Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-Shave: Myrsol Emulsion
Razor: The Rock #3
Blade: Rapira Chrome (3)
Brush: RR Monster Synth
Soap: Blackship Phillip's Fougere
Post-shave: Thayers Super Medicated & Blackship Phillip's Fougere & Yenda Golden Ale

First use of the Fougere and it wouldn't have been one I picked for myself (Mother went to NY and stopped by Pasteur's - love the woman). It has almost a citrus twist upfront by dry down on the aftershave leaves the lavender and oakmoss (I didn't really get much lavender until then tbh). Very fresh scent and will be great in summer.

Yenda Golden Ale reminds me of 150 lashes... very glad I can get it as part of my salary now :)

a555652123c7e08798d471bbdb326a9e.jpg

Brush: Chubby 2 Manchurian
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat 66
Blade: Wilkinson Super Sword
Soap: Le Pere Lucien
A/S: GFT Skinfood
Cologne: GFT Wellington

Forgot how much I love the scent of LpL. The GFT Wellington is a near perfect match for scent.

a921ab5d8c0aa3122a2efcc4090253bd.jpg

Pre: Top Seven emulsion
Brush: SOC
Soap: MdC
Razor: HG Razor Custom kamisori
Post: alum, witch hazel, TSW After Balm, Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Fantastic lather delivered by MdC. Thick, creamy and very slick. Ever since the discovery of the emulsion, my shaves keep getting better and better. I did my first ATG today, on my lower chin, which is my most troubled spot. No problems!

2 pass with touch up, achieved a very close and comfortable shave. No nicks today, which I am very happy about. Keeps getting better.

bdc197c54118aee05a38ff704b62c7b8.jpg

Pre: Musgo Real Lime Oil soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Soap: Tabula Rasa Steampunk
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Silver (3)
EDT: Steampunk

Breakin' out the Berlin Magic with Steampunk. Amazing scent and nice suds.
This Vintage Super Silver blade has me scratching my head. The feel on the face is a bit rough (similar to when a blade starts to lose its edge), but it is only the third shave, and every one has been DFS or better with zero blood and stellar post shave feel with three different soaps.
I'll see how it goes on the next couple of runs - interesting.

Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on 'Bren' SS Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson reknotted in Pure
Soap/Cream: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary "Settantesimo" Shave Soap
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary "Settantesimo" Aftershave

Ahhh, nice :)

Date: 02 October 2016

Pre-Shave: - Shower & Musgo Real Classic Scent Pre-Shave Oil Soap
Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm
Lather: - Pre De Provence No. 63 Shave Soap
Razor: - Fatip with The Stray Whisker "Howitzer" Handle
Blade: - Wilkinson Sword from Germany #1
Post Shave: - Alum Block / T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Speick Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: - Hugo Boss Intense EDT

OkuGeF1.jpg

Pre: Occams Original Pre Shave Soap
Brush: Doug Korn D7 TGN Finest
Razor: Progress, 3.5
Blade: Polsilver SI
Soap: Barrister & Mann - Cheshire
Balm: Chatillon Lux - Fourth & Pine
Splash: Barrister & Mann - Cologne Russe

A nice, relaxed long weekend shave with the beautiful smelling Cheshire from B&M, the scent being very close to Earl Grey and the performance of the usual high standard. I switched out the 'Polly' today and dropped it into the trusty progress, it did a great job for it's second shave and certainly no complaints in that regard aside from the observation that personally I would say they are not quite as sharp as Feathers.

Finished the innings up with some Fourth and Pine and a nice generous splash of Cologne Russe - this one is really becoming one of my favourites from B+M, it has a very interesting complexity that I find appealing and it endures on the face.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Pre: Musgo Real Lime Oil soap
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger
Soap: Stirling Ozark Mountain
Razor: iKon DLC Slant 'The Dark Knight'
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (1)

I haven't used the Chubby for a while and damn, it's a good brush. Loaded like crazy with Stirling and spent a long time creating lather to achieve excellent results. I do think that if I was limited to only one shaving soap maker I would choose Stirling. Just excellent, slick lather every time. Lather shots here.
The DLC Slant has more blade feel than the X3 and needs more focus, but I prefer it by quite a margin (watch the B/S/T for the X3). An effortless BBS with no need for buffing.

