Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had decided to buy the Colonial General (al) head a couple of weeks ago, which is a big deal since I am always hesitant to pull the trigger.
But I was crushed to find out they aren't available anymore.
And, I'd prefer a stainless one over the out-going brass.
*sigh*

@lerenau when Colonial Razor release the General stainless steel I am 100% going to buy two when they come out hopefully soon this year (y):whistle:

@lerenau when Colonial Razor release the General stainless steel I am 100% going to buy two when they come out hopefully soon this year (y):whistle:
I will almost certainly grab one too... The cost in $ is less than my cost in angst. (I swear I don't have a problem - yet)

But, I have to ask: Why would you buy two?

Yes Shave
20170610_172914.jpg

Razor: Colonial General with Windrose handle
Blade: Feather Pro (6)
Soap: APR Mycroft
Brush: TF Ash and Gold Synthetic

Thoughts...
- With the arrival of my Mycroft EdP (thanks @todras) it was time to swap out Winterfell. Perfect BBS with a divine scent profile right the way through.
- I am a walking embodiment of sophisticated inappropriateness with this package as I head out to dinner. Oh, baby.

Not a fan of the latha splashes, so ended up washing it off and using Myrsol f extra

Me either man!

If you leave them sit for a week or two without shaking or agitation they will separate with the oil and solution splitting perfectly and floating on the top. There is something in the composition of the latha splashes that does not sit well with me, same goes for the face feel - it's just odd and I don't really care for it at all.

The Barristers Reserve though, by golly they are good facial toners that are just flawless and I also really like the tonique range, cracking good stuff on both those fronts.

RJrprzB.jpg

Today's SOTD was a beauty. Got my Timeless OC .95 blade gap in the mail yesterday and got to shave with it today. Gorgeous razor. Almost up there with my feather ASD2. Just not quite as smooth but many more shaves to come. Happy shaving everyone
Razor: Timeless OC .95
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Brush: Kent VS70
Soap: Wolfpac Italian Orchard

78661802-ABE6-491F-85CF-249359968CA8_zpsm739eygg.jpg

Pre:
Valobra Glicerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus
Soap: Stirling Margaritas In The Arctic
Razor: Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Modern Gillette Platinum (1)
EDP: APR The Santal

Three passes, and very close to BBS. The modern Gillette blade is sharp, but not as buttery-smooth as the vintage Wilkie I'd last been using. Still - no complaints.
Lovely slick lather from the Stirling soap. The scent of MITA is citrus with a hint of menthol. Performance-wise, the menthol is quite mild - just a subtle refreshing sensation.
The APR Santal is a one-off from @todras. It opens with some serious timber, but in the dry down, a gorgeous pure, creamy sandalwood emerges.
A great finish to a wonderful shave!

19059941_1583599864985779_2082923026381444940_n.jpg

Brush: Simpsons PJ2
Soap: APR, Suitably Attired Australian
Razor: Gem, Damaskeene
Blade: Gem SS

Lovely Sunday shave, soft and smooth.
Feeling good and smelling great.

Have a great Sunday and enjoy your shave.

Don't be late, get yourself a Damaskeene!
18951190_1583598051652627_4070383934511544787_n.jpg

Razor: Vintage British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Platinum (2)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson '46' reknotted in pure
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Marlborough shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Pitralon 'Swiss' splash

Even better on the second day!

4NsuCBc.jpg

Occam's Original
Paladin Falstaff
Mergress XL
Feather
Soaps by Luna Higo Y Vainilla
Chatillon Lux Blackberry Blossom Bay Salve
Australian Private Reserve Bay City Aftershave
Australian Private Reserve Bay City EDP

Beautiful lather with Fig & Vanilla & two passes. Bay rum, spice and sweet currant notes for accoutrements, a fantastic Sunday winter shave :)

Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable (6)
Blade(s): Polsilver (2)
Brush: Simpsons Super Chubby 2
Soap/Cream: Truefit and Hill 1805
Stray Whisker Balm (sample pot I got)

Using a "7" yesterday was after consideration a little "rash" so tried a "6"

E02A9EC2-AB4A-4C7E-982D-E5BCEB50C8AC_zpsgrnhmtqx.jpg

Preshave: Coconut Oil
Brush: Shavemac
Soap: Pbgoose puck No: 1 HP
Razor: Brucke 6/8
Post Shave: Jojoba Oil, Essential oils, vodka mix

@bald as, first puck off the line. Thanks @bald as for the help. Lathered easily and fine to shave with. Was creamy but missing the silk. Largest component was Olive oil. Will probably back off on the stearic next batch to get a softer soap. Has some Kaolin but will add some Bentonite next batch as well. Open to suggestions.

Never thought I'd be using my Hornady reloading scales for soap making but multitasking is good, right?

Never had a bad shave off the Brucke yet.

Last edited:
Hi @Pbgoose good to see you taking the plunge with Hot process soap. Fine tuning a soap for personal use is an interesting task.
If you search for posts by @khun_diddy on soap making you will find a lot of material he posted to this forum he made using olive oil.
Remember the difference between a good soap and an excellent soap can be as little as an oil percentage difference in the recipe.

@khun_diddy made many changes of small percentages over many batches based on our original recipe. Some of the changes were dramatic and some very subtle. The basic olive oil soap recipe is one we started with about 2 yrs ago.

We have two excellent commercial soap maker on this forum @SchoolForAnts and @Sxot who may have some general tips as well if you post the recipe and ask further questions.

You have just placed you head in the rabbit hole and now the fun begins :)

cqegahIl.jpg

Razor: Red Tip
Blade: SuperMax Platinum
Brush: TF Custom Chubby w/30mm Maggard knot
Soap: SC Courage
Splash: Fine Santal Absolut
Balm: Stirling Spice

Very nice Sunday morning shave :) Not 100% sure about the blade though. From memory this was my first time using one, and while it was very smooth (like, I didn't feel the blade at all) I didn't find the shave to be as close as I am accustomed to. I'll give it another go, but I think it may not be sharp enough for my tastes.

Relaxed Sunday shave, Aventus 'Creed' homage with the Pantie Dropper

Oh, so that's what it is... I picked up a puck in a US lot and couldn't put my finger on the fragrance. A rather queer approximation of Creed, but MLSW makes some great fragrances :)

Status
Not open for further replies.