Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Psmith inspired this the other day when he posted a SOTD featuring Ghost Ship by Black Ship Grooming Co (formerly Beaver Woodright). The soap is very soft and lathers quite differently to the majority of soaps that I use regularly but still produces an great lather. The scent on this soap is unbelievable (I know how important this is to you @bald as). As for the after shave if you are looking for an after shave that performs well and has a long lasting scent this is the one to go for. Some 12-13 hours after shaving I can still smell the after shave on my hands and boy does it smell great! Another stellar shave!

OKfryhe.jpg

Last edited:
Wednesday 23 November 2016

SOTD-24112016.jpg

Mastro Livi Club Razor & Shave Brush

Mastro Livi Club Razor and Shave Brush 2016 edition together at last! Monday I picked up my Club Shave Brush and this is the first time I am using it. Of course, the inauguration of this awesome brush had to be with his "club brother straight razor" and I could not make a better choice. This Mastro Livi Club Shave Brush is absolutely awesome and perfect, having a wonderful loft with a beautiful backbone that easily mounted a rich and luxurious lather out from the revered P.160 Professional shave soap. A memorable shave, done in my usual three passes, with impeccable hardware and software, amazing brush and razor, superlative soap and aftershave. An absolutely perfect shave!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: P.160 Professional
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Club Super Silvertip Badger 2016, Poplar - Black Ebony - Stainless Steel - Lapislazzuli Handle, 26mm knot
  • Bowl: Bamboo bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Club Razor 2016 CarboInox, 7/8 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd The Genuine

Prwf6J0.jpg

Doug Korn D7 TGN
Gillette Slim
Feather
L&L Chatillon Lux - TSM Fougère Shave Soap
Chatillon Lux - TSM Fougère Salve
Chatillon Lux - TSM Fougère Aftershave

Skipped the pre-shave this morning with no noticeable difference, a very rich and cushioned lather from the L&L with a nice traditional scent from Chatillon Lux. 2 passes and we were good to go, a nice generous application of salve then the aftershave.

Have a great day cobbers, be your bloody best :)

Prwf6J0.jpg

Doug Korn D7 TGN
Gillette Slim
Feather
L&L Chatillon Lux - TSM Fougère Shave Soap
Chatillon Lux - TSM Fougère Salve
Chatillon Lux - TSM Fougère Aftershave

Skipped the pre-shave this morning with no noticeable difference, a very rich and cushioned lather from the L&L with a nice traditional scent from Chatillon Lux. 2 passes and we were good to go, a nice generous application of salve then the aftershave.

Have a great day cobbers, be your bloody best :)

Great shave @todras you little bloody ripper [emoji13]

Last edited by a moderator:
Shower, Proraso Red Pre
Feather AC DX non folding + Pro Blade
Proraso Red Soap
Proraso Brush
Witch Hazel, Vit E oil

Proraso Red Thursday - just need to get their AS to round it out! I took up the challenge from @bald as and limited myself to just one pass WTG (plus touch ups), done with care and attention. This blade is very different from the guarded version - with that I would have had to go back again but here I got a CCS overall, with DFS in many places. Really hard to stop myself going for another pass though - all that effort making lather in this brush that would have been sufficient for 5 passes and then rinsing most of it down the sink! Still, my lathering has been getting better so it was a very luxurious experience. I'm basically loading a damp brush and then keep adding water and working it until it is just about to fall apart. Will have to post up some lather shots when I remember my phone...

No cuts, no irritation (no alum - that stuff gave me close to an allergic reaction...) and my rash has subsided. Shaved the top off a previous scar again but nothing major. Starting to love what this blade can do...

Pre: Occams Crushed Lime Soap
Blade: Kirkuboshi 6/8 Full, Square
Brush: T's Turnings "The Joker" handle with 20mm New Forest 3band badger (my name for it, not TT's)
Soap: Well, lets not talk about that.
Splash: Brut 33
Balm: TSW After Balm.

