Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think Colonial have made a MASSIVE mistake moving away from the bargain basement aluminium model because I think this could be the default for many, many shavers.

I agree 100%. There is only a miniscule wet shaving market for the new highly [overly] priced SS or Titanium razors both SE and DE but the vast majority of wet shavers realistically aim for a much more affordable - yet equally capable razor.

Razor: Eveready, Featherweight

This SE was first made in 1953 so is now 64 years old and yet despite a plastic handle and pressed metal components still provides a superb shave.

This was my first SE razor, and a great one to start with. If I had to use this same set up every day I wouldn't complain too much.

This sentiment is held by many people.

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade(s): Persona 74 (2)
Brush: Simpsons Super Chubby 2
Soap/Cream: T&H 1805

Having read up on the longevity of the Persona 74s (in the main) I thought I would persevere. I decided to put the blade in the Feather AS-D2, and it was quite a good shave.

Maybe I went too hard too fast on the original shave with these on the Slim. It was my first time for both the razor and the blade. That said I think I may leave it on the Feather and test longevity.

I can get generally 2 from a feather, 4-5 from a Polsilver. Research says that Personas should be able to get greater than 15 shaves.

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade(s): Persona 74 (2)
Brush: Simpsons Super Chubby 2
Soap/Cream: T&H 1805

Having read up on the longevity of the Persona 74s (in the main) I thought I would persevere. I decided to put the blade in the Feather AS-D2, and it was quite a good shave.

Maybe I went too hard too fast on the original shave with these on the Slim. It was my first time for both the razor and the blade. That said I think I may leave it on the Feather and test longevity.

I can get generally 2 from a feather, 4-5 from a Polsilver. Research says that Personas should be able to get greater than 15 shaves.

Maybe @Phil. But that Mr. Research bloke you mentioned needs two blood transfusions a week!

Maybe @Phil. But that Mr. Research bloke you mentioned needs two blood transfusions a week!

We'll see @littleaussiebleeder .. if you don't poke the bear you never know if you'll get mauled. I'm going to leave it on the Feather for the duration of it's life. Considering that this is now my weekday shaver, I could be looking like your namesake at work in short order!

Full_Size_Render_7.jpg

Razor: Colonial Razors – The General, Edwin Jagger Kelvin handle
Blade: Feather Professional (2)
Brush: Semogue 620
Soap: B&M Petrichor

Last night it started raining really heavily in Melbourne just as I was falling asleep, this inspired a bit of a damp earth shave this morning with the Petrichor. I broke out the Semogue 620 , such a great little brush.

Lather shot here.

We'll see @littleaussiebleeder Considering that this is now my weekday shaver, I could be looking like your namesake at work in short order!

Yeah @Phil... I didn't take that user name by accident! When I came back to wet shaving after a hiatus of forty years or so, Mr. Styptic was my best friend for a while! Although I'm still very much an Aussie, I've never been little, and I'm no longer a bleeder...... even though I'm on copious amounts of little pills to stop my blood clotting!

Artq6tt.jpg

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: Guerrilla
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Thäter 2-band Bulb
Lather: Australian Private Reserve Fougere Bourbon Rose
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

A very leisurely and enjoyable Sunday shave - I really love the scent of the Australian Private Reserve soap and the lather was also superb (picture here). The Guerrilla gave another very close and smooth shave - happy days.

I hope you all enjoy your shaves (y)

Saturday & Sunday shave dedicated a @Psmith for reminding me how great the George Butler Keen is and @stillshunter for passing this straight to me a couple of yeaes ago.

Cold water shave
Brush: cheap synth
Soap: Shaver Heaven Aladdin - blue tub
Face leather
Blade: George Butler Keen 6/8

Cheap synth does the job but I prefer the better lather badgers provide. Better quality synths may prove better but I doubt I'll ever own one when this cheapy does the job. Aladdin is a great scented soap reminding me of the Spiced Mahogany soap but less timber scent and more foody, nutmeg/cinnamon type scents. Saturday was a 2-pass shave with no nicks. I didn't shave 'til 3.00pm so did not see the point of tempting a nick with a third pass. This morning's shave (Sunday is church so I try to look like I've made an effort) and I had a small nick on my neck after the first pass but a dab of alum and all sign of blood had gone by the second pass. Completed three passes with no further issues. Both days were great shaves and after @Psmith wanting one of these blades, I'm glad I pulled this straight out of storage from the office.

Last night it started raining really heavily in Melbourne just as I was falling asleep, this inspired a bit of a damp earth shave this morning with the Petrichor.

I like that thinking a lot, I often draw inspiration for the next mornings shave based on the weather and I think about the fragrances I have and usually land on something befitting of my mood :)

I like that thinking a lot, I often draw inspiration for the next mornings shave based on the weather and I think about the fragrances I have and usually land on something befitting of my mood :)
Cheers @todras, it's part of the fun isn't it? Cologne Russe was actually on the cards for today, but the change in weather overnight spoke to me. ;)

Sunday 28 May 2017

c89jg8Swp_nSwhcBf4wEcGoH0CDszasMmnHcW3mX3Hq4RQwK5ntmGS-pj9OXblHyz7c3bNHU3Y8wK9mOqs3X0N28XD9wud7fog=w1920-h1080-no

Mastro Livi RWL34, 15/16 Full Hollow, Spanish Point, Olive Wood

There is something magic in this Mastro Livi RWL34 razor. This RWL34 stainless steel is simply amazing and gives both a very close shave and an irritation free smooth skin. I admit I am very fond about this straight razor - yes, I am very fond of all of Mastro Livi razors I have in my collection - also for the fact I personally watched its making and I also made a video of it. The edge is still very sharp and super performing - it still has the original Mastro Livi honing - and after four years it shaves like the first day. Just Mastro Livi loom strop and hand palm stropping and I was ready to experience the best shave. Amazing straight razor!​

• Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Dr. K Lime Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Super Silvertip Badger, Padouk, 24mm Knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi RWL34, 15/16 Full Hollow, Spanish Point, Olive Wood
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Mennen Skin Bracer

Jrei6ED.jpg

Occam's Original Pre-Shave
Paladin
Timeless
Feather
St James of London Sandalwood & Bergamot
Chatillon Lux Catalan's Prarie Salve
Chatillon Lux Catalan's Prarie Aftershave
Australian Private Reserve - The Santal EDP

The bottom of the jar for the SJOL, two glorious passes, I will miss you old friend...so long and thanks for all the fish :bear:

Razor: Fatboy (wide open)
Blade: Nacet (11)
Brush: high mountain badger
Soap: monsavon
I don't often use the fatboy, it was given to me by a buddy, its in rough condition, you can smell the brass as you use it but I have had this razor open and i have it more aggressive than standard and I just love it.

The Slim is still King!
No pics, sorry! But had to share.
Got a great shave this morning using the Slim for the first time in a little while (have been using the newly acquired Red Tip and Fatboy since getting them) and it did not disappoint!
Pre: Shower
Razor: Slim on 3
Blade: Permasharp 3rd or 4th use
Soap: P&B Sanskrit

Two passes, WTG and XTG, for a close, irritation free DFS. The Slim is still the King in my bathroom :)

Status
Not open for further replies.