Australian Private Reserve The Santal Aftershave
Australian Private Reserve The Santal EDP

Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Brush: 1092 synthetic
Soap/Cream: B&M Cheshire
Post Shave: Alum, Thayer's unscented
Aftershave Splash: B&M Reserve Spice

Whenever I get to Barrister & Mann in my rotation, I am always surprised by how comfortable the shave is, how little irritation I experience, and how lovely and smooth my skin is afterwards. I don't think it has ever failed me... And this is no mean feat given my problem skin and terrible technique.
I am equally happy with 'Lavanille' and am hoping for more of the same with 'Cologne Russe' (ordered last night).

Also, I am very happy with the Gillette Silver Blues. Effortless shaves provided I make sure to apply ZERO pressure. I get the feeling that if I try to fight it, it will bite me. But, we are getting along nicely so far.
I have noticed that people tend to fall into one of two camps: Those who love Feathers, Polsilvers, and SilverBlues vs those who hate them.
I love them. I *think* that is a function of a) I have naturally oily skin (maybe that adds cushion?) and b) I have coarse hair and the extra sharpness means I don't have to tug the razor.
At any rate, I am enjoying these blades and will likely buy them all in bulk once I work through my current blade-stash.

Pre shave wash with Windsor soap
Feather AC DX with Kai guarded blade (12)
Tim's Greek Peach
Omega 48
Re-lather and cold rinse

A lovely 3 pass BBS. But seriously, where has this brush been all my life? I absolutely love it! I used the same soap as yesterday when I used my Proraso brush and I got more lather in a quarter of the time it took me to get the bubbles out of it before. I am amazed at the difference the extra loft makes (and I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few more bristles in this knot). With the extra loft, the bristles do so much more of the work and I don't have to press down half as much, making the experience much softer, even though this is the first use. A very gentle, effective and voluminous lathering process. And the boar bristle still has plenty of backbone, with the brush splaying just enough. A few bristles were shed in the de-funking but nothing of concern - I can see that we are going to get along very well...

People say how big and unwieldy this knot can be, which prevented me from buying it previously but I don't find that at all - the lack of splay makes it more controllable, so it behaves like a smaller knot. And the loft is perfect - did I mention I just love this brush? And that's all before I mention the price...!

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade(s): Persona 74 (1)
Brush: Simpsons Super Chubby 2
Soap/Cream: Soapmakers of Awesometown

Well I cleaned and sanitised the Gillette Slim Adjustable and loaded it with the Personas I got with it. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have!

I usually only use Soapmakers of Awersometown on weekends, but this was a special moment. I set the Gillette to 5 (about mid way) and applied it to my lathered up face and felt for the angle I needed and commenced.

It was not a pleasant experience. I should have gone lighter, should have gone slower .. should have .. should have. Even after dialling back to 2 I could feel the burn. Copious amounts of Thayers and I have stemmed the flow of blood to a trickle.

Live and learn .. we will try again tomorrow with perhaps Polsilvers.

I bought a couple of packs of Personnas and tried them in my '62 Slim (settings 2, 5 &7) and had one of the worst shaves I have ever experienced. And yet, I tried one in a fat-handle tech and it was reasonably good! Horses for courses? Who knows. Now that Slim uses Astras almost exclusively!

I bought a couple of packs of Personnas and tried them in my '62 Slim (settings 2, 5 &7) and had one of the worst shaves I have ever experienced. And yet, I tried one in a fat-handle tech and it was reasonably good! Horses for courses? Who knows. Now that Slim uses Astras almost exclusively!

Thanks @littleaussiebleeder.. might give the Astras a go if the Polsilvers don't work out!

First Injector Shave - A Tale of Two Chypres
20170526_071921.jpg

Razor: Schick Injector (first use)
Blade: Schick NOS Injector Blade (first use)
Soap: APR Winterfell
Brush: TF Ash & Gold Synthetic

Thoughts...
- My first injector shave. It's a very gentle beast but in three passes I had a BBS without even being close to a nick or weeper. A lovely experience.
- APR Winterfell is growing on me as my nose picks up more of the notes. It pairs in an interesting way with Aramis (one spray only!) I felt rather special walking out of the house today.

Last edited:
ZZJvvT0.jpg

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: Guerrilla
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Thäter 2-band Bulb
Lather: Mystic Water Jeff's Lavender
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

The Guerrilla and I are getting now very well along - it is such a joy to use and doesn't have to hide one bit behind my standard gap Wolfman in the shaving department. The new Thäter is a lathering machine (lather picture here) and I certainly didn't expect the amount of backbone. My first true bulb and it actually feels quiet nice.

Wishing you all a fantastic Friday (y)(y)(y)

Wonderfully close and smooth 2 pass DFS++ with a blade that was causing problems but now shaves extremely well.

Preshave: Hot towel on face for 30 seconds and repeat 3 times.

Blade: Gotta 120
Brush: Semogue 830 - a fantastic brush
Soap: One of mine

Soap: One of mine
Kudos on getting involved! I'm sure most of us here secretly want to give it a go but don't because of busy/lazy/scarey/etc...
:)

(I assume you don't mass-produce. If so, I will slink away sheepishly)

@littleaussiebleeder yep "The Stray Whisker" is Australian. Based in Lithgow, if memory serves.
I use them (and others) all the time.
In fact, I placed another order about 24 hours ago.

Thursday, May 25
Brush: Omega Synthetic Hi-Brush
Soap: Proraso Green
Razor: Rockwell 6s (1)
Blade: Derby (1)
Lotion: Omega Alum Stick / Mennen Skin Bracer / Nivea Post Shave Balm

Full Disclosure: This shave, with plate 1 of the Rockwell 6s, followed Wednesday's shave with the Slim set at +5 and while using the 7 O'Clock Green blade. This was the worst shave I can recall, with any razor, ever. It resulted in half a dozen weepers. I was very surprised by this, as I have used the Slim (without difficulty at a +3 setting, but occasionally at a higher setting) for years. But I noticed the several posts from Slim users who have recently had a similar experience and thought I would share this information. On the plus side, the weepers were tiny and disappeared when I used an alum stick. The shave was absolutely bbs (but it seems I removed a bit of skin along with the stubble).

Anyway, as we see, the following day's shave was with plate 1 of the 6s and a Derby blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.