Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RazorPlay you have been rocking that feather for a while now. I was very tempted to pick one up in Japan but decided against it, I find stropping relaxing.

Last edited by a moderator:
@RazorPlay you have been rocking that feather for a while now. I was very tempted to pick one up in Japan but decided against it, I find stropping relaxing.

Yep - if I stop using my Feather then my only alternative is going back to my disposables! How's that for motivation? I have deliberately held off from making any other razor purchases because I believe the Feather has a long and steep learning curve for a complete noob like me, so swapping and changing back and forward (other than trying the different blades in it) is only likely to slow my progress towards mastering it with the muscle memory etc I am trying to develop. I am also practicing using my left hand more.

The other thing is that it wasn't cheap (together with my soaps / blades / brushes etc) so buying more razors at this point will have my wife asking questions I would rather she didn't...

Yep - if I stop using my Feather then my only alternative is going back to my disposables! How's that for motivation? I have deliberately held off from making any other razor purchases because I believe the Feather has a long and steep learning curve for a complete noob like me, so swapping and changing back and forward (other than trying the different blades in it) is only likely to slow my progress towards mastering it with the muscle memory etc I am trying to develop. I am also practicing using my left hand more.

The other thing is that it wasn't cheap (together with my soaps / blades / brushes etc) so buying more razors at this point will have my wife asking questions I would rather she didn't...
@RazorPlay - I agree with the learning curve - Im onto my third week with the Feather SS non-folding and am only now getting more comfortable with it - but still have to give it 100% respect - I can see why "safety" razors took off - much safer :ROFLMAO:

20161122_SOTD_S_ColPen_zpsv3g3tr4n.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S-1 Colossus
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac 2-band Silvertip
Lather: OSP Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Fantastic shave today - great lather with OSP (sorry no picture today) - but the star of the show was the razor/blade combination: silky smooth and super close - enjoy your gagh (y)

I'd happily PIF you an unused Maggards safety razor, if you'd like to try that out for a while? No doubt much easier to use!

I have a significant other who has the eye of a hawk for anything coming into the den, so feel your pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
2016-11-20%2017.21.38_zpsjiqw8brq.jpg

Pre:
La Toja soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Soap: Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Razor: ATT Kronos Open Comb (M2)
Blade: Vintage English Wilkie Supersword (3)

Mikes in a favourite soap - first try with this scent, and it is wonderful. Bright, zingy and refreshing.
I am still learning to use the Kronos - there is much more blade feel, which is making me a little cautious, but I am getting great shaves and bugger all irritation.
A three pass shave with cleanup; the Mikes gives so much slickness that minor touchups are just so easy.
BBS shave, and a glowingly excellent post-shave feel.
Maintaining the Emu Oil (thanks for advice from @alfredus, @Draco Noir, @Normie and others) has cleared up my skin. I am using 100% product, and my advice to any potential users is to apply very sparingly (one or two drops), as it spreads remarkably well.

I'd happily PIF you an unused Maggards safety razor, if you'd like to try that out for a while? No doubt much easier to use!

I have a significant other who has the eye of a hawk for anything coming into the den, so feel your pain.

Wow - thanks very much for the offer! I'm OK though - I'm enjoying the discipline of using this razor full time. Now that I know most of my issues are a result of reacting to the alum (which I had never tried before), rather than the Pro blade, I can move forward... I won't say I would never try a DE but at the moment if I'm likely to change anything, I'm more likely to make the move to straights / western kamisoris than DEs.

My main concern with straights is keeping them sharp as I have zero capability in sharpening / honing / stropping etc and it seems a whole can of worms all of its own that I am yet to get my head around. I bought the Feather to give me a reliable option for always having a sharp blade to use and a good reference point to learn how to shave like this first. Once I feel I have mastered it I will likely add some straights / kamis / strops / hones / lapping film etc etc etc as SWMBO and time permits... knowing the Feather option is always there for a reliable shave when I need it.

