Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice shave - what do you think of the Don Miguel @Mark1966 ? I tried a splash but seems pretty OTT floral??

Yes, it is VERY jasmine. It reminds me of something, which I still cannot identify, so everytime I use it I'm distracted by that thought - it may be the saving grace for it for me :)

Yes, it is VERY jasmine. It reminds me of something, which I still cannot identify, so everytime I use it I'm distracted by that thought - it may be the saving grace for it for me :)
VERY jasmine - I think Im going to be swarmed by bees every time I use it!

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 23 November 2016

Brush: - Omega 10065 Green Handle 24/54mm
Lather: - Arko Shaving Soap
Razor: - iKon X3 Slant with The Stray Whisker "Howitzer" Handle
Blade: - Gillette Silver Blue #3
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / WAHL Bay Rum Aftershave

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 23 November 2016

Brush: - Omega 10065 Green Handle 24/54mm
Lather: - Arko Shaving Soap
Razor: - iKon X3 Slant with The Stray Whisker "Howitzer" Handle
Blade: - Gillette Silver Blue #3
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / WAHL Bay Rum Aftershave
Are you ready to give us some thoughts on how the X3 is going for you @SpeedyPC?

Are you ready to give us some thoughts on how the X3 is going for you @SpeedyPC?

Okay @nsavage I'll do my very best as I'm not very good giving out reviews ;)

I've been scratching my head trying to find out why? this X3 doesn't feel any blade at all while shaving somehow amazes me and strange going WTG, while I just let this baby glide on my face with all the weight and zero pressure and I can't feel the cutting during my shave compare to all my other razors I've own. However there is a small irritation on the right side of my cheeks going XTG which can be a little tricky to find the correct angle during my shave because the safety bar is quite huge I mean thick :eek:, I've managed to shave under the nose going XTG with the X3 is wasn't too bad as I find the open comb gets everything under the nose going XTG far better than the X3 is strange.

Shaving XTG & ATG under my whole bloody neck & chin is like WOW!!!:eek: super smooth without any irritation as the slant angle makes a lot easy on the neck area while shaving, the X3 is a real keeper for me thanks @nsavage also I will compare two more slant coming in mail is the RazoRock Wunderbar Slant and the Fine Superlight Slant very soon.

Cheers;)

I get confused with the stupid names of "Fresh Vetiver" and "Clean Vetiver" but think I prefer the "Fresh".

I do too, the funny thing is neither of them smell to me like much of a Vetiver!

A really nicescent though and I really like the 'Clean' despite it's short duration, don't get me wrong but I just don't get the deep, mossy notes from either of them personally.

IMG_0797_zpsse1ujlov.jpg

Feather AC DX with Pro blade (4)
MWF
Omega 80266 boar
Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive ASB

Still dealing with yesterday's rash so took my time for a very light 2 pass WTG CCS today. Much better result - only a couple of tiny weepers and no cuts - didn't need the styptic gel or Vit E oil! Palm stropping the blade lightly seems to help a bit. My first outing with "The Fat" and I have to say I love this soap. I just used it like a shave stick on my wet face and then loaded on the brush - no blooming and didn't need it. Fantastic lather and post shave feel - it's slick without being oily. Just what my face needed today. Likewise the WH and Nivea ASB didn't make my rash any worse than it was when I started. A win!

IMG_0797_zpsse1ujlov.jpg

Feather AC DX with Pro blade (4)
MWF
Omega 80266 boar
Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive ASB

Still dealing with yesterday's rash so took my time for a very light 2 pass WTG CCS today. Much better result - only a couple of tiny weepers and no cuts - didn't need the styptic gel or Vit E oil! Palm stropping the blade lightly seems to help a bit. My first outing with "The Fat" and I have to say I love this soap. I just used it like a shave stick on my wet face and then loaded on the brush - no blooming and didn't need it. Fantastic lather and post shave feel - it's slick without being oily. Just what my face needed today. Likewise the WH and Nivea ASB didn't make my rash any worse than it was when I started. A win!