Drove home from my Sons graduation via Bunnings so I could pick up some Marine Epoxy to mate the for-so-long-now knot with the recently received @Tony Forsyth handle. Managed to find what I needed and got the job done. It was with much eagerness I lathered it up this morning with a new handle and I had quite forgotten what the knot was like! Whilst it's been a while since I have used a small knot, I am happy to say the knot is good, nice flow through, good backbone although the tips could be little softer. Not scratchy though and no a problem. I very much like the handle shape. It feels good in the hand and the lip above the waist line catches small drips - I HATE wet hands when shaving. So, I am one happy customer with yet another brush in the rotation and some more on the way. Lets see what comes next! Yes, I will get some pictures on the weekend when I have a chance to do it properly.

(no alum - that stuff gave me close to an allergic reaction...)

People rave about Alum, but for me it is like rubbing nuclear waste on my skin. I react very badly to it.
Glad to hear you are enjoying the razor. It is really surprising what you can accomplish with a single pass. Excellent training in the slow down department. :)

People rave about Alum, but for me it is like rubbing nuclear waste on my skin. I react very badly to it.
Glad to hear you are enjoying the razor. It is really surprising what you can accomplish with a single pass. Excellent training in the slow down department. :)

Good to hear I'm not the only one. I thought I must be shaving off my skin with this blade but nope - it was just the alum! Thanks for your helpful suggestions...

Razor: Vintage Gillette British NEW head on TSW Bren Handle
Blade: Vintage English Wilkie (1)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Brush with Envy White 24mm knot set at 50mm
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Shaving Soap - Barbershop
Aftershave: APR - les généraux du grand livre

Great shave and great splash - review here: Australian Private Reserve - Review Thread

Razor: PAA Prismatic (great value and great preforming razor)
Blade: Polsilver
Brush: Paladin PK47 disco with 26mm knot
Soap: Shaver Heaven Hubba Hubba
After: Stray Whisker after shave balm and alum

Haven't posted a shave of the day for a while.

Great two pass shave. Was second time using the brush and man is it soft but yet with good backbone as well.

Shaver heaven Hubba Hubba was my first Shaver Heaven soap (this is not the original tub) and I can't fault it in any way.

IMG_2441

Pre: Occams Crushed Lime Soap
Blade: Kirkuboshi 6/8 Full, Square
Brush: T's Turnings "The Joker" handle with 20mm New Forest 3band badger (my name for it, not TT's)
Soap: Well, lets not talk about that.
Splash: Brut 33
Balm: TSW After Balm.

Drove home from my Sons graduation via Bunnings so I could pick up some Marine Epoxy to mate the for-so-long-now knot with the recently received @Tony Forsyth handle. Managed to find what I needed and got the job done. It was with much eagerness I lathered it up this morning with a new handle and I had quite forgotten what the knot was like! Whilst it's been a while since I have used a small knot, I am happy to say the knot is good, nice flow through, good backbone although the tips could be little softer. Not scratchy though and no a problem. I very much like the handle shape. It feels good in the hand and the lip above the waist line catches small drips - I HATE wet hands when shaving. So, I am one happy customer with yet another brush in the rotation and some more on the way. Lets see what comes next! Yes, I will get some pictures on the weekend when I have a chance to do it properly.

Any pics of the finished Joker ;)

Great two pass shave. Was second time using the brush and man is it soft but yet with good backbone as well.

Shaver heaven Hubba Hubba was my first Shaver Heaven soap (this is not the original tub) and I can't fault it in any way.

IMG_2441
Beautiful Paladin (y)

20161124_SOTD_S_Sepia_zpsewgpi5w2.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S-1 Colossus
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Paladin Chief Purple Haze
Lather: Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Another wonderful shave with this razor/blade combo and it has definitely passed the test of being my travel buddy over Christmas. The lather was so shiny today (picture here) and delivered on all points - I hope you have a great day you pujwI' (y)

IMG_2441
Awesome brush @SydBJW !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.