Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
BUisWkz.jpg
My shave this morning was a cracker. Just a shame my mail call consisted of the razor I was building up my hair growth for that I shaved this morning, nevertheless a beautiful and effortless shave with the SE again. Happy shaving everyone
Razor: ATT SE1
Blade: Feather AC Professional (4)
Soap: Wolfpac Pine-o-mite
Brush: TF Custom Synthetic
AS: Nivea 2 Phase Aftershave Lotion

Razor: Vintage British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Platinum (1)
Brush: Shavemac 'Americana' DO1
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Marlborough shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Pitralon 'Swiss' splash

Ahhh....

I was curious as to whether I could get a good lather out of the D R Harris. Worked it and worked it and had lather everywhere - the answer is yes!

The Schick was smooth and sharp, a joy to use, and the Pitralon a great way to finish.

Have a great [long] weekend guys!

Another Artist club shave today
But topped it off with some old spice swagger, nice splash this actually, not a great shave this morning but I didn't sleep well last night and have been up since 3am.

Razor: artist club
Blade: feather pro
Soap: monsavon
Brush: 25mm silvertip
Splash: Swagger

686B2873-944E-4FD2-A223-E41EE61274EB_zpsblnszcq2.jpg

Preshave: Coconut oil
Brush: Shavemac
Soap: Washpool Lanolin
Razor: Damascus 6/8
Post shave: Jojoba

Scored some new hones which filled some holes in my progression. Made bevel refinement so much easier. This blade was the first on the new stones. Shave this morning confirmed what looked like a good edge last night. Made me think some of my other blades are due for a touch up.
Not so much of a fan of the lanolin smell of the lanolin soap but I like the Washpool soaps and no complaint about performance.

Last edited:
18767902_1582320268447072_3604595917027923559_n.jpg

Brush: Simpsons, PJ2
Soap: Dr Jon's, Savannah Sunrise
Razor: Ever Ready, E-Bar
Blade: Gem SS

Great shave, thought I would use the Savannah Sunrise as there doesn't seem to be much of a Wollongong sunrise this morning.

First use of the E-Bar. Similar head to the Featherweight but, obviously, a little heavier. The shave is fairly mild, by SE standards, but a comfortable efficient shave. Great razor. I know I say that about all of my SE's but they're all great! Which one is the best? The best is yet to come.....

You've got to love those Gem blades.
18952527_1582320205113745_6266183844794885681_n.jpg

fDgximb.jpg

Musgo Glyce
Doug Korn D7
Mergress XL
Feather
Barrister & Mann Lavanille
Barister & Mann Lavanille Aftershave
Australian Private Reserve LixiviantX EDP

A leisurely Saturday shave, two passes, wonderful :)

Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable (6)
Blade(s): Polsilver (2)
Brush: Simpsons Super Chubby 2
Soap/Cream: APR Mycroft

I really got a lather up on the Mycroft today. Good for the first two passes but probably needed a touch more water for the third pass as it was a little dry by then.

The pH of skin products is an interesting item. Traditional hydroxide saponified hand/body/shaving soaps are usually in the 9.5 - 11.0 pH range. I had a very valuable discussion with @alfredus when I had been making soap for about 6 months on the subject of soap pH at one of our Adelaide meetings. I had a few soaps I had made plus Proraso, Mike's B&M and a couple of others and they were all correctly made with full saponification of fats with a pH around 10. As @alfredus pointed out my comparison was just that and I agree as it was by no means a scientific methodology. I loaded the same brush with the same production of lather with the same amount of water and then filled the pH meter cap with lather and took a reading. Each sample was similar to the others in the shaving soap tests I did.

"Apparently" it takes 3 - 5 hours for the skin to return to its normal pH range in many people.

"Normal healthy skin has potential of hydrogen (pH) range of 5.4-5.9 and a normal bacterial flora. Use of soap with high pH causes an increase in skin pH, which in turn causes an increase in dehydrative effect, irritability and alteration in bacterial flora. The majority of soaps and shampoos available in the market do not disclose their pH."

"The surface of the skin is slightly acidic, giving rise to the concept of the acid mantle.[1] Studies have shown that potential of hydrogen (pH) of skin increases in proportion to the pH of cleanser used. Increase in pH causes an increase in dehydrative effect, irritability and propionibacterial count.[2,3,4] Changes in the pH are reported to play a role in the pathogenesis of some skin diseases. Therefore, the use of skin cleansing agents with a pH of about 5.5 may be of relevance in the prevention and treatment of those skin diseases.[5,6] Unfortunately, pH is not mentioned in the labels of many products."

--

There are a few both liquid and bar 5.5 pH cleansers to use after removing your lather if you feel you need them.

Steve
That's why I use Jojoba oil post shave as it is supposed to be the closest approximation to our own skins oil. But it still raises the question of whether it would be better to use a low pH alternative to shaving soap. Got me thinking now - just when I was about to go and make a batch of shaving soap too.

I tried making a low pH shaving soap and it was not successful using normal saponification with Hydroxides. Low pH shaving foams and soaps made commercially probably use detergents of some kind [sls or similar] to create the foam while maintaining a pH around 7.

For many/most the short time a high pH soap is on the skin is not an issue but for some it can create skin problems. I am in the later category but make traditional soap and try to get the pH back to normal quickly.

Enjoy making your soap :) If you had a pH meter you could "possibly" create a pH 5.5 skin rinse with a few drops of Lemon juice in water as a splash.

Shower
Feather AC DX non folding with Pro Super blade (7)
Speick Stick
Omega 49
Bulldog ASB

2 pass DFS+. First outing with Speick and reasonably impressed on all counts except residual slickness although I suspect I needed even more water - this soap took a lot of water and refused to break down, which is always a good thing. Typical tallow lather, which is to say excellent...

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 10 June 2017

Brush: - Semogue 2000 25/60mm
Cream/Soap: - Stirling Island Man
Razor: - Rockwell 6C - R4 base plate
Blade: - Astra Superior Platinum
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Lemon' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm

I've borrow my brother new Rockwell 6C the new chrome version and is lighter than the Rockwell 6s stainless steel version and the balance in my hand is almost perfect without any issue, I went straight to plate R4 using the Astra SP blade both combination shave perfectly well and pretty smooth throughout the whole shave without any nicks, cuts and irritation. I strongly prefer my Colonial General aluminum head which has a far better performance than the Rockwell, because Colonial General aluminum head gives me the most smoothest and closest shave similar to a Muhle R41 with any further irritation.

I"m going back to my General in my next shave sorry Rockwell.

iqhVwaj.gif

I strongly prefer my Colonial General aluminum head
I had decided to buy the Colonial General (al) head a couple of weeks ago, which is a big deal since I am always hesitant to pull the trigger.
But I was crushed to find out they aren't available anymore.
And, I'd prefer a stainless one over the out-going brass.
*sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.