Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
One for shaving and the other one for safe keeping and you can't be too careful if my wet shaving gear get robbed ;)

Wat. :D

Wouldn't it be a much better idea to invest in effective security and or a safe rather than duplicate items that in the absence of security, may also just be stolen too man ?

Wat. :D

Wouldn't it be a much better idea to invest in effective security and or a safe rather than duplicate items that in the absence of security, may also just be stolen too man ?
That's what the razor theives want you to think.

TKBr96ml.jpg

Brush: Simfix 404 Two Band Silvertip
Razor: Weber
Blade: Personna Blue
Soap: OSP Bay Rum
A/S: Wahl Bay Rum

ghCLrjz.jpg

Cold edit for a winter shave. Absolutely beautiful, soap didn't match splash 100% as the soap is orange peel and clovey, whereas the splash is less clove and more currant. Splash wins out for me ;) amazing work @todras few weepers but comfortable shave. Btw Sunday drink this evening was Orchard Thieves Apple Cider. Gorgeous clean and smooth crisp cider.
Have some splendid shaves everyone
Razor: Timeless OC
Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)
Soap: Sudsy Soapery Citrus and Bay
Brush: Kent VS70

whereas the splash is less clove and more currant. Splash wins out for me

There is actually no clove in Bay City as I think it has a tendency to really cloy in designs and bulldoze other more refined notes, Bay City has the following...

Top Notes: Black Currant Absolute, Red Currant
Heart Notes:
Cinnamon, Sweet Orange
Base Notes:
Benzoin, Musk, Peru Balsam, West Indian Bay

:)

There is actually no clove in Bay City as I think it has a tendency to really cloy in designs and bulldoze other more refined notes, Bay City has the following...

Top Notes: Black Currant Absolute, Red Currant
Heart Notes: Cinnamon, Sweet Orange
Base Notes: Benzoin, Musk, Peru Balsam, West Indian Bay

:)
Woo! Was right with the currant. And I completely agree. I dont fancy overwhelming clove. Everything in moderation. But wow, none at all, what a beauty! Super happy with it, do you have any SAA in stock? TSW didn't have the full set in stock when I checked :(

Woo! Was right with the currant. And I completely agree. I dont fancy overwhelming clove. Everything in moderation. But wow, none at all, what a beauty! Super happy with it, do you have any SAA in stock? TSW didn't have the full set in stock when I checked :(

I am no longer doing retail sales in Australia, all the APR soaps and splashes are being handled by Con at the Stray Whisker as he is best placed to offer my products and meet outcome expectations. It is his business, an aussie business, and he is highly proficient in all aspects that relate to his wet-shaving concern. Con's representation of Australian Private Reserve in the US recently (and through his outlet) has been exemplary, and I am proud to have my products offered by him.

If you drop him an email and ask him about SAA, I am sure he will assist you :)

Before it slips my mind too... I will only be doing the LE releases in the future and they will be pre-order only as will the EDP's. As I navigate APR forward, both financially and in relation to time allocation it is necessary that I attenuate my Work/APR/life balance to something that is agreeable, productive and balanced to my wife and I.

I am no longer doing retail sales in Australia, all the APR soaps and splashes are being handled by Con at the Stray Whisker as he is best placed to offer my products and meet outcome expectations. It is his business, an aussie business, and he is highly proficient in all aspects that relate to his wet-shaving concern. Con's representation of Australian Private Reserve in the US recently (and through his outlet) has been exemplary, and I am proud to have my products offered by him.

If you drop him an email and ask him about SAA, I am sure he will assist you :)

Before it slips my mind too... I will only be doing the LE releases in the future and they will be pre-order only as will the EDP's. As I navigate APR forward, both financially and in relation to time allocation it is necessary that I attenuate my Work/APR/life balance to something that is agreeable, productive and balanced to my wife and I.
Respect that 100% mate. Glad you're in the situation of APR getting more and more demand. No emotion other than happiness for you mate. Should be proud

Sunday 11 June 2017

SWYeRMo1DP1tm_lFHKHOeDdUJYIEQT7Z3MwjUpgncREEHrsOlwXmAVodTGmq--d3yuQQz1FlyZFMDD7UdR8oP-Pr2bJA5VJztVM=w1366-h768-no

