TOMDUvW.jpg

Occam's Crushed Lime Pre
St James of London 26mm
Merkur Progress
Feather Blade
Mystic Water Coconut, Lime, Verbena
APR FR Sandalwood, Lime, Verbena Aftershave Balm
APR FR Sandalwood, Lime, Verbena Aftershave

After the big Platypus reveal from @alfredus I thought I would go for a futurist aesthetic today, very nice shave from the Mystic, the lime verbena accent in the soap is fantastic and her soap always performs so well. A definite favorite for summer without a doubt. 2 passes and a nice cold drenching then on with the splash and balm.

The first outing of the new Sandalwood, Lime Verbena from APR, unfortunately it is not one I can offer to people due to the cost of producing it, the use of Verbena and Lime EO necessitates a large amount of Mysore Sandalwood which is incredibly expensive ($160 for 18ml currently). My original formulation had a combination of Australian Sandalwood and Indian Sandalwood with Verbena Fragrance oil which is substantially weaker than the EO. The issue was the strength of the Verbena, while it's bold initially it fades rapidly requiring that more be used. I am sending out 3 full sized bottles of this 'Friends of the Reserve' fragrance as a massive thank you and Christmas gift to 3 people who provided their help and professional skill to me in my DIY thread. Their guidance and help was invaluable and I hope this gift expresses my genuine thanks and respect for their assistance :)

Have a bloody good day, shave well cobbers (y)

Shower
Feather AC DX with Super Pro Blade (1)
Cella
Omega 80266
Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive ASB

After 15 shaves on the Pro blade, it just wasn't shaving me as close - requiring 2 or more passes for the same results. No tugging though and it was really quite harmless by that point - very different to the guarded blade but I think I prefer it. Last week I was travelling with carry on so using Gillette Blue 2s, Omega boar and Mennen stick, which actually gave me very good quality shaves (BBS in most places) in 2 passes - amazing what can happen with the right prep and I think the Feather has improved my technique a lot. Couldn't feel what was going on at all though ATG was easy...

Today was my first go on the Super Pro blade, which has more blade exposure and is meant to behave most like a "real" straight. I got a 2 pass WTG DFS with no damage. The blade was very sharp but probably not as sharp as I remember the Pro blade being out of the box. "No damage" attests to that, although I did feel a bit of "burn" where I was too heavy handed... I'll wait until this blade has mellowed a bit before attempting an ATG pass to get my BBS back. Only done that with a guarded blade to date...

Last edited:
iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 12 December 2016

Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm
Lather: - Haslinger Schafmilch Sheep Milk & Lanolin (very similar to MWF)
Razor: - Merkur 34C
Blade: - Voskhod #1
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Clubman Pinaud Aftershave Lotion

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 12 December 2016

Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm
Lather: - Haslinger Schafmilch Sheep Milk & Lanolin (very similar to MWF)
Razor: - Merkur 34C
Blade: - Voskhod #1
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Clubman Pinaud Aftershave Lotion
I want to hear your thoughts on the Wunderbar @SpeedyPC

I want to hear your thoughts on the Wunderbar @SpeedyPC

Hold ya horse ya baby wookie :p:D ;) you'll have to wait awhile because I've already put away all my shaving gear under locking key from families and visitors, because I've got families coming from Eden south of NSW, UK & US are here for a little while and I'm locking up all my soaps and brushes away too after my beloving SOC 2 Band Badger need drying out for two more days before gets put away. On the 14th I'll be currently using only Omega 10065 boar, Merkur 34C, Arko shaving soap, T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent & Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Splash for while, until they all head home after that then I'll start using the Razorock Wunderbar Slant ;) sorry about that.

Hold ya horse ya baby wookie :p:D ;) you'll have to wait awhile because I've already put away all my shaving gear under locking key from families and visitors, because I've got families coming from Eden, UK & US are here for a little while and I'm locking up all my soaps and brushes away too after my beloving SOC 2 Band Badger need drying out for two more days before gets put away. On the 14th I'll be currently using only Omega 10065 boar, Merkur 34C, Arko shaving soap, T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent & Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Splash for while, until they all head home after that then I'll start using the Razorock Wunderbar Slant ;)
Geez it sounds like you are worried they might steal all of your stuff mate.

Watch out fellas if you drive past a house in Little Bay and they are all wearing balaclavas that is @SpeedyPC's house :ROFLMAO:

Geez it sounds like you are worried they might steal all of your stuff mate.

