Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Very enjoyable 2 pass.
Sonnal 11/16"
Rehandled [Red Gum] Omega boar
Unscented soap.​

Showing your skills there Steve! Loving the brush. The razor might not be "pretty" in the typical sense but it's still an attractive blade IMHO. Not the season for Lemon Myrtle? I did up a body soap batch this week with LM. The scent lingers still since I have the soap drying in the open. I'm loving going into the garage at the moment. I very nearly pulled out the APR Monsta Myrtle for today's shave just so I could enjoy it some more. Then I remembered I had supercharged the splash with menthol so reached for the Rhapsody in lieu. Actually, that reminds me, I have to get that hyper menthol shave soap trial up to @eggbert for testing. Although, it's getting down to mid 25's up there at the moment so I guess he's not in that much of a rush for it.

Showing your skills there Steve!

Thanks for the comments @Sxot, I'm pretty lucky in that I have a few larger than 1 metre square soft boxes and basic skills. I'll probably run out of ideas soon, or hones to stage the shot with but till then it is fun.

Not the season for Lemon Myrtle?

It is a new formula I've made and wanted to see the soap with no distractions. It will be melted down today and "an excess" of Lemon Myrtle will be added for tonight's shave.

A highly doubtful, borderline ridiculous statement.

The materials, level of skill employed in machining and the tolerance in Timeless razors way surpasses a $30 SE made of aluminum and always will. The General is another budget player at an already burgeoning price point. It may be a decent SE, but it is in another class altogether than the hand made stainless pieces and it joins the massive class of sub $50 budget players.

Timeless razors, along with Wolfman and ATT represent a level of tolerance and craftsmanship you will only ever see in a hand turned, stainless steel piece. There is a very good reason that these razors cost substantially more than cheaper razors.

@todras the owner of the Colonial Razors has told me are planning to make a complete stainless steel of "The General" razor this year, and I'll be ready for this new release when it comes out soon and the weight is going to be much better than the brass version.

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 20 April 2017

Brush: - Platypus P&C LE 2017 24mm Fan Manchurian White
Lather: - The Body Shop Maca Root Shave Cream
Razor: - Colonial Razors "The General" SE with The Stray Whisker "Howitzer" Handle
Blade: - Kai Captain Titan Mild (Pink) #6
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Lucky Tiger Aftershave Lotion

Showing your skills there Steve! Loving the brush. The razor might not be "pretty" in the typical sense but it's still an attractive blade IMHO. Not the season for Lemon Myrtle? I did up a body soap batch this week with LM. The scent lingers still since I have the soap drying in the open. I'm loving going into the garage at the moment. I very nearly pulled out the APR Monsta Myrtle for today's shave just so I could enjoy it some more. Then I remembered I had supercharged the splash with menthol so reached for the Rhapsody in lieu. Actually, that reminds me, I have to get that hyper menthol shave soap trial up to @eggbert for testing. Although, it's getting down to mid 25's up there at the moment so I guess he's not in that much of a rush for it.
I've got about 2 shaves left of my glacial obsidian soap, then I'll be down to just 2.5 menthol soaps (SH arctic mango extreme doesn't quite count as a full menthol soap).
Any scent on this one, or is it a pure menthol hit?

I've got about 2 shaves left of my glacial obsidian soap, then I'll be down to just 2.5 menthol soaps (SH arctic mango extreme doesn't quite count as a full menthol soap).
Any scent on this one, or is it a pure menthol hit?

Lemon Myrtle - or I can do it unscented if you prefer. Eucalyptus maybe....

Q069HBU.jpg

Pre: Hot Spa
Brush: M&F 2XL Finest
Soap: B&M Rhapsody
Razor: MMCP
Blade: GEM Coated

I really want to get a great shave from this razor. I really do. I really want to like it but I can't, I just don't. It's very rough, especially ATG and two passes are not even worth considering. Three passes today, DFS+, but rough like I say. I don't know if it's the blade I don't get along with (it's great in the 1912) or the razor. I'm thinking maybe it's too mild maybe. Really want to try the bullet tip or maybe just give up on them altogether. I'll stick to my 'throats but it's fun trying something different. Might try a new blade in the Flat Top Heavy. I can't actually remember how it shaved now.

It's a shame you're not enjoying the Clogpruf, its a nice looking razor. I tried mine for the first time a few days ago and like you found it a bit rough and was wandering if it was the blade. I think it was definitely rougher than the bullet tip which has a slightly different top, flatter without the bevelled edges. I might take out both my MMs tonight for a comparison. I really liked the bullet tip.

