yesterday with Mike's. I've got no idea what went wrong. I think I was following all instructions and videos. Put a bit of water on top of the soap, soaked the brush, squeezed it and shook it to get rid of excessive water. Loaded a lot. Started to making lather. Added water slowly by a few drops every time and then worked it. I was doing that till I saw the water was about to make lather too wet with noticeable bubbles. But still got quite bad burn from alum.

I'm not giving up yet. It's just drives me crazy. I read and heard so many excellent review on Mike's and Mystic Water, but I simply cannot get even slightly close results to what I get from B&M or Shaver Heaven, not counting Haslinger and Fine. Tomorrow I'll give myself a rest and use Haslinger and on Thursday will try Mystic Water again.

Mystic Waters can be a bit challenging if you are fairly new to wet-shaving, I think @alfredus mentioned this to you when I mentioned the Coconut Sandalwood initially. Stick with it though, it is a fantastic soap particularly in the new formulation. I will post some lather shots of both soaps for you when I get a chance, I'm betting you get it dialed in eventually and will never look back :)

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce
Brush: WolfWhiskers Black Synth Beehive
Soap: Santa Maria del Fiore
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (4)

36 hours after shaving with the iKon Tech and I barely need a shave. But that has never stopped me before. The X3 did a stellar job with no irritation or weepers. I'm still on the fence about SMdF. It performed perfectly adequately, and I like the scent, it's just that it's not a soap I'm excited to use. Stay tuned B/S/T. One thing that won't be seeing the B/S/T is the Wolf Whiskers brush. I really like this black synthetic knot. It looks cool and produces an excellent lather.

Mate you must have a dud batch. Send it over here and I'll sort it out. ;) Seriously though, happy to trade (see my SOTD).

I am really sorry to hear that, but also really glad you don't give up @dewynter (y)

First of all stick to one at first - don't mix them up. Although similar, I think Mike's is a bit more intuitive and therefore I would recommend you to stick with Mike's.

If you have one in the original Mike's container - use that - the best sized container to lather IMO. If you just have a sample - press it flat into the bottom of a container, so at the end you have the same surface area as with a normal puck -this is VERY important, else you have to load forever.

OK, soak/wet the brush, squeeze it out (no need to shake after) add a couple drops of water to the soap and start loading. If nothing happens, or the sound is really pasty, add some more drops. Load until sound becomes pasty - add a couple drops - repeat.

Do it, until the lather on the puck is the way you want it! That's correct, none of that proto-lather nonsense - the lather on the puck after the load should be shave ready!

Now your brush is fully loaded and the lather inside your brush is too dry. So take it to your face/bowl and now you can build the whole lather by adding water - it takes a lot! I prefer mostly paint motions to build, then dip the brush into water, then a couple of circle motions to mix in the already hydrated lather on the outside with the dry lather from the inside of the brush - and then again paint strokes to build.

If you have time - do it tonight for practice - so there is not pressure that you have to use it...I know this sounds silly, but in the morning you are usually under time constraints etc. Once you have it and know how it looks - it is super easy to repeat and you will laugh at yourself, why you had problems - I have been there as well and almost gave up on Mike's...

Hope this helps and enjoy (y)

2016-09-20_08-23-03 by tvrepairzone, on Flickr
Preshave: Musgo Real Glyce soap
Razor: Weber PH on an Ikon handle
Blade: Vintage Polsilver (3)
Brush: Kent(BLK8)
Soap: Henri et Victoria Absinthe
Post Shave: Natio Balm, Myrsol Agua Balsamica and Bulgari Man Extreme
After yesterdays stellar shave I was still pretty smooth today but as @Psmith says that shouldn't stop you. Just a lovely two pass clean up.

Status
Not open for further replies.