@RazorPlay if you want to make MWF into a shaving stick get yourself a plastic empty shaving stick container and grated the fat and you've got yourself a MWF shave stick ;)
shave-soap-stick-container__88972.1461763564.600.600.jpg

@RazorPlay if you want to make MWF into a shaving stick get yourself a plastic empty shaving stick container and grated the fat and you've got yourself a MWF shave stick ;)

Cheers - I find just using the MWF puck is faster than using a normal shaving stick. I just think of it as a very wide and short shaving stick... More surface area = very quick loading on the face! It also seems to ready the puck for brush loading as well, so loading a lot of product in a short period of time is very easy, then face lathering by adding water slowly is also easy.

I do too, the funny thing is neither of them smell to me like much of a Vetiver!

A really nicescent though and I really like the 'Clean' despite it's short duration, don't get me wrong but I just don't get the deep, mossy notes from either of them personally.
I agree - just a very light fresh scent ...your are right though, only lasts a few hours for me at best.

Okay @nsavage I'll do my very best as I'm not very good giving out reviews ;)

I've been scratching my head trying to find out why? this X3 doesn't feel any blade at all while shaving somehow amazes me and strange going WTG, while I just let this baby glide on my face with all the weight and zero pressure and I can't feel the cutting during my shave compare to all my other razors I've own. However there is a small irritation on the right side of my cheeks going XTG which can be a little tricky to find the correct angle during my shave because the safety bar is quite huge I mean thick :eek:, I've managed to shave under the nose going XTG with the X3 is wasn't too bad as I find the open comb gets everything under the nose going XTG far better than the X3 is strange.

Shaving XTG & ATG under my whole bloody neck & chin is like WOW!!!:eek: super smooth without any irritation as the slant angle makes a lot easy on the neck area while shaving, the X3 is a real keeper for me thanks @nsavage also I will compare two more slant coming in mail is the RazoRock Wunderbar Slant and the Fine Superlight Slant very soon.

Cheers;)
Great review mate! I would love to see some more reviews from you as well.

I felt exactly teh same way about the X3 as you do although I didn't get any real irritation. It is similar in shave feel to both the iKon 102 and the Stealth Slant in regards to the blade feel and for a razor that feels so mild on the face it is surprisingly efficient.

You will find that the Wunderbar is similar with a bit more blade feel. Obviously it is also a lot heavier. I love the Wunderbar and think you will as well.

The Fine Superlite will be quite a different razor. There is a lot more blade feel and it is significantly more aggressive as well. The other thing to bear in mind is that it is extremely light so do not be tempted to add unnecessary pressure. For me the Fine Superlite is an outstanding razor for the money.

Last night's Balm: The Stray Whisker

Today's Shave;
Occams Crushed Lime Pre Soap.
Shavemac 24mm Custom
Kirkuboshi 6/8
Shaver Heaven Absolution
PAA CaD

I really think I am onto something (for me) here. I have been using another product before bed but the last three nights changed over to TSW After Balm and apply, usually twice, until it stops soaking in. Co-incidentally I started using the Occams soap again. The next day, the post shave "face feels like a dry lake bed" is gone replaced with soft, moist, comfortable feeling skin. Irritation is gone. I think the TSW is they key here despite the re-introduction of the soap to the routine. I will continue like this and see if it continues consistently, then if so I will go back to my old balm and see if the dryness comes back in an attempt to pin point the cure. Not that it really matters... fun times!

Mf336ux.jpg

SOTN (21/11/2016)
(Girlfriend’s Soap & Brush)

Pre:
Hot shower/Aesop Face Wash
Razor: RazoRock Teck II
Blade: Feather (1x)
Brush: Maggard Purple Synth
Soap/Cream: B&M Velvet
AS: Thayer’s Lemon
Balm: St. James Lavender
Fragrance: None

The composition of this photo with the Norman Gunston Memorial Roll having pride of place is sensational ;)

Close, smooth and comfortable and all from a single pass with my Invicta 6/8" extra hollow ground.
Possibly 5 minutes for my shave tonight but 5 super satisfying straight shaving minutes.
Boar brush of course :) and a really nice home brew soap.
Easily DFS with no irritation and one magic pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.