OkuGeF1.jpg

A nice, relaxed long weekend shave with the beautiful smelling Cheshire from B&M, the scent being very close to Earl Grey and the performance of the usual high standard. I switched out the 'Polly' today and dropped it into the trusty progress, it did a great job for it's second shave and certainly no complaints in that regard aside from the observation that personally I would say they are not quite as sharp as Feathers.

Finished the innings up with some Fourth and Pine and a nice generous splash of Cologne Russe - this one is really becoming one of my favourites from B+M, it has a very interesting complexity that I find appealing and it endures on the face.
How was the new brush? Looks spectacular.

How was the new brush? Looks spectacular.

I am a bowl latherer on most occasions but today I face lathered for a change - it is always a good way of 'testing the mettle' of a new brush I find.

It's a great brush, the bristles as to be expected are incredibly gentle on the skin and quite surprisingly it has more back bone than I would have suspected at first sight. The handle design is fantastic for loading and as I bowl/scuttle lather the handle length will be ideal for that, a very good design with great curved. It's a solid, well made piece.

I am very happy with the brush, it will be with me for a long time I would say and I think myself fortunate to have had the opportunity to acquire it.

Finished the innings up with ...a nice generous splash of Cologne Russe - this one is really becoming one of my favourites from B+M, it has a very interesting complexity that I find appealing and it endures on the face.
Terrific shave!
Both the soap and splash are worth getting. The soap is another spectacular performing B&M product. Using the soap followed by the splash builds the scent and so enhances the overall shave.
@Mark1966 will back me up on this- it's a B&M combo that definitely worth it.
(And it is one of the two favourites of Will's own products...)

I will pick up the Cologne Russe soap sometime @filobiblic, I have had a big week of acquisitions this week (3 brushes, 3 soaps from the US, etc, etc) with a promise I made myself on Friday to not do any more spending, which I promptly broke when you kindly sent me that ebay link that was simply too good to ignore!

I will put the soap on my list, that's fore sure :)

I am a bowl latherer on most occasions but today I face lathered for a change - it is always a good way of 'testing the mettle' of a new brush I find.

It's a great brush, the bristles as to be expected are incredibly gentle on the skin and quite surprisingly it has more back bone than I would have suspected at first sight. The handle design is fantastic for loading and as I bowl/scuttle lather the handle length will be ideal for that, a very good design with great curved. It's a solid, well made piece.

I am very happy with the brush, it will be with me for a long time I would say and I think myself fortunate to have had the opportunity to acquire it.

Very glad you enjoy it @todras (y)

Terrific shave!
Both the soap and splash are worth getting. The soap is another spectacular performing B&M product. Using the soap followed by the splash builds the scent and so enhances the overall shave.
@Mark1966 will back me up on this- it's a B&M combo that definitely worth it.
(And it is one of the two favourites of Will's own products...)

Yep - the CR is a great combination!

Yesterdays shave:

Pre: Shower, Proraso Green Pre/Post
Soap: MWF
Brush: Omega Boar
Blade: Rapira Chrome (2)
Razor: iKon X3

Nice 3 pass shave. Nothing terribly exciting or eventful. Just a nice way to start the day!

Today's shave:

Pre: Shower, Proraso Green Pre/Post
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Simpson Duke 2 "Pure"
Blade: Ladas (1)
Razor: Gillette Open Comb
Post: Alum, Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary, TSW After Balm

Very nice shave this morning. Was under slight time constraints, but still enjoyed my time.
The Ladas blade is tame enough to be used on a daily basis, or after shaving the previous day.
The SV 70th anniversary smells great, and is perfect for the spring weather!

OkuGeF1.jpg

Now that's a nice shave.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Pre: Musgo Real Lime Oil soap
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger
Soap: Stirling Ozark Mountain
Razor: iKon DLC Slant 'The Dark Knight'
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (1)

I haven't used the Chubby for a while and damn, it's a good brush. Loaded like crazy with Stirling and spent a long time creating lather to achieve excellent results. I do think that if I was limited to only one shaving soap maker I would choose Stirling. Just excellent, slick lather every time. Lather shots here.
The DLC Slant has more blade feel than the X3 and needs more focus, but I prefer it by quite a margin (watch the B/S/T for the X3). An effortless BBS with no need for buffing.
I can almost smell the Ozark coming off that photo! Nice work, Smithy.

Status
Not open for further replies.