Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aftershave Splash: Pitralon 'Swiss'
@Mark1966 where did you buy this aftershave? did you ordered this online? if so could you please provide a link on where you got this from.

Cheers ;)

PS. would you please clean your dirty window because I can't see your face :p:smuggrin:

@Mark1966 where did you buy this aftershave? did you ordered this online? if so could you please provide a link on where you got this from.

I purchased it on the B/S/T here a little while back - I can't think of anybody who can supply and ship to Australia :(

PS. would you please clean your dirty window because I can't see your face :p:smuggrin:

Sorry, boring accountants are not allowed to show their faces on forums ...

Full_Size_Render_6.jpg

Quality Sunday shave. :)
Lather shot here.
Do you mind if I ask what are the main notes you get from the Rhapsody mate?

I decided after today's meet up I would revisit my shaving past and try a :) DE :) shave. The biggest disconnect for me was the loss of visual "aiming" of the actual blade compared to a straight. It took me a stroke or two to find the angle and one thing I did realise more so than when I used safety style razors the majority of the time is blade pressure. After a couple of extra strokes of the razor it was really apparent to me I constantly used way too much pressure in the past. The straight really focuses your mind on blade pressure and angle.

The DE blade is very sharp [sharper or keener because of the blade thickness] but a straight gives a single pass closeness that is very hard to rival. I actually have more concerns about cuts and nicks with a DE than a straight but :) it has taken me a major number of shaves with a straight though to get to that point.

I stopped shaving with a DE by about 19 and found Schick injectors and then only shaved with DE's intermittently over the decades. With the right angle and the correct pressure there is a reasonable chance at getting a good shave.

I may spend a week and see if I can get a similar shave to my straight with a DE then try a Schick and finally a GEM....... probably not :)

Adjustable DE - 2 pass
Rapira Chrome - Excellent smooth blade
Silver Tip 24mm/48mm loft
My soap.

Only 24 hours to a straight razor shave !!

Do you mind if I ask what are the main notes you get from the Rhapsody mate?
Hey @Korbz . My scent knowledge isn't developed enough to really pick out the notes to be honest. Maybe apple/pear blossom and deep spice. My wife says it's a very male smell.
I would have to say it's one of my top 2 favourite scents, which is totally subjective of course.

Here's the description off the B & M site.

In the spirit of the grand 80s power fragrance New York, we incorporate the scent of pear blossoms, which bloom in Central Park in the springtime and have a famously pungent odor, into a citrus/floral/spice structure to symbolize the beauty of Spring (when the snow finally melts). Because using only our pear blossom accord made the fragrance rather heavy, we decided to lighten it with the scents of apple and cherry blossoms, incorporating all three accords into a base of lemon, orange, orange flower, rose, bay, thyme, sandalwood, patchouli, musk, lavender, and vanilla.

Overall, Rhapsody is clean, sweet, and citrusy with a distinctly floral cast and a richly smooth base, perfect for still-chilly Spring mornings where it's hard to justify getting out of bed. Bright and uplifting, it will leave you feeling refreshed and ready to face the day.

I decided after today's meet up I would revisit my shaving past and try a :) DE :) shave. The biggest disconnect for me was the loss of visual "aiming" of the actual blade compared to a straight. It took me a stroke or two to find the angle and one thing I did realise more so than when I used safety style razors the majority of the time is blade pressure. After a couple of extra strokes of the razor it was really apparent to me I constantly used way too much pressure in the past. The straight really focuses your mind on blade pressure and angle.

The DE blade is very sharp [sharper or keener because of the blade thickness] but a straight gives a single pass closeness that is very hard to rival. I actually have more concerns about cuts and nicks with a DE than a straight but :) it has taken me a major number of shaves with a straight though to get to that point.

I stopped shaving with a DE by about 19 and found Schick injectors and then only shaved with DE's intermittently over the decades. With the right angle and the correct pressure there is a reasonable chance at getting a good shave.

I may spend a week and see if I can get a similar shave to my straight with a DE then try a Schick and finally a GEM....... probably not :)

Adjustable DE - 2 pass
Rapira Chrome - Excellent smooth blade
Silver Tip 24mm/48mm loft
My soap.

Only 24 hours to a straight razor shave !!
DE's and Badgers???? :wacky::wacky::wacky: :ROFLMAO:

Sunday 23 April 2017

Ag1LHO4EIJbvd5piIR2iAS6-31lQgI-22VUjnpkTz3DAPwZus1YIwMEqqv4tAezkv7rWryP8EXdJ2HxtWtsEJLoCS_wHTsDLeqw=w1920-h1080-no

Mastro Livi Inox "Grifone", 9/8 Full Hollow, Livi Snake Point, Blue Buckeye

Grifone Shave! This is a straight razor Mastro Livi made for me quite a long time, it was more or less the period in which he released Grifetto razor and, as the steel for this blade is the very same used for Grifetto although the size is bigger than it - it is a 9/8 - we called this razor "Grifone" (Big Gryphon). It has a magnificent velvety touch and a wonderful shaving performance, leaving behind the best BBS shave. I also used a Mastro Livi Bristle shave brush, confirming the superior quality of the brushes he makes, and one of the best Italian shaving cream made by "Antica Barbieria Colla" of Milan. I also used L'Erbolario's Vetiver and Witch Hazel lotion, an alcohol-free aftershave, and I admit I like alcohol based lotions better. They simply are more effective, at least in my skin.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Bristle, Padouk, 26mm Knot
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Inox "Grifone", 9/8 Full Hollow, Livi Snake Point, Blue Buckeye
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: L'Erbolario Vetiver and Witch Hazel After Shave Lotion

O4tpW7D.jpg

Occams Crushed Lime Pre
Doug Korn D7 TGN
Above the Tie Colossus R1
Polsilver Brown 'Vinny'
Australian Private Reserve Mycroft
Chatillon Lux Gratiot League Square Salve
Australian Private Reserve Mycroft Aftershave
Australian Private Reserve Mycroft EDP

A very pleasing Monday Shave, two passes and then the goodness :)

Razor: Vintage British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage Australian Gillette Super Stainless [aka "Aussie Spoiler"] (12)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'B2'
Soap/Cream: P&B Baskerville
Aftershave Splash: APR - Lavende Violette

Nice ...

Full_Size_Render.jpg

• Soap: CRSW Barbershop
  • Brush: Paladin Falstaff 26mm
  • Strop: Kanayama
  • Razor: Friodur 250 6/8"
  • Post-Shave: Alum, Floid
Not to speak too soon, but I'm finally getting shaves that are as close or closer than a DE with my straights. It only took about 100 shaves. Wow, who knew? (oh yes, everyone).

Got a nice little package a few days ago that I purchased through PC. Captains Choice Bay Rum soap and AS. Im so happy with the performance of this soap. But this AS dried out my skin too much so I needed to add the Nivea to moisten my face. Great ingredients in the AS but just left it too dry for me. Soap was brilliant though.
Have splendid shaves everyone

Razor: iKon X3 slant
Blade: Shark (3)
Soap: Captain's Choice Bay Rum
Brush: Wahl Silvertip
AS: Thayer's Witch Hazel, captain's choice bay rum AS, Nivea 2 Phase Aftershave Lotion
c5574f4db5666286af7f96541aef992a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.