SOTD

Had a wonderful shave this morning. The Wickham's really does make a decent lather. Had a revelation with the Weber as well. I have reserved judgement for the best part so far but I think I am almost ready to share my impressions of this razor. The Shavemac D01 is a wonderful brush with a lot of backbone and quite a bit of scrub and was just what I needed.

Mu7AvhB.jpg

Pre: Musgo Real Lime Oil soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Razor: ATT Kronos Open Comb M2
Blade: Vintage English Wilkie Supersword (4)
Cologne: T&H Spanish Leather

Another great shave. Didn't quite get the lather right - the soap was very soft, making loading and water addition more difficult to judge.
A three pass shave with clean-up for DFS++. I continue to be amazed by the significant blade feel, yet great results all round. A learning curve for a open comb razor.
Post shave feel was great, and I continued the Myrsol pigeon pair, following by a light coating of Emu Oil.
Finished with an old favourite - T&H Spanish Leather.
323407c86d4895c309cab7a3829a179b.jpg

Razor: Standard
Blade: Feather Hi Stainless
Brush: TSW 452/28 Synth
Soap: EJ Lime & Pomegranate
After: Alum, TSW After Balm

Back to my trial blades, and I put on my big boy pants and loaded the Feather. This is one of those blades where you really feel the edge on your skin. Very sharp blade, but not as comfortable on the first run as a GSB or Polsilver. Good close shave, but there was a "shit, that was close" moment where my concentration lapsed and the Feather tried to rip my throat out. A few tiny weepers.

3-pass DFS, but my face feels a bit raw. I suspect this might be too much blade in the Standard, but I'll persist and try it in the DE86 after this one runs out.

SOTD

Had a wonderful shave this morning. The Wickham's really does make a decent lather. Had a revelation with the Weber as well. I have reserved judgement for the best part so far but I think I am almost ready to share my impressions of this razor. The Shavemac D01 is a wonderful brush with a lot of backbone and quite a bit of scrub and was just what I needed.

Mu7AvhB.jpg

Mmmm - love Wickhams supersmooth Imperial Toniv.

Razor: Vintage Gillette British NEW head on TSW Bren Handle
Blade: Derby Premium (6)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Brush with Envy White 24mm knot set at 50mm
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Shaving Soap - Barbershop
Aftershave: Myrsol Don Miguel 1919

Last shave with this blade. Still OK but beyond where we need to push things.

Lather shots here if interested - Lather Shots

uC4VjfJ.jpg

St James of London 26mm ST
Gillette Slim
Feather Blade
Eufros- Dama De Noche Shave Soap
Eufros - Dama De Noche Aftershave Balm
Dr Jon's Aphrodite Aftershave

Running with the Slim and my trusty Feather's delivered the results again today, superb lather from the Jabonman and a beautiful muted Jasmine scent from his soap. Finished up with some of Manuel's very interesting post shave balm and the Aphrodite with it's rose and jasmine notes to compliment the Dama de Noche.

Have a bloody good day & enjoy your shaves :)

uC4VjfJ.jpg

St James of London 26mm ST
Gillette Slim
Feather Blade
Eufros- Dama De Noche Shave Soap
Eufros - Dama De Noche Aftershave Balm
Dr Jon's Aphrodite Aftershave

Running with the Slim and my trusty Feather's delivered the results again today, superb lather from the Jabonman and a beautiful muted Jasmine scent from his soap. Finished up with some of Manuel's very interesting post shave balm and the Aphrodite with it's rose and jasmine notes to compliment the Dama de Noche.

Have a bloody good day & enjoy your shaves :)

Beautiful picture @todras (y)

Razor: Vintage Gillette British NEW head on TSW Bren Handle
Blade: Derby Premium (6)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Brush with Envy White 24mm knot set at 50mm
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Shaving Soap - Barbershop
Aftershave: Myrsol Don Miguel 1919

Last shave with this blade. Still OK but beyond where we need to push things.

Lather shots here if interested - Lather Shots
Nice shave - what do you think of the Don Miguel @Mark1966 ? I tried a splash but seems pretty OTT floral??

Status
Not open for further replies.