Watch out fellas if you drive past a house in Little Bay and they are all wearing balaclavas that is @SpeedyPC's house :ROFLMAO:

Unless you want to face 3 German Shepherd and 1 Rottweiler be my guest :whistle::censored::coffee:

2016-12-12%2021.01.39_zps66g0cdg2.jpg

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Soap: P&B Sanskrit
Razor: ATT Kronos open comb M2
Blade: Vintage Gillette Spoiler (4)
A/S: APR Un côtelette de porc

A really great shave tonight. Got the lather on the Phoenix & Beau just right, and the Spoiler glided effortlessly across my mug.
Two passes gave me a DFS+. As the lather was so luxurious, did a wee clean-up. No blood, no irritation.
Post shave feel was excellent.

Finished of with the APR côtelette de porc. The alcohol note was far less noticeable in this fragrance, maybe due to the interaction with the more potent ingredients. I initially get a blast of multi-layered cedar wood, with vetiver and some black pepper. As it settles down, I notice fresher notes lurking in the background, but I can not identify them. A quick check of the ingredients gives me the answer - lavender, sweet orange and ginger. I would describe this fragrance as dry wood, and the closest fragrance I have to this in my locker is the DR Harris Marlborough cologne. Having said that, I find the côtelette de porc more complex and interesting. It would suit a formal or business occasion. I am not big on dry wood fragrances, so this is not for me. However, it is another classy effort from @todras. If you happen to be a fan of dry woods (and there are plenty out there), this just might be right up your alley.

Razor: Vintage Gillette Fatboy (5)
Blade: Derby Premium (2)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'The Duke'
Soap/Cream: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary "Settantesimo" Shave Soap
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary "Settantesimo" Aftershave

[contented sigh]

b9Uq9u8.jpg

Occams Crushed Lime Pre
Doug Korn D7 TGN
Merkur Progress
Feather
B&M Seville
Australian Private Reserve L'endroit orange
Australian Private Reserve L'endroit orange

With it set to be a scorcher today in Sydney I was in the mood for the refreshing, herbaceous Seville which next to Cheshire is my favorite B+M offering, it's clean, fresh and the very sharp notes are a fantastic take on a barbershop scent without the excessively sweet powdery notes.

I had to pair it with the aftershave that I made for the soap (The Orange Place or L'endroit Orange), it has been quietly resting for a few weeks and is now ready, the pairing is superb and the scent aligns very closely to the soap which was my intention.It is herbaceous in the middle with just the right amount of citrus for the fresh ring at the top. It is another one I will be wearing all summer!

Have a great day people, stay out of the bloody heat :)

Shower
Feather AC DX with Pro Super blade (2)
La Toja stick
Proraso brush
Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive ASB

Some things you just have to learn yourself. Tried two passes today WTG and ATG - only got a couple of weepers, ironically around the chin where I didn't actually go ATG but just got lazy because I wasn't worrying about it as much as a result.

Got a wonderful BBS anyway but it was too close a shave - got a bit of "burn". My technique could have been better (lighter touch) but I am developing a theory which says when these blades are new they are more than sharp enough for DFS+ WTG - attempting ATG at this point is asking for trouble. As they get a few more shaves into them, then ATG with BBS may be more realistic. Will have to test it out... ATG probably blunts them quicker too - could be one reason why my last blade went 15 shaves (no ATG).

BTW I love shave sticks. I've used them for years so I'm probably attuned to them but I just get better lathers from them.

20161213_SOTD_S_zpsep1blamm.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Paste & Cut LE Prototype Platypus - Tony Forsyth / Bob Quinn Manchurian
Lather: Mystic Water Lime
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Now that the brush is ordered and paid for (by most), I can let the cat out of the bag: this is a seriously nice knot :D :D :D

We were talking about it at our meet-up on Sunday, and agreed this knot doesn't have to hide behind ANYTHING we have come across - and I mean that. Unbelievably soft tips, yet backbone to easily go through soap - unfortunately it doesn't improve my poor photographic skills - the lather shot (here) doesn't do it any justice.

20161213_SOTD_S_zpsep1blamm.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Paste & Cut LE Prototype Platypus - Tony Forsyth / Bob Quinn Manchurian
Lather: Mystic Water Lime
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Now that the brush is ordered and paid for (by most), I can let the cat out of the bag: this is a seriously nice knot :D :D :D

We were talking about it at our meet-up on Sunday, and agreed this knot doesn't have to hide behind ANYTHING we have come across - and I mean that. Unbelievably soft tips, yet backbone to easily go through soap - unfortunately it doesn't improve my poor photographic skills - the lather shot (here) doesn't do it any justice.
I have to agree with the comments about the brush and the knot. This brush is going to punch well above it's price point and can proudly stand amongst a variety of higher priced brushes. There are going to be 25 very happy members when they arrive!

Status
Not open for further replies.