Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shower
Feather AC DX with Pro Super Blade (4)
"The Fat"
Proraso Brush
Witch Hazel, Bulldog Original ASB

Another 2 pass WTG DFS. The Fat looks after my skin very well and I was left wondering what to do with the copious quantities of lather. I certainly don't have any issues lathering this stuff - it's very quick, thick and voluminous when you rub the puck on your face and then do a few quick swirls as well. I really had too much soap by the time I finished adding water. It's probably my favourite soap so far - very similar to the Lea stick but probably a touch better post shave...

@RazorPlay have you tried Arko shave stick, Haslinger Schafmilch Sheep Milk & Lanolin (very similar to MWF), LEA Classic Shaving Soap & Tabac.

@RazorPlay have you tried Arko shave stick, Haslinger Schafmilch Sheep Milk & Lanolin (very similar to MWF), LEA Classic Shaving Soap & Tabac.

Steady on! I've just started looking at alternatives to the Mennen sticks I've used for decades - so no, not yet. It's going to take quite awhile to work through my current stash! I would probably rate the ones I have tried this way, in order of performance (scent doesn't bother me).
MWF - Lea stick - Shaver Heaven Tallow v3 - La Toja stick - Cella - Mennen / Aus Palmolive stick - TOBS Cream - Proraso Red - Proraso Green - Tim's. I am currently adding glycerine to the last three to help overcome their shortcomings...
I might be a bit unfair to the La Toja and TOBS there - I need more time with them. Will try the others you mention too at some point - particularly the Tabac stick. I also want to try the Lea pro cream, Euro Palmolive stick, Wilkinson Sword Stick and Valobra stick.

I think I'm really trying to find the best / slickest stick I can find as I really like that format but don't want to limit myself just to sticks if something else is better... like MWF, particularly when I can still use it like a stick (at home anyway). Arko intrigues me - I don't care about scent but is it really slick? The first four in my list leave some nice residual slickness which is really valuable as I invariably go over some of the same area during a single pass when using the Feather (short, very light strokes etc).

9cd69eb4845fc5c7ba33bc612ec735ea.jpg

Brush: Simpsons M7
Razor: Rocket HD
Blade: Wilkinson Super Sword
Soap: Wickhams 1912 Frankincense
A/S: Vintage Old Spice

Soap: Shaver Heaven "Cagney"
Brush: Thater 2 (or 3) band 4125
Razor: Ikon 102 slant with bamboo handle
Blade: Feather (1)

First use of the "Cagney" and the second try of the Ikon slant purchased thru the BST here recently. The soap is usual SH goodness - great lather and slickness. The scent is unusual - the label says "Green Apple, Mint, Lime, Cotton Flower, Lemon, Amber" - its quite subtle and pleasant, very light citrus scent - I can't really detect the amber, and I don't know what cotton flower is supposed to smell like!! but very pleasant and fresh spring /summer scent.

The razor was interesting - Ive tried a vintage Coles/Merkur slant and wasn't too impressed. This razor is very mild and I did not feel "in harms way" at any time as I do with shavettes or aggressive DEs. I thought I would pair it with a new Feather blade as it was too mild with the three shave -used Permasharp I tried yesterday. I could feel regrowth yesterday around 6 hours later which is always a good sign of a mild razor for me, e.g. Gillette Tech.

The Feather performed better and I got a smooth, close shave with no weepers or irritation whatsoever. Some regrowth around 10 hours later which is pretty good. Some of the Feather AC shavettes and GEM SEs can leave my face so smooth there is almost nothing to shave the next morning.

While the razor was smooth and efficient the real stand out for me was the stainless bamboo handle - I havent used a bamboo handle before and I really liked the weight and grip of the handle.

So in all, a nice combination of pleasant fresh scented soap and a smooth razor, topped off with some wonderful Bay Rum splash.

Hope you legends have all enjoyed whatever life served up to you today:)
https://flic.kr/p/NX32nS

It could have been one and done but a really smooth blade a nice soap and a great boar brush made the thought of the 2nd pass a no brainer.
DFS+ and finished with Macadamia nut oil and Lemon Myrtle.
While my shaves with a straight take about 50% longer the result is the best shave I have ever had in my life of wet shaving. I would estimate it was between 30 - 50 shaves to fully learn the techniques involved but suddenly one day it all clicked.

GUKUzTb.jpg

December 15, 2016

Rockwell 6s
Astra
Doug Korn "Envy White"
Wickams Super Smooth "Bay Rum"
Aesop Bowl

Firstly a big thanks to @stillshunter for the sample of the Wickhams soap. Great soap and produces an excellent lather, today was no exception. The Aesop bowl worked a treat and is going to serve it's intended purpose extremely well. I have a number of samples from various members that I simply have not had the opportunity to enjoy properly yet. The Aesop bowl is perfect for mashing a nice chunk of soap in to and loading the brush, worked perfectly on it's first outing.

4RjVoqM.jpg

La Toja Pre
Doug Korn D7 TGN
Gillette Fatboy
Feather
Mystic Water Viola di Bosco
Australian Private Reserve Lavende violette
Australian Private Reserve Lavende violette

Wet,wet,wet and just the day for the Viola di Bosco. Always an enjoyable experience working up the Mystic lather, the usual 2 passes but with a warm rinse off given the drop in temperature.

First run of a private scent this morning too, a scent I formulated to pair with the wonderful smelling Viola di bosco (Violets and woods) from Mystic Water. I don't really see there being any viability in offering this one due to the large amount of Violet EO in it, aside from me doubting there is much demand for such a scent from people at any rate. It's in essence a chypre built on labandum, benzoin, oakmoss and amber that gives rice to the warm emergent lavender and violet with just a hint of forest flowers. When I first smelt the Mystic soap I knew immediately it was a scent for me.

Have a good Friday youse blokes :)

Razor: Vintage Gillette Fatboy (5)
Blade: Derby Premium (5)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson, reknotted with 'pure'
Soap/Cream: MdC Shaving Soap - Original
Aftershave: APR - les généraux du grand livre

Hmmm, not sure if it a case of one too many shaves with the blade or an ordinary lather, very thick and dry - needed more work I think, or both. Glad the APR rescued the shave and saved my face!

e19f58e2-bcec-4eab-b18f-b256a4101051_zpswcrxhdcp.jpg

Shower & Proraso Pre - Green
Feather AC DX with Pro Super Blade (5)
Proraso Green
Omega 80266
Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive ASB

Another 2 pass WTG DFS. No damage... the Proraso lather seemed to benefit from leaving the Pre cream on my face.

Last edited:
20161216_SOTD_S_zpscms55mr8.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Paladin Lotus
Lather: Stirling Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Last shave in the den before heading off to colder regions - hopefully the next one has some snow in it ;)

Have a great time and enjoy the break every one (y)(y)(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.