Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre: Hot shower
Brush: 1092 synthetic

Soap: Australian Private Reserve - Fougère Bourbon Rose Soap
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Polsilver (2)
Post: Australian Private Reserve - Fougère Bourbon Rose Balm (sample)
Splash: Australian Private Reserve - Fougère Bourbon Rose Splash

I just wanted to add my notes from my shave yesterday to this SOTD from @TomG
https://paste-and-cut.com.au/commun...the-day-thread-2017.3493/page-139#post-100291

I agree with everything @TomG said. The fragrance of 'Fougère Bourbon Rose' is lovely. It is a much more gentle/comfortable scent than my other APR scent 'Mycroft' which, while still great, is much sharper.
I too am convinced the soap formulation has been tweaked. The soap was already a top performer. But now it lathers in (almost literally) a heartbeat, yet remains silky smooth. I love it. Again, I've not heard any word about an official formulation change. It might just be increased experience from @todras and @Sxot . At any rate, it's great.

I think the balm deserves a special mention. The bourbon rose scent goes fantastic with the balm base and it feels fantastic after the shave. I just wish I could bathe in the stuff... *ahem*
@todras if you could provide me enough of this stuff to fill a bathtub, that would be great. :)

The splash is good too but I don't think the base has changed from my Mycroft splash.
No one else has mentioned this that I am aware: But, the splashes go on very oily. I'm not yet sure how I feel about this...
I have very oily skin, especially for my age (37) and is most oily on my forehead.
I noticed that my cheeks felt nice, comfortable and silky 20 minutes after I apply the splash. But my forehead, couldn't absorb it and felt greasy for the rest of the day... Not horrible. But enough for me to notice.
Obviously, YMMV. But, if you have oily skin like me, I would suggest not applying this splash to non-shaved areas.

Overall, I am very happy with the APR Fougère Bourbon Rose range and look forward to including it in my regular rotation. In fact, I may use it exclusively for my next few shaves.

Addendum:
On the advice of several P&C members I finally got my hands on some Polsilver blades. All I can say is that the rumours appear to be true. I love them. I think they are my new go-to blade ahead of the Feathers - Damn it. I seem to have expensive taste.
I also have a pack each of Gillette Silver Blue (expensive) and Voskhod (cheap) that are waiting patiently for me to try them. I have high hopes for both.

Birthday Shave (It's tomorrow but I couldn't wait to shave)

- Schick Krona
- Gillette Super Stainless 1984 E-2 Made In Australia
- Dr Jon - Anne Bonny
- Tabac Original After shave lotion

Classic 3 pass shave for a BSS result
Happy birthday in advance @Maxime D. (y)(y)(y)

Vrgv8YF.jpg

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: Guerrilla
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Tony Forsyth Platypus Prototype Bob Quinn Manchurian
Lather: Australian Private Reserve Winterfell
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

Winter is coming and if it stays like this, I couldn't be any happier! @todras has created another cracking scent - this one takes a bit longer to come out, but then the beautiful Bergamot and Rosewood get together with the base notes and linger with you even after the shave - and of course the lather itself was also fantastic (picture here).

Today was also my first get together with the Guerrilla - and it is definitely a keeper! Very smooth yet so efficient - and like all razors from James it also bit me during the first shave...a price I am more than happy to pay :)

I hope you all enjoy your shaves (y)(y)(y)

The splash is good too but I don't think the base has changed from my Mycroft splash.
No one else has mentioned this that I am aware: But, the splashes go on very oily. I'm not yet sure how I feel about this...
I have very oily skin, especially for my age (37) and is most oily on my forehead.
I noticed that my cheeks felt nice, comfortable and silky 20 minutes after I apply the splash. But my forehead, couldn't absorb it and felt greasy for the rest of the day... Not horrible. But enough for me to notice.
Obviously, YMMV. But, if you have oily skin like me, I would suggest not applying this splash to non-shaved areas.

I'm an OB (oily bastard) too and so also have limited myself to the shaved areas but if you get excited with the alum rinse phase then Mycroft is greedily absorbed everywhere. Indeed, when I'm using APR aftershaves (most shaves these days) thats my usual procedure.

Eclectic Shave
20170520_151442.jpg

Razor: Colonial General with Stray Whisker handle
Blade: Feather Pro (3)
Soap: Ginger's Garden Fig N Rum sample from @Cris
Brush: Wolfpac 26mm Finest Badger with sexy 70s soaking goblet
Post: Blue Stratos Movember Limited Edition AS + Razorock Emporer EdT

Thoughts...
- First time using a badger brush in ages. It was fun to do the pre-soak and this brush is now nice and soft. It's a bit big for this shave bowl and even my face but we all need to go back to natural hair now and then.
- Ginger's Garden was very easy to lather once I remembered to be more vigorous with the badger knot. Great protection and no weepers. Could be a little slicker imo.
- The Movember AS is a spray which is not my favourite delivery system at all but it has a pleasant scent and not much sting despite not even prepping the skin with alum beforehand. I don't like spraying directly on the face but that worked better than via hand. Face feel is bullshit compared with almost anything else I've tried sadly. It would last forever though considering how little product you get. A gift that I wouldn't even PIF now I've tried it.
- Emporer is a good clone of Aventus but it lasts about 40 mins max. You get what you pay for and it's probably better as a night shave EdT

Last edited:
Windsor soap as pre shave
Feather AC DX non folding
Kai guarded blade (6)
MWF
Omega 80266
Re-lather and cold rinse

Another great shave with the MWF puck used as a shave stick. Took lots of water and performed well - 2 pass WTG CCS.