Beauty of a shave with a brand new iKon X3 slant. Perfect shaver. Can't feel the blade if that's your thing. I like it either way. Efficiency of an r41 with the smoothness of a 34C. Absolutely worth the money and way cheaper than an ATT. Not to mention no overhang which is lovely. Crown king is absolutely beautiful as well and Pinaud is one of the only AS that I don't need moisturiser for. Just perfect.
Razor: iKon X3 slant w/ Muhle R41 handle
Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)
Brush: TF Custom Synthetic
Soap: Crown King Steeplechase
AS: Thayer's Witch Hazel, Pinaud Citrus Musk
5ce59325763c62d89d4955b5679d1d36.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Brush: - TF Custom Ice Fusion w/ 26mm TF Pengiun knot (not official knot name)
Soap: - Shaver Heaven Dracon Noir
Razor: - Rockwell 6S #2
Blade: - Permasharp (2)
Post Shave: - Thayers Medicated & Lea Balm

Well... that was just fun! Not as close as the timeless, but close to yet being really comfortable. Will probably hold onto the Timeless, but certainly not a daily driver for me.

@Anthony please tell me you'll be starting up again soon. Also an apology, I don't use your non-tallow soap nearly enough, and had forgotten how good it was/will be soon again :) Really is brilliant stuff.

The other surprise of the shave was the Lea Balm. @Gifts&Care.com Juan sent me a sample in a previous order, and I actually had some in my cart recently but didn't buy. Regretting it now big time. It's a little thicker consistency than Manuel's (Jabonman), but nice menthol (slightly less then Proraso green kick), and absorbs into the skin without being greasy at all. Will need to get some on my next order, and at $3 euro for 125ml, it's a steal!

86WuMw.jpg

Pre-Shave: Shower
Razor: ATT R1 Kronos
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Brush: Simpsons Chubby 2 Manchurian Faux Italian Marble
Lather: B&M Night Music
Post-shave: B&M Night Music, TSW After Balm
Shaving doesn't get much better than this for me, actually, it might but I haven't found it yet. The search continues...

Q069HBU.jpg

Pre: Hot Spa
Brush: M&F 2XL Finest
Soap: B&M Rhapsody
Razor: MMCP
Blade: GEM Coated

I really want to get a great shave from this razor. I really do. I really want to like it but I can't, I just don't. It's very rough, especially ATG and two passes are not even worth considering. Three passes today, DFS+, but rough like I say. I don't know if it's the blade I don't get along with (it's great in the 1912) or the razor. I'm thinking maybe it's too mild maybe. Really want to try the bullet tip or maybe just give up on them altogether. I'll stick to my 'throats but it's fun trying something different. Might try a new blade in the Flat Top Heavy. I can't actually remember how it shaved now.

I agree @Sxot - I found the Clogproof too mild. My favourite is the 1912. I didn't find the Heavy Flat Top as good either - probs bit too mild also.

Thursday 20 April 2017

n4PjF7TuYc6nRdLKnWzTBrBf7mXAlFje4MgnBQlprYcXjbWkp5pjqJ482qL8R2zwjCQ-sbEaUDy1Z8tz1XO_LWG2RUkq98tzdw=w1920-h1080-no

Juniper Shave

Today I was in the mood for having a juniper shave, I mean juniper fragrance. That's why I opted for Mastro Livi razor and shave brush having juniper wood scales and handle. I absolutely love the smell of juniper wood, very Mediterranean and aromatic, it has a strong yet lovely fragrance, something you can usually smell when you walk in Mediterreanean woods. The razor is an incredible masterpiece made by Mastro Livi, with its artisan carbon damascus steel made of 100 layers and with a sort of "wood" pattern, it is incredibly beautiful. Not to mention the fact Mastro Livi ground the blade to a full extra hollow, this razor sings like an Italian "tenore". The shave brush, with its double band wild silver badger loft, mounted to perfection my homemade shaving soap and making a super rich and smooth lather. The finishing touch has been provided by Brut Classic, an aftershave reminding me of the times when I was a kid and was using this fragrance in order to "smell like a man".​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Double Band Wild Silver Badger, Juniper Handle, 24mm Knot
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi "100 Layers" Carbon Damascus, 13/16 Extra Full Hollow, Square Point, Juniper Wood Scales
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Brut Classic

Razor: Vintage British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage Australian Gillette Super Stainless [aka "Aussie Spoiler"] (9)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'M1'
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soap Spitfire
Aftershave Splash: Australian Private Reserve - Lavande violette

Shaves this good are banned in 147 countries globally I understand - poor them

UOTiFW9.jpg

Musgo Glyce
Morris & Fordran
Timeless
Feather
St James of London Sandalwood & Bergamot Shaving Cream
Chatillon Lux Colonia Balsamica Salve
Chatillon Lux Colonia Balsamica Aftershave