Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 24 April 2017

Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm
Lather: - Haslinger Schafmilch Sheep Milk & Lanolin (very similar to MWF)
Razor: - Colonial Razors "The General" SE with The Stray Whisker "Howitzer" Handle
Blade: - Kai Captain Titan Mild (Pink) #8
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / WAHL Bay Rum Aftershave Splash

jEZyefI.jpg

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S-1 Jurgen Hempel Ti
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Paladin Lotus
Lather: Razor Master Pekka from P&C travelling box 4b
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

First shave with the travelling box - lather shot here and review here - hope you all have a great start into the new week (y)

I bought mine through eBay; there was a seller out of the Netherlands.

@walklikeaduck can I ask you a small favor could you please PM me which is the most trusted user from Netherlands on eBay you've visited or know, so I can start ordering some Swiss Pitralon Aftershave Splash that can be able to shipped to Australia if this is not to much trouble.

Looks like a miniature shave today - only because I was using matching sample soap and splash from the always generous @todras - the samples may be pint-sized but the scent and performance are absolutely fantastic. This Bourbon Rose Fougere would have to be my favourite APR scent thus far. It is absolutely brilliant.

The soap performance is amazing, even from a pea sized sample piece. The scent is a wonderful 'masculine floral' if you know what I mean. Certainly no grandma's rose-scented powder here. The splash has a wonderful deep rose and fougere scent that develops and lasts for hours and even 6 hours later I am still detecting hints of lavender which I did not notice initially. I have tried a few other rose shave soaps (DR Harris springs to mind) but they have been fairly straightforward rose scents. The APR version is a truly complex winter scent that I will be purchasing a soap/splash combo as soon as Dan releases them.

The Ikon slant was smooth as usual at first - I think you could do a ten -pass shave with this razor and not get any skin irritation :LOL:. While initially quite smooth and close, 4-6 hours later a light stubble appears. This is my mark of a non-BBS shave i.e. with a straight or GEM SE style blade I can get a good 8-12 hours of smoothness.

All told, a wonderful way to get the shorter working week underway. Bravo @todras - well played Sir :pompous:

Enjoy your shaves and the day today co-shavers :whistle:

This is fairly spot on as I had no intention of making yet another Bay Rum scent, and therefore you will not find any clove or rum in Bay City. What I did want to make was a Black and Red currant fragrance that rested on the finest West Indian Bay oil available, a fragrance that was ideal for autumn and winter. I wanted a scent that had longevity, that had lots of heavy, long lasting labdanum, benzoin and other balsams and that's really what Bay City is about - it works very well as a soap too I am happy to say.

It's definitely not one for kids, and certainly not one that smacks you in the face I made sure of that - I really wanted to avoid a face burner as the market is deluged with coarse, hard hitting face slapper's full of bay oil, rum and cinnamon and quite frankly most of them bore me - the exception being B&M Bay Rum as he uses no clove oil.

I will say it now, if you like hard hitting Bay Rum's that burn this will not be your fragrance. There are a bunch already on the market that do this and do this well. It's called Bay City as it contains Bay Oil and Sydney is a harbour/bay city.

@Snooze I would suggest using Bay City for a few days before deciding on it, there is a lot of nuance below the surface that will emerge during the dry down (10-20 mins after application). It's a very complex fragrance with a lot going on through the multiple accords, but it does have a really bright currant top of fruit and caramel notes.

Not for everyone, definitely for me :)
Bay Laurel an option?
I know Stirling used to do one and it wasn't as strong as their bay rum.

Photo%2024-4-17%2022%2001%2016_zpsouyjn2rc.jpg

Pre:
Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: P&C LE Platypus 2017
Soap: Lea Classic
Razor: ATT Kronos M2
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Silver (4)
Splash: Myrsol Blue

Lovely three pass shave. Lea Classic is underrated - a truly excellent soap.

When the sun goes down, and in the morning,
We will remember them.
Lest we forget.
T2eC16JHJHEFFmJEpvC7BST2oBnUZw60_35_zpszay2ygiy.jpg

Razor: Vintage British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage Australian Gillette Super Stainless [aka "Aussie Spoiler"] (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'The Duke'
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve 'Mycroft' shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: APR - Australian Private Reserve 'Mycroft' splash

As Aussie as I can get it today. Thinking of Private Charles Ladiges of the 2nd/3rd Pioneer Battalion
, a man I never knew but I have his razor (see story here - A very special SOTD, a very special British Aristocrat #15) and a photo from his military records at time of enlistment -

We will remember them.
Lest we forget.

T5zPon0.jpg

Musgo Glyce
Doug Korn D7 TGN Finest
Above the Tie Colossus R1
Feather
Mystic Water Sardinian Honey
Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender Salve
Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender Aftershave
Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender EDT

A pleasing two passes, a return to the honey, relaxing!

dragged out the 1916 old for a shave this morning along with a new personna hospital blade and mwf soap. kept it simple ad finished with same thayers. i dont think ill ever get it right with this razor it left me with a bloody face again but a nice close shave otherwise.

Short and sweet this one - APR Bourbon Rose preview sampler.

Scent -
Yes, it's good. In fact it is very good, almost craftsman like layering of accords here.
Soap Performance - Either there has been a change in base recipe, or I perfected my lathering technique. A massive step up in lather body & cushion while remaining slick..... and this from a sample pressed into my muhle bowl. Impressive stuff.
AS Performance - seemed to 'dry' faster than previous releases making it a little harder to spread on the face. Still great performance, my face feels awesome and the other half loves the scent.

I know @alfredus will be onto this like a shot.

Soap Performance - Either there has been a change in base recipe, or I perfected my lathering technique. A massive step up in lather body & cushion while remaining slick..... and this from a sample pressed into my muhle bowl. Impressive stuff.

It has been the same soap base since @Sxot and I agreed on the final formula, I would say it's just a case of becoming more familiar with the soap, I know that in my rotation of 10-15 soaps per season I often have to 'dial in' a certain soap makers soap after using others for a while, it usually takes me at least one shave to hit it spot on and become familiar with it again.

I know @alfredus will be onto this like a shot.

He has been testing Bay City and Bourbon Rose for a week or two now, posting his lather shots with his fancy uber 'A' list brushes and razors in the lather shots thread I think :)

Scent - Yes, it's good. In fact it is very good, almost craftsman like layering of accords here.

It's been in development since late January, I have had around 35 iterations of the formula to get it where it is now, some complete failures (to my nose), some contenders (almost, but not quite) and now the final formula which I am satisfied with and one that will not change in any shape or form whatsoever... if it does it will not be released as Fougère Bourbon Rose. I never change my formulas in response to feedback, fragrance design is not a game where people get the opportunity to contribute rather I suggest those that want to design and make their own fragrances to their own liking definitely do so - a lesson I took from the French actually.

The Bourbon Rose is not actually Rose at all, its a species of Geranium Pelargonium graveolens L'Her from the Réunion Island. The major challenges of working with the notes in Fougère Bourbon Rose were firstly and paramountly obtaining the Rose Bourbon oil itself in sufficient quantity (it's prized for it's use in perfumery) so obtaining enough to ensure a supply for 2 years took some fancy legwork via a contact in France who supplies me with the rarer, scarcer commodities I require.

There are two sources of this oil, the first and most prized being Réunion Island oil and the second, more readily available, but of much lesser quality being from Madagascar. Little point in using the lesser oil, that's not why I got into this caper.The critically important factor with such a scarce oil is that I absolutely must use the same source for all of the fragrances/soaps I make for an APR release - I can't switch suppliers out as different source=different fragrance.

He is currently obtaining me a quantity of Orris Absolute butter I require for an upcoming fragrance that will feature Orris, Violet, Lavender and ors. Obviously a premium product, LE special release kind of deal that will probably drop in spring but one I promise will be absolutely superb.. @TomG and @Mark1966 were given the first iterations of it as Christmas gifts If I recall correctly - I made 3 bottles, one each but without the orris butter as I was not at that point competent enough to be supplied with it, I am now my pal in France tells me. Let me know if you would like to try it @Monsta_AU and I will get a vial to you at the next meetup :)

Razor: Vintage British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage Australian Gillette Super Stainless [aka "Aussie Spoiler"] (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'The Duke'
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve 'Mycroft' shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: APR - Australian Private Reserve 'Mycroft' splash

As Aussie as I can get it today. Thinking of Private Charles Ladiges of the 2nd/3rd Pioneer Battalion
, a man I never knew but I have his razor (see story here - A very special SOTD, a very special British Aristocrat #15) and a photo from his military records at time of enlistment -

We will remember them.
Lest we forget.
Lovely set up @Mark1966 and a fitting tribute to Pvt Ladiges who I think would be proud that his razor is still in use!

...He is currently obtaining me a quantity of Orris Absolute butter I require for an upcoming fragrance that will feature Orris, Violet, Lavender and ors. Obviously a premium product, LE special release kind of deal that will probably drop in spring but one I promise will be absolutely superb.. @TomG and @Mark1966 were given the first iterations of it as Christmas gifts If I recall correctly - I made 3 bottles, one each but without the orris butter as I was not at that point competent enough to be supplied with it, I am now my pal in France tells me. Let me know if you would like to try it @Monsta_AU and I will get a vial to you at the next meetup :)

Lavende Violette? Bloody superb!

Lovely set up @Mark1966 and a fitting tribute to Pvt Ladiges who I think would be proud that his razor is still in use!

Thanks mate, I hope so.

Razor: Vintage Gillette Fatboy
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless
Brush: Vulfix reknot 24x50
Soap/Cream: Saponification Varesino Artic Tundra
Aftershave Splash: Floid blue
Cologne: AOS sandalwood

0e6d5ebefb2d5b9f5758aa0fa3c1addc.jpg

Been a one soap man for at least two months (Oxford and Cambridge) now and decided I'd break the Tundra out of storage. This soap was fantastic! I prize slickness and post shave above everything else. This soap satisfies both and the scent was very natural and pleasant. In terms of lathering SV is remarkably easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Photo%2024-4-17%2022%2001%2016_zpsouyjn2rc.jpg

Pre:
Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: P&C LE Platypus 2017
Soap: Lea Classic
Razor: ATT Kronos M2
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Silver (4)
Splash: Myrsol Blue

Lovely three pass shave. Lea Classic is underrated - a truly excellent soap.

We will remember them.
Lest we forget.
T2eC16JHJHEFFmJEpvC7BST2oBnUZw60_35_zpszay2ygiy.jpg
How do you like the ATT M2 mate? I'm obsessed with mine now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.