I have worked out the deal with the guarded blade - WTG shaves are very comfortable with no damage but my 5 o'clock shadow arrives early. Going ATG results in shaving some skin as the blade still has the reduced exposure of the Pro version, requiring just a bit of a higher angle, which is enough to make a difference for me. All this is leading me to the conclusion that the Pro Super blades are my favourite. They will be next up...

Vrgv8YF.jpg

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: Guerrilla
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Tony Forsyth Platypus Prototype Bob Quinn Manchurian
Lather: Australian Private Reserve Winterfell
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

Winter is coming and if it stays like this, I couldn't be any happier! @todras has created another cracking scent - this one takes a bit longer to come out, but then the beautiful Bergamot and Rosewood get together with the base notes and linger with you even after the shave - and of course the lather itself was also fantastic (picture here).

Today was also my first get together with the Guerrilla - and it is definitely a keeper! Very smooth yet so efficient - and like all razors from James it also bit me during the first shave...a price I am more than happy to pay :)

I hope you all enjoy your shaves (y)(y)(y)
Please bring the Winterfell soap to the meet up tomorrow @alfredus :)

Pre: Valobra Glicerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus
Soap: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Vintage Wilkinson Sword Super Sword (2)
EDP: APR Suitably Attired Australian

Bit busy, so no photo.
Changed the Wilkie blade into the AS-D2. What a lovely shave. I find the AS-D2 razor quite similar to the Sticky - both very easy to use, mild yet efficient, and beautifully designed.
It takes me a little adjustment to find the angle on the AS-D2 - it works best for me at about 45 degrees. Just like last night's shave, the combination of a mild razor and the very sharp vintage Wilkie blade worked beautifully.

Razor: Vintage British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Platinum (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson '46' reknotted in 'pure'
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soap 'Group Captain's Blend'
Aftershave Splash: Australian Private Reserve 'Un côtelette de porc' splash
Aftershave Balm: Australian Private Reserve 'Un côtelette de porc' balm

18595542_1560834907262275_468928290755674182_o.jpg

Brush: Simpsons PJ2
Soap: APR, SAA
Razor: Ever Ready, 1924 (Shovel head)
Blade: Gem SS (6)

A Simpsons, SAA and Shovel head Sunday shave.

A superb lather and scent with the brush, soap and splash. Sunday shaves are getting better and better!

First use of the Ever Ready 1924. An interesting razor as it loads differently to the 1912 with the hinge at the front. Also, the handle seems very short but is in fact the exact same length as a1912 Ever Ready (and the 1912 Gem) I have put a couple of pictures for comparison for those that might be interested. The shave is pretty efficient, a close shave but smooth and I'm really quite impressed, I think I might prefer it to the 1912 but I'll have to give them both a few more runs for comparison.

One day, when I have a 1914, Contour and (maybe) Slimline, I will line them all up and give a proper researched review.

Have a great Sunday, enjoy your shave​

Razor: 1932 Canadian fat handle tech
Blade: nacet (5)
Brush: whipped dog synthetic
Soap: The Warden

Another good shave with this soap, I'm defiantly happy with it.
I tend not to comment on scents as they are so subjective and I'm so undecided on this one!

Edit: Iv considered it and I think initially it comes on a tad strong but the way it develops is beautiful, defiantly a new favourite. Looking forward to trying the others in the range

Last edited:
Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade(s): Feather (2 and last use for that blade)
Brush: Simpsons Super Chubby 2
Soap/Cream: Soapmakers of Awesometown

Feathers for me are only good for two shaves .. Polsilvers last a lot longer and suit me better. Sometimes I will use the Polsilver if it is my last for a couple of passes then follow on with the Feather for a smoother finish.

Soapmakers of Awersometown lathers up really nicely and has a great scent.

HWCef4n.jpg

Musgo Glyce
Paladin Lotus
ATT R1
Feather
Talbot Shaving - Holland Glen
Chatillon Lux Blackberry Blossom Bay Salve
Chatillon Lux Blackberry Blossom Bay Aftershave
L`Artisan Parfumeur Fou d`Absinthe EDP

16:9 AR and counter seasonal, two passes, just magic :)

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 21 May 2017

Brush: - Semogue Special Edition 2012 Badger/Boar knot 24/55mm
Cream/Soap: - Palmolive Classic Shave Stick (European version grated into a plastic tub)
Razor: - Colonial Razors "The General Alum. Head" SE with iKon Bulldog Handle
Blade: - Kai Captain Titan Mild (Pink) #20
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Rose Petal' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm

Status
Not open for further replies.