Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Vintage Gillette Fatboy (5)
Blade: Derby Premium (3)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson H2 boar
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Marlborough Shave Soap
Aftershave: APR - les généraux du grand livre aftershave splash

25 years ago today I was standing in a church in Walcha NSW with the girl I loved.

I'm sure I had a 5 o'clock shadow, my shaves are much better now :)

Happy Anniversary @Mark1966

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougere
Brush: Shavemac D01 2 band 25/52
Razor: Bengall 5/8"

I put the Bengall on the CrOx paddle yesterday as I felt it wasn't as keen as usual and it made a significant difference. Nice, smooth shave. The D01 2 Band is just a beast and created a sensational MdC lather.

t2fMVq9.jpg

December 14, 2016

Rockwell 6s
Astra
Paladin
Catie's Bubbles "Mile High Menthol"

Decided to crack out Arctique for the first time in Kenya. Worked an absolute treat! Was refreshing, almost too much so.

Also not sure about what's going on with Kenyan water, maybe it's softer than what I'm used to, but my soaps lather so amazingly and easily - it's beautiful.

Been using the 37C Slant for about a month now, works wonderfully! Really enjoying how it slices through my coarse, dense hair. Irritation free and very smooth shaves. I'm considering switching back to the feathers which used to irritate me before.

Happy Holidays to all!

P.S - picture taken AFTER a 3 pass shave
f0BI7Sl.jpg

Gillette Slim 1967 M-1
Gillette Super Stainless (Made in France) 1989 J-3
Proraso Sandalwod
Vintage Aqua Velva Ice Blue

I bought this razor from a Canadian seller, about 2 years ago, and had never shaved with it before.
I set the dial at 9 for the WTG, 5 for the XTG and 1 for the ATG. A breeze :)

uItilVx.jpg

La Toja Pre
Simpson CH1 SB
Gillette Fatboy
Feather
Eufros Fougère Shaving Soap
Eufros Fougère Aftershave Balm
APR - The Generals Ledger Balm
APR - The Generals Ledger Aftershave

Cooler and damp, perfect Fougère weather and a perfect excuse to use one of Manuel's excellent soaps. Two passes were effortless with the Fatboy, a superb shave this morning. Followed it up with plenty of balm and my own splash which works so very well with the Eufros. Really happy with this mornings innings.

Have a great day everyone, shave well :)

c0ac8bb8de0d554595367ae6640e10ac.jpg

Very different face feel from this splash. I'm guessing there is a goodly amount of glycerine? It does not dry at all and in fact I will use less tomorrow!

wow that's a nice photograph!

The aftershaves all use the same formula, your skin and the weather play a part in the 'face feel' but yes there is glycerine in all of them, the new aftershave formula for the summer scents will also have Chamomile and Calendula extract for more skin care during Summer :)

Razor: Vintage Gillette Fatboy (5)
Blade: Derby Premium (4)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak, reknotted with TGN Finest
Soap/Cream: B&M Cologne Russe Shaving Soap
Aftershave: B&M Cologne Russe Aftershave Splash

I do like the Cologne Russe - it has a very special place in my shave den! The Derby Premium is doing a remarkably good job still - thanks again @King of Authentic Shave :)

Happy Anniversary @Mark1966

Happy Anniversary @Mark1966 (y)

Thanks guys :)

I set the dial at 9 for the WTG, 5 for the XTG and 1 for the ATG. A breeze :)

So you change for the different passes? Not many people do, I presume that this works for you?

Might give it a run over the coming holidays!

That's funny, I thought everybody was doing this :D Yes it works for me.

No, many, me included, set and forget to a large degree.

Note: I didn't know it was your birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Wedding anniversary actually - and thanks :)

mWpix4Y.jpg

Razor:
Rockwell 6S (#3)
Blade: Permasharp
Brush: TF 3 Band Silvertip
Soap/Cream: Reef Point Soap (Fougere Santal)
Balm: Choix Alfredus Balm
Aftershave: Reef Point Soaps (Fougere Santal)

3 passes, 1st pass WTG #3 2nd pass XTG #3 and 3rd pass ATG #3 I found the Permasharp gave a much more efficient and cleaner cut than the Rockwell so looking forward to trying out some of the other blades. The new brush loaded much easier with this soap this time and had ample lather for the three passes. I love how the choix Alfredus feels when applied to the face and the scent after for that few minutes before the splash. I am liking the Reef Points so far but then there are lots more for me to try yet :eek:
Another great day and a great shave.​

mWpix4Y.jpg

Razor:
Rockwell 6S (#3)
Blade: Permasharp
Brush: TF 3 Band Silvertip
Soap/Cream: Reef Point Soap (Fougere Santal)
Balm: Choix Alfredus Balm
Aftershave: Reef Point Soaps (Fougere Santal)

3 passes, 1st pass WTG #3 2nd pass XTG #3 and 3rd pass ATG #3 I found the Permasharp gave a much more efficient and cleaner cut than the Rockwell so looking forward to trying out some of the other blades. The new brush loaded much easier with this soap this time and had ample lather for the three passes. I love how the choix Alfredus feels when applied to the face and the scent after for that few minutes before the splash. I am liking the Reef Points so far but then there are lots more for me to try yet :eek:
Another great day and a great shave.​

Nice work Tony - I tried a few of the Rockwell blades and thought they were pretty rough - the Permasharps and Feathers are my go to blades.
Hope you're enjoying your beard freedom!

Last edited by a moderator:
uItilVx.jpg

La Toja Pre
Simpson CH1 SB
Gillette Fatboy
Feather
Eufros Fougère Shaving Soap
Eufros Fougère Aftershave Balm
APR - The Generals Ledger Balm
APR - The Generals Ledger Aftershave

Cooler and damp, perfect Fougère weather and a perfect excuse to use one of Manuel's excellent soaps. Two passes were effortless with the Fatboy, a superb shave this morning. Followed it up with plenty of balm and my own splash which works so very well with the Eufros. Really happy with this mornings innings.

Have a great day everyone, shave well :)
Awesome that FB.

Saw a quote the other day by someone who quoted the following after being asked "Almost like a Fatboy" to which they replied "Pfffft it is about 75% cheaper than those overpriced lumps and does 1000% better job. Obviously not a fan of FB's but each to their own that's fair enough.

Shower
Feather AC DX with Pro Super Blade (4)
"The Fat"
Proraso Brush
Witch Hazel, Bulldog Original ASB

Another 2 pass WTG DFS. The Fat looks after my skin very well and I was left wondering what to do with the copious quantities of lather. I certainly don't have any issues lathering this stuff - it's very quick, thick and voluminous when you rub the puck on your face and then do a few quick swirls as well. I really had too much soap by the time I finished adding water. It's probably my favourite soap so far - very similar to the Lea stick but probably a touch better post shave...

Status
Not open for further replies.