Getting Ready to Go Back Home

This month's trip is over and I am getting ready to go back home. Before leaving, as usual, it is good to shave and to do that the best possible way. This Mastro Livi RWL34 certainly is the very best way and this straight razor gave me superb and excellent shaves during this trip. The edge a RWL34 straight razor can take is something incredible in terms of shaving performance and excellence. It is not so hard to put a very good edge on a RWL34 blade and it always delivers a luxurious, super close and smooth shave. Mastro Livi RWL34 razors certainly are among my favorite ones - it is not by chance I have three of them - and they all are amazing shavers. My almond oil shaving cream and the Aqua Velva Ice Blue aftershave have been the perfect companion to this great shave. Now I am ready to pack and heading home.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Almond Oil Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Omega Bristle 10275
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi RWL34, 8/8 Full Hollow, Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Razor: Vintage British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Platinum (3)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'M1'
Soap/Cream: Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars splash

Well, winter has come this weekend. Cold, foggy mornings, visibility about 100 metres. I needed something to warm me up and the Cognac and Cuban Cigars certainly did the job. Not a complex scent profile - but definitely intoxicating!

Performance from the soap was good and the splash is pleasant - but not as restorative as some. The scent though, did I tell you it is wonderful?

19023684_1584982944847471_640916476207162320_o.jpg

Brush: HJM, boar
Soap: Squadron, Spitfire
Razor: Gem, Micromatic OC
Blade: Gem SS

Lovely shave with my favourite soap, love the scent.
Two passes with the MM OC, not really needed after yesterdays efficient shave but a BBS with no nicks or weepers.

Have a great day, enjoy your shaves.

It was just like having my own personal barber!
19059239_1584983471514085_7809654824280216228_n.jpg

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 12 June 2017

Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm
Cream/Soap: - Wholly Kaw - Monaco Royale (tallow)
Razor: - Colonial General Aluminum Head with the iKon Bulldog Handle
Blade: - Schick Proline P-30 #3
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Rose Petal' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm

19023684_1584982944847471_640916476207162320_o.jpg

Brush: HJM, boar
Soap: Squadron, Spitfire
Razor: Gem, Micromatic OC
Blade: Gem SS

Lovely shave with my favourite soap, love the scent.
Two passes with the MM OC, not really needed after yesterdays efficient shave but a BBS with no nicks or weepers.

Have a great day, enjoy your shaves.

It was just like having my own personal barber!
19059239_1584983471514085_7809654824280216228_n.jpg
Nice ad - didn't realise GEM made double edge blades for these razors!

Nice ad - didn't realise GEM made double edge blades for these razors!
Good spot! I should have looked closer myself, too busy looking at the tiny barber!
Interesting, I suppose there would simply be an edge either side and the bumps in the bottom plate mean the angle would still be right without the spine. So they wouldn't work in something like a 1912.
I might look out for some, glad you spotted that

Found some:

Mouse over to Zoom
-
Click to enlarge

Last edited:
Shower
Feather AC DX with Pro Super blade (8)
Palmolive Lather Shave Cream by Mennen
Omega 48
Bulldog ASB

Another 2 pass BBS with touch ups. Come down with a lurgy so off the bike today. I find a balm useful in winter if I'm not sweating it out afterwards... Found this cream at the bottom of one of my drawers so I thought "why not?". Using twice as much product and lathering twice as long as I would previously have, it gave a very acceptable shave - not the slickest, not the densest etc but not particularly lacking in any area either...

FLnBX5U.jpg

Musgo Glyce
Paladin
Timeless
Feather
Barrister & Mann Fougère Imperiale
Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère Salve
Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère Aftershave
Chatillon Lux Sylva EDT

A Monday shave with a difference, very relaxed :)

Good spot! I should have looked closer myself, too busy looking at the tiny barber!
Interesting, I suppose there would simply be an edge either side and the bumps in the bottom plate mean the angle would still be right without the spine. So they wouldn't work in something like a 1912.
I might look out for some, glad you spotted that

Found some:

Mouse over to Zoom
-
Click to enlarge

Come to think of it that might be why the bumps were added, to use a double edge blade, I hear the early OCs didn't have them. Also, I'm told the micromatics were the first Gems that were designed for the thinner SE blades, that we can still buy today, so the bumps would have accommodated newer and older blades. With earlier Gems etc. you should theoretically be using a shim to compensate for the thinner spine in a modern blade to give